IGNORED

Thoughts on today's game

Londoner

First half I thought we were slow, lacklustre and completely at a loss in the final third. O'Dowda was the one positive who reminds me of Adomah the way he runs at players....a really impressive debut.

I can't see the first half tactics sticking this season. Kodjia has to start but you can't lump long balls into him....3cbs v him is a recipe for disaster.....

Kodjia got a bit of stick today but the way he creates chances for himself makes him a priceless asset....when running at the back 3 they really struggled....and typical Kodjia needs chances and should of taken one today......him and Abraham COULD be unbelievable upfront....we looked so much better when playing together.

Brownhill was a disappointment, slightly lightweight IMO and the game passed him by. 

Hodor was DIRE first half....out of position and bullied by Grigg....delighted that he was excellent in the 2nd....no doubt he will need time to adapt, I was very worried first half with him though!!

Fair play to LJ, subs made a huge difference....was impressed with Freeman when he came on, played the right balls at the right time.

Reasons to be cheerful after the very average first half.....Abraham and O'Dowda looked excellent and for hodor definately a game of two halfs.

Word for the ref who I thought was excellent.

I was watching Tomlin thinking what on earth was he doing....but he was kicked by Brownhill right in front of me during the warm up which might explain it.....I'm hoping it was because he was injured as if not the attitude and lack of work would be inexcusable.

Simply substitutions changed the game . Bobby and tammy scored and Luke freeman excellent and direct . Depth of squad looks good. Just got to make sure we score when on top early and get Tomlin on the ball more. All in all great start , important win with tough fixtures ahead.

I think my biggest gripe of the day is that we've bought Hordor as a ball playing centre half and yet it was still Flint doing a lot of the passing and not very accurately. Brilliant defender but my god, just pass it to Pack, O'Neil, Hordor or a FB. 

Hordor adapted well from first to second half. Ayling had a really good game. Joe was so good going forward. Probably had the most shots from LB!

GON I thought slowly got more into the game and by the end he was fantastic. Pack I thought should've stayed on at the time as I thought he was very strong in there and done well keeping possesion and moving it on. Brownhill put in a good shift but passed behind players too many times and faded out as it went on. 

COD looked amazing in the first half. A real player and hope he is ok. Lee Tomlin was not at his best. Won despite him being poor which is a great sign. Had a few moment of magic though and always threatens to change a game. JK made all the runs. Selfish at times but ran their defenders ragged. 

Tammy Abraham was brilliant. Strong, fast and skilful. Bobby came on and did OK. Lucky with the goal I think. Freeman put in a nice shift as well. 

A typical opening season match for City; not running smoothly at this stage but oh boy, do they keep going and in the end deserved the win against a reasonable Wigan side who may well have won if they had not tried to hold a 1-0 lead for all of the second half.

We'll get better as players get up to speed and match fit. 

Brownhill was pretty poor, but then it's the first game of hopefully a long and successful career here. LT doggedly out left was a total waste of time. Kodjia was completely isolated. 

We might be able to work with different players in training but the lack of understanding up top today was dreadful. O Dowda looks like he can slot straight in, for now I'd have him Tomlin and Reid our front three. Mention for Freeman who was terrific when he came on too. Keep that up he'll play his way in to the 11 before many games are out. 

I didn't think it was the best of performances, especially in the first half. In the second we improved and going with two up top with Abraham made a real difference.

Tomlin wasn't at his best (a dead leg might explain it) also think there is more to come with the majority of that side. The best sides grind out results though! Encouraging to think about some of the football we could play when everyone is fully fit and on form.

Not the best performance, but got a good result on a great day in our lush new stadium and I think there's more to come! COYR!

Re comments on Tomlin, yes he got an almighty whack in warm up and according to LJ was touch and go if he was going to start !  (Radio Brizzle)

My goodness two halfs were like chalk and cheese.  No threat at all first half, second  plenty of threat.  I really hope Kodjia gets another striker along side him, really was a game changer today. 

I and the guys around me couldn't work out why Tomlin was wasted out wide. He barely got a touch I the first half.

That said we were reassured that LJ had a plan.........:facepalm:

It was obviously a top plan with a win and 3 points in the bag......

Noticed there was too much of a gap at times between hordur and Flint which is dangerous against more potent teams. I didn't like the constant playing back to o'donnell just to lump it up and lose possession. We didn't play it around too often either as we were outplaying in midfield. Needed to play out wide more often as when we did, we made things happen.

not fussed about kodjia being selfish. He needs to be if he is to score plenty. Let's not boo it out of him. 7 shots and no goals today but could have scored and on another day would get a couple.

first 60 mins was fairly frustrating and it's clear that we need to work on playing with the front two as we were effective then. Tomlin also needs to be further up the pitch. Was too deep today

28 minutes ago, Londoner said:

First half I thought we were slow, lacklustre and completely at a loss in the final third. O'Dowda was the one positive who reminds me of Adomah the way he runs at players....a really impressive debut.

I can't see the first half tactics sticking this season. Kodjia has to start but you can't lump long balls into him....3cbs v him is a recipe for disaster.....

Kodjia got a bit of stick today but the way he creates chances for himself makes him a priceless asset....when running at the back 3 they really struggled....and typical Kodjia needs chances and should of taken one today......him and Abraham COULD be unbelievable upfront....we looked so much better when playing together.

Brownhill was a disappointment, slightly lightweight IMO and the game passed him by. 

Hodor was DIRE first half....out of position and bullied by Grigg....delighted that he was excellent in the 2nd....no doubt he will need time to adapt, I was very worried first half with him though!!

Fair play to LJ, subs made a huge difference....was impressed with Freeman when he came on, played the right balls at the right time.

