IGNORED

Thoughts on today's game

Londoner

Didn't realise Tomlin was injured until after the game. Was very ineffective on the left of 3 but much more comfortable in the centre behind Kodj and Abraham. Freeman did well when he came on too. O'dowda could be a real talent. I like how Johnson isn't tied to 1 formation. I think Cotts would have stayed 3-5-2 to the end and might even have lost the game. 

Everyone's summed up my thoughts. O'Dowda best for us first half. I would have given Joe Bryan MOM. Thought he was excellent at the back and going forward. 

Tomlin obviously not himself, but still good enough for some nice touches and passing always fine.

Abraham looked quality: strong and powerful lad. And showed Kodjia how to finish.

Isn't Kodjia an infuriating player? Never looks up. Never passes when he should. The more time he takes on the ball, the poorer he does. I think he's someone who does better when shooting first time. Still looks like a player who needs 5 chances on average per game.

Abraham should keep him on his toes. Kodjia will benefit from having a partner with him.

Reid looked lively. Think he can count himself unlucky not to have started. He's improved so much.

Relieved with the win. We'll play better this season. 

2 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Everyone's summed up my thoughts. O'Dowda best for us first half. I would have given Joe Bryan MOM. Thought he was excellent at the back and going forward. 

Tomlin obviously not himself, but still good enough for some nice touches and passing always fine.

Abraham looked quality: strong and powerful lad. And showed Kodjia how to finish.

Isn't Kodjia an infuriating player? Never looks up. Never passes when he should. The more time he takes on the ball, the poorer he does. I think he's someone who does better when shooting first time. Still looks like a player who needs 5 chances on average per game.

Abraham should keep him on his toes. Kodjia will benefit from having a partner with him.

Reid looked lively. Think he can count himself unlucky not to have started. He's improved so much.

Relieved with the win. We'll play better this season. 

Completely agree but felt  COD and Brownhills  lack of championship experience showed as they seemed to tire after being subjected to some robust challenges that the ref was slow to give, Hordur in the first half seemed nervous of the occasion and out of position, LJ changed him and Flint over in the second which made the difference.   

27 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

Completely agree but felt  COD and Brownhills  lack of championship experience showed as they seemed to tire after being subjected to some robust challenges that the ref was slow to give, Hordur in the first half seemed nervous of the occasion and out of position, LJ changed him and Flint over in the second which made the difference.   

Pretty sure he didn't change them. Magnusson just took some time to get going.

6 hours ago, Londoner said:

Brownhill was a disappointment, slightly lightweight IMO and the game passed him by.

That sounds very, very familiar.

Genuinely hope it works out for him though. Worth remembering that barring about 2/3 sub appearances for us, he's never played in the Championship before, so might need a bit of time to find his feet in that sense.

1 hour ago, pnefcok said:

That sounds very, very familiar.

Genuinely hope it works out for him though. Worth remembering that barring about 2/3 sub appearances for us, he's never played in the Championship before, so might need a bit of time to find his feet in that sense.

He will be fine, will take another 3/4 games to get up to speed, judge us in a month...

5 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Tomlin was played on the left a fair few times last season and did just fine!

If he was carrying a knock, it's understandable he might have been off the pace.

Listening to the commentary, he certainly wasn't mentioned as frequently as you'd expect our most creative player to be, though when he did get involved, seemed to be effective.  Plus, had a hand in the pressure/move that led to the winner.

The fact that someone of his quality can have an off day, yet we still pull off a comeback victory is for me a good thing; means we've enough options across the side to trouble teams even if not all of them are on top form.

Give him a week to recover and I cannot see Tomlin allowing himself to go two games without making a mark - watching Burton's highlights I think they might be the perfect team for him to 'bounce back' against; some of their defending was atrocious, even if they did look sharp up top.

Word for Freeman too; last year he looked a little like the weight of being our main creator got to him a little, so great for him to come on and contribute to a positive turn around yesterday.  If he can use the experience from last year and his undoubted talent to switch things up and push on, could be like a whole new signing.

Hope Freeman starts at Wycombe and does well; would be great to have the like of him and Bobby pushing the first eleven with positive pressure for starting places.

Thought wigan bossed the first half and we bossed the second. The subs certainly changed the game and well done to LJ not leaving them too late. We had so much attacking talent on in the second half. Draw would probably been a fair result but a welcome 3 points.

I thought Joe Bryan was excellent both in attack and defence, he is so deceptively quick, if LJ is to persevere with him as a left back then I think he will only get better. GON was good although I was a little disappointed in a few of his set pieces. I actually didn't think we did too badly in the first half, there was some interplay around the box that contained good ideas, but broke down because of a lack of understanding between players who perhaps don't know each other totally yet.