Reasons to be cheerful after the very average first half.....Abraham and O'Dowda looked excellent and for hodor definately a game of two halfs.

Word for the ref who I thought was excellent.

I was watching Tomlin thinking what on earth was he doing....but he was kicked by Brownhill right in front of me during the warm up which might explain it.....I'm hoping it was because he was injured as if not the attitude and lack of work would be inexcusable.

You said pretty much everything I thought about the game. I got the feeling there was quite a bit of nerves and many players grew into the game as it progressed, most notably Hordur and GON. 

Also a shout for Joe who was pretty good most of the game and provided a threat down the left. Pack had a solid consistent game too. 

9 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Re comments on Tomlin, yes he got an almighty whack in warm up and according to LJ was touch and go if he was going to start !  (Radio Brizzle)

I must say I don't think LJ had his finest moment in that call then - and don't get me wrong I'm a huge LJ fan and applauded his appointment. 

LT was very poor today. And he was doggedly kept left which did not play to his strengths meanwhile Brownhill had a debut to forget. 

Freeman meanwhile came on and showed glimpses of what he was doing in League One. 

Could LT have been that bad - fitness wise - that he saw out 90mins? I'll stick my neck out and say I don't think LT was that bad and it's a bit of cute interviewing from LJ. I don't think we'll see LT wide and Brownhill CAM - with Reid on the bench - again this season. Dead leg or not. 

Re Hordur and Flint I'm not sure they compliment each other so much, although no doubt Matthews and Golbourne will help with covering. That said the second half from our Icelandic chap was pretty flawless. Could he be an upgrade on Flint than a partner I wonder.... Also noticed he's got a ping of a long throw. That's a new tactic. 

GON is the definition of game manager and Engine Room. Him and Smith together will be very interesting! Would probably say MOTM.

COD, as others have said had a touch of Albert about him, right now very raw but he is fast, and will cause a few full backs some trouble this season.

Tomlin looked out of sorts, but understand that he was playing with a knock, which explains why he wasn't quite himself.

Hodor, got a lot to learn has the lad! Grew into the game but looked like a liability first half. If he keeps improving though he'll do well with Flint, who once again was excellent.

Kodjia was his usual frustrating self, could have made a pass to Brownhill in the first and Tammy in the second to send them through but didn't, luckily didn't matter.

A word on Joe Bryan finally, LJ clearly sees him as a LB, and today I thought he has a good game, deserved a goal in fact, time will tell but I do feel his skills are suited better higher up the pitch.

Overall it reminded me of Fulham away last year, poor first half with tactics not really right, but second half coming out with a better game plan and being a bit more convicted in the final third. Ultimately though, three points is the best start you can ask for!

Posted this on another forum just now, my thoughts from the game.

I've just got home and have to say that was a game of 2 halves. First half we were very poor, Wigan weren't great but were the better side in the first half, second half we were much improved and Tammy Abraham was a constant thorn in the Wigan defence.

Special mentions for a few City players:

Kodjia- The worst performance I've seen from him, far too selfish today, though he nearly bagged a goal at the end.
Tomlin- As with Kodjia, the worst I've seen him, not that he was selfish, he just didn't affect the game much at all.
Magnusson- Very shaky in the first half but grew into the game, by the end of the second half he was looking very impressive. 
Abraham- As said above, from the minute he came on until the end he was causing Wigan problems at the back, was also credited with a goal, though I think that'll be changed.
O'Dowda- The opposite of Magnusson, was our best player in the first half, playing on the right, but despite this we tried to do everything on the otherside of the pitch. Faded away after he got a clobbering late in the first half.

Also to add, I think Kodjia and Abraham will both learn a lot from each other, where Abraham has come through the acadamy of one of the top clubs in the country he will have some of the tactical nous Kodjia lacks, while Kodjia can teach Abraham things he's learned with his experience.

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

Posted this on another forum just now, my thoughts from the game.

I've just got home and have to say that was a game of 2 halves. First half we were very poor, Wigan weren't great but were the better side in the first half, second half we were much improved and Tammy Abraham was a constant thorn in the Wigan defence.

Special mentions for a few City players:

Kodjia- The worst performance I've seen from him, far too selfish today, though he nearly bagged a goal at the end.
Tomlin- As with Kodjia, the worst I've seen him, not that he was selfish, he just didn't affect the game much at all.
Magnusson- Very shaky in the first half but grew into the game, by the end of the second half he was looking very impressive. 
Abraham- As said above, from the minute he came on until the end he was causing Wigan problems at the back, was also credited with a goal, though I think that'll be changed.
O'Dowda- The opposite of Magnusson, was our best player in the first half, playing on the right, but despite this we tried to do everything on the otherside of the pitch. Faded away after he got a clobbering late in the first half.

There is another forum?

The subs and switching to 2 up front certainly made the difference today. Tammy looks real class, surely has to start against Burton. Kodjia was very frustrating today, wasted some good positions being too selfish and with exception of late shot which hit the post, his shooting was woeful. LT as others have said struggled. COD was main bright spark of the first half, but faded in second. Pack did OK, but typically slowed play too often, Reid showed loads more tempo. Freeman played really well too after coming on. Not overly impressed with Brownhill, tried hard but offered little for me. Way too many long balls in first half.

OK as I saw it through Gold coloured glasses.

Wouldn't have started the 2 full backs , but I guess they both did OK , specially in the second half.

Hodour will improve I have no doubt and Flint looked good

Odowda looked our only threat in the first half and looks very promising

LT was out of sorts, and yet one determined run and pass in the second half showed his class.

Kodjia annoyed me at times but Abrahams may be the kick up the ass he needs

The subs changed the game and so I's say my MotM was Lee Johnson for making the changes, he said we will get better and I'm sure we will.

Archived