We do need to come up with a viable alternative to ROD's long kicks out from the back though, although Joe won a few with his great leaps, it's not a great percentage play.

I thought the game was what I expected for the opening game. We tried hard throughout but seemed hard to support kodjia until Abraham came on. 

Not everyone was firing but we looked impressive last 15 minutes which gives a glimpse of what we could do this season. 

There will be harder tests than wigan but it was a hard game that we came through. They nearly spoiled our party but spirit got us through. It felt a real team effort-fans included.

Started yesterday feeling optimistic and given loads of reasons to carry that through. The great thing about an early 3 points is removing some of the pressure than can build. Sure, improvements need to come but for now I will happily take the experience from yesterday. COYR

Great start to the season, my thoughts:

Defensively we were okay, Magnusson shook off a tentative first half and was excellent in the second.

Joe Bryan was outstanding, Ayling on the other side didn't have a bad game but a fit Adam Matthews will be another step up.

O'Dowda really impressed, direct with pace to burn and Brownhill also looked very comfortable on the ball, surprisingly quick to cover the ground and likes a tackle (he could turn out to be a bargain).

Gary O'Neill was everything I'd expected. Calm, composed and a leader. Pack was steady as ever.

Tomlin and Kodjia were a little isolated in the first half and not involved enough. 

Freeman was excellent when he came on, long may that continue. 

Abraham was simply the game changer, everything sped up when he came on. He has it all and his "football intelligence" if you like, was well beyond his years. He pushed them further and further back, his lay offs and early spot/release of the pass meant Wigan were never set and often in trouble. I'm a massive Kodjia fan but Abraham demonstrated you don't need 12 touches to be effective. 

I appreciate we'll have much sterner tests this season but you'd like to think that given just how much youth is in this squad, they'll only get better.    

This will probably ruffle a few feathers...but I think our biggest problem this season, will be finding a side to fit around Tomlin.

He's a class act...but in the same mold as JET...a luxury player, in that you have to find three players in midfield to cover for his lack of tracking back and defending.

I know he had a dead leg yesterday and was totally ineffective. I'm surprised LJ kept him on the whole game.

It wasn't until Abraham, Freeman and Reid came on that we had more options and some actual movement.

I'm not at all convinced that playing Kodge up front on his own and Tomlin behind is going to work.

I personally think we would be more effective playing Kodge and Abraham/another up front together.

Could we possibly start a game with the formation we played at the end of yesterdays game....something to consider.

I suppose it's a nice problem to have...at least we have options now.

Can see Abraham and Kodge together, being a real force in this Division.

I hope Brownhill improves...seen him a couple times now and not been overly impressed.

We look so much better with Reid and Freeman on the pitch...more movement and options, which brought Kodge into the game better.

Thought Joe Bryan was excellent.

Can see Him and Ayling actually playing regularly in those positions, as they have the ability to come forward and add width...something you need when playing Tomlin, as everything was too narrow to start with.

What is it with throw in's? Why does no one move? And why do Professional footballers still throw the ball, so it bounces up to the receiving player at chest height? School boy stuff that.

Great relief on winning...biggest plus's for me, Hodur and Abraham.

I thought Wigan looked like they might do ok this season, they broke with some neat football and looked quite good defending in numbers too. I think they need to do something about their full backs, left back in particular, he was very tall but nowhere near mobile enough against O'Dowda. The right back needed help when Joe went on the offensive, but even that didn't help when Joe was really flying.

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

This will probably ruffle a few feathers...but I think our biggest problem this season, will be finding a side to fit around Tomlin.

He's a class act...but in the same mold as JET...a luxury player, in that you have to find three players in midfield to cover for his lack of tracking back and defending.

I know he had a dead leg yesterday and was totally ineffective. I'm surprised LJ kept him on the whole game.

It wasn't until Abraham, Freeman and Reid came on that we had more options and some actual movement.

I'm not at all convinced that playing Kodge up front on his own and Tomlin behind is going to work.

I personally think we would be more effective playing Kodge and Abraham/another up front together.

Could we possibly start a game with the formation we played at the end of yesterdays game....something to consider.

I hope Brownhill improves...seen him a couple times now and not been overly impressed.

We look so much better with Reid and Freeman on the pitch...more movement and options, which brought Kodge into the game better.

Can see Him and Ayling actually playing regularly in those positions, as they have the ability to come forward and add width...something you need when playing Tomlin, as everything was too narrow to start with.

What is it with throw in's? Why does no one move? And why do Professional footballers still throw the ball, so it bounces up to the receiving player at chest height? School boy stuff that.

We did, but this were when we were on an all out offensive in a bid to rescue the game.

That situation suits Reid, especially, as there is then less emphasis on the disciplined side of playing in midfield.

I see him being a very useful sub. in these situations, but only a rare starter.

Bar one over hit corner Freeman looked assured on the ball and released it at the right time.

A big bonus to see his confidence apparently restored.

Hordur definitely looked better as the game went on but then so did most of our team. Flint got caught the wrong side of their attackers twice in the first half, first time he recovered to make the block, second time they scored. It was a cracking finish from Gilbey, weren't we linked with him last season? 

Not for the first time Lj substitutions made a massive impact, for me Freeman and Abraham deserve to start at Burton, competition for places and all that.

Even being the first game of the season yesterday's win was massive, had we lost I have no doubt the doom merchants would have been out in force already,the **** sat next to me was already booing at half time. 

Gutsy second half display from City,well done boys. 

Tomlin, being injured, had a big impact on our retaining possession and switching play in the first half. 2 shocking passes in the 2nd didn't help and I thought he may have been subbed . Then again, couple of great touches, pass of the day to JB and the shot that led to the goal shows even off the pace his magic can unlock things.

Freeman did ok when he came on and can add balance to Odowda , which seemed missing earlier. As Nogbad said , he came on when we were chasing goals and they had sat / were pushed back a bit. I don't think we can afford to be gung-ho, with Hodour settling in completely solid at the back. 

Look to see a few changes for Wycombe to give the others in the squad a game ( we have a squad now :clapping:) . Starts for Bobby, Tammy, SG  , Freeman and Mathews ?

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Defensively we were okay, Magnusson shook off a tentative first half and was excellent in the second.

Joe Bryan was outstanding, Ayling on the other side didn't have a bad game but a fit Adam Matthews will be another step up.

O'Dowda really impressed, direct with pace to burn and Brownhill also looked very comfortable on the ball, surprisingly quick to cover the ground and likes a tackle (he could turn out to be a bargain).

Gary O'Neill was everything I'd expected. Calm, composed and a leader. Pack was steady as ever.

Tomlin and Kodjia were a little isolated in the first half and not involved enough. 

Abraham was simply the game changer, everything sped up when he came on. He has it all and his "football intelligence" if you like, was well beyond his years. He pushed them further and further back, his lay offs and early spot/release of the pass meant Wigan were never set and often in trouble. I'm a massive Kodjia fan but Abraham demonstrated you don't need 12 touches to be effective. 

I appreciate we'll have much sterner tests this season but you'd like to think that given just how much youth is in this squad, they'll only get better.    

Remember Johnson saying Kodjia has the footballing brain of an 18 year old? Still applies. Kodjia is a decent player but he has so much to learn. And judging from yesterday, he hasn't learnt much. As I"ve said above, think he's better when he doesn't have time to think. He's still very wasteful. 

I think we need to sign another striker. A permanent one. The more pressure Kodjia feels he is under, the more he'll have to raise his game. No doubt playing with Abraham will help. 

I like Kodjia but I wouldn't say I am a big fan just yet. He'll score at least 15 goals again this season but he'll miss lots too. I actually thought he was our poorest player (bar Brownhill). 

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Pretty much in agreement with all of that.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Part of the problem was that Tomlin didn't play behind Kodjia in the no10, Brownhill did instead 

On yesterday's cameo, yep, fully expect there to be plenty of games with two up top, and can see us going 442, with LT on left drifting in.

The beauty of a squad!

Not sure yesterday was his best position. Liked some things he did, but think he'd be better as one of the two DMs.

Ha ha, the guy I sat next to said the same.  O'Neil has good movement at throw ins to get space to receive and lay off, but others don't.

53 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought Wigan looked like they might do ok this season, they broke with some neat football and looked quite good defending in numbers too. I think they need to do something about their full backs, left back in particular, he was very tall but nowhere near mobile enough against O'Dowda. The right back needed help when Joe went on the offensive, but even that didn't help when Joe was really flying.

Grigg held it up well for a short guy, but Wildschut was a danger, especially first half.

18 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Remember Johnson saying Kodjia has the footballing brain of an 18 year old? Still applies. Kodjia is a decent player but he has so much to learn. And judging from yesterday, he hasn't learnt much. As I"ve said above, think he's better when he doesn't have time to think. He's still very wasteful. 

I think we need to sign another striker. A permanent one. The more pressure Kodjia feels he is under, the more he'll have to raise his game. No doubt playing with Abraham will help. 

I like Kodjia but I wouldn't say I am a big fan just yet. He'll score at least 15 goals again this season but he'll miss lots too. I actually thought he was our poorest player (bar Brownhill). 

He was Far from poor. First half he was isolated and second half he created chances of his own making. 

As for being wasteful, if he wasn't then he would be in the prem by now.

Archived