IGNORED

This is class from Hodor

21 hours ago, bcdc said:

Just back fro m Iceland this week, and waiting at the airport for Gatwick flight there was an Icelandic national youth team (looked like U17s) obvs going to play in a tournament.  Asked the coaches about Hordur, and the boss fella said he knew him well from coaching him at youth football.  He spoke in glowing terms about his character, and said he'd got a lovely left foot too.  Sounds like good DNA to me!

P.S.  Robbored can turn away now, but for those  interested, the odd looking 'd' that Hordur uses in his name is called an 'eth' and is a letter we have dropped from English.  It represents the 'th' sound as in 'them' or 'those' - not the related 'th' as in 'thing' or 'Thelma' - so his name is pronounced Horthur, rather then with an English 'd'. Just thought I'd say; if you're living abroad it's always nice if people try to get your name as right as they can.

I did wonder about the pronunciation even from my very limited time in his wondrous country I did notice some of the nuances of their language. 

I was also surprised to see Magnusson on the back of his shirt, which seems run contrary to the way their names are used. Maybe it has to do with the way he was registered with the FA? 

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I did wonder about the pronunciation even from my very limited time in his wondrous country I did notice some of the nuances of their language. 

I was also surprised to see Magnusson on the back of his shirt, which seems run contrary to the way their names are used. Maybe it has to do with the way he was registered with the FA? 

It's standard to refer to Icelandic players by their two 'first' names, so Eidur Gudjohnsen was Eidur Smari, and Magnusson is Hordur Bjorgvin (just Google that and somewhere down the list you'll find examples for news sites), but as far as I know that hasn't been the system used for shirt names - it wasn't in the Euros, for instance. So fine for him to be Magnusson.

Btw I  got a pic of our boy in a sports business window in the centred of Reykjavik, which I'll put up as soon as I download a heap of photos.

1 hour ago, bcdc said:

It's standard to refer to Icelandic players by their two 'first' names, so Eidur Gudjohnsen was Eidur Smari, and Magnusson is Hordur Bjorgvin (just Google that and somewhere down the list you'll find examples for news sites), but as far as I know that hasn't been the system used for shirt names - it wasn't in the Euros, for instance. So fine for him to be Magnusson.

Btw I  got a pic of our boy in a sports business window in the centred of Reykjavik, which I'll put up as soon as I download a heap of photos.

You're correct on the name system. The Icelandic FA could have decided to put the first names on the players' shirts in the Euros but gave the players the power to decide themselves (same for everyone of course!). The players decided on having their surnames because they looked at the competition as a "shop window" and in football they are known by their surnames.

4 hours ago, bcdc said:

1 hour ago, Benni said:

You're correct on the name system. The Icelandic FA could have decided to put the first names on the players' shirts in the Euros but gave the players the power to decide themselves (same for everyone of course!). The players decided on having their surnames because they looked at the competition as a "shop window" and in football they are known by their surnames.

So would I be right in thinking his name is closest to Oothur - which has been corrupted to Arthur over the years?

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So would I be right in thinking his name is closest to Oothur - which has been corrupted to Arthur over the years?

I guess you're right, although the "th" in Hördur's name is pronounced like the "th" in "this". That's why his name in Icelandic is spelled Hörður.

16 minutes ago, Benni said:

I guess you're right, although the "th" in Hördur's name is pronounced like the "th" in "this". That's why his name in Icelandic is spelled Hörður.

Most names have a common root (although Icelandic might be one of those languages like Finnish and Basque that can`t be directly related to any other, I`m not sure - you`ll have a much better idea Benni!) so I guess Hordor, Arthur, Uther, Artur etc. may all derive from the same source.

It may mean of course, that he is actually the rightful king of Wessex and all we would need is a sword and a stone to prove it!

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Most names have a common root (although Icelandic might be one of those languages like Finnish and Basque that can`t be directly related to any other, I`m not sure - you`ll have a much better idea Benni!) so I guess Hordor, Arthur, Uther, Artur etc. may all derive from the same source.

It may mean of course, that he is actually the rightful king of Wessex and all we would need is a sword and a stone to prove it!

In one of the museums we visited they had an example of ancient Viking language that had been found in Norway. Norwegians couldn't read it any more but to the Icelandic people it was perfectly understandable. It make sense when you realise it was settled by the Norwegians in the 9th century.  I guess it's a bit like the Australian accent which some believe is what cockney sounded like when they started sending the convicts over. :) 

2 hours ago, Benni said:

Hey Benni!  Guessing you're an Icelander checking up on how Hordur Bjorgvin  (Btw, how do you get this system to produce the 'eth' and the umlauted 'o') Is getting on.  Great to have you on the board.  Do let us know any reactions from Island!  

Love the place, just back from sixth visit, including epic trip down from Myvatn to Askja to Landmannalaugur.  Nowhere like wild Iceland!

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

In one of the museums we visited they had an example of ancient Viking language that had been found in Norway. Norwegians couldn't read it any more but to the Icelandic people it was perfectly understandable. It make sense when you realise it was settled by the Norwegians in the 9th century.  I guess it's a bit like the Australian accent which some believe is what cockney sounded like when they started sending the convicts over. :) 

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Icelandic is derived from Old Norse, like English, German and the Scandinavian languages but it has changed so little over the centuries, just like the Faroese language. That means Icelanders still can read the old transcripts from 1000 years ago. Finnish for example is totally different to all the other Nordic languages, it's similar to Hungarian. So, Hordor, Arthur, Uther, Artur all derive from the same source.

3 hours ago, bcdc said:

Hey Benni!  Guessing you're an Icelander checking up on how Hordur Bjorgvin  (Btw, how do you get this system to produce the 'eth' and the umlauted 'o') Is getting on.  Great to have you on the board.  Do let us know any reactions from Island!  

Love the place, just back from sixth visit, including epic trip down from Myvatn to Askja to Landmannalaugur.  Nowhere like wild Iceland!

Thank you for your kind words bcdc! I am an Icelander and have been following Hordur for a long time now. My first reaction on this very good message board was trying to correct the boring misunderstanding that he's a left-back, because he's a centre-half! There is so much written about English football in Iceland and as Hordur is playing for Bristol City, your (our!) club is a lot in the news, and there is a travel agent who's specializing in football related trips to England that will organise a few to Bristol this season. I have been to Bristol once (brilliant city) but my first game will be the Newcastle game on 20 August.

I guess you will be coming for your seventh visit to Iceland soon, lots of interesting trips to do here!

PS. The pronunciation system here has a few difficult sounds but you have them in English - well at least they are very similar! It's all about the practice ;)

9 hours ago, Benni said:

my first game will be the Newcastle game on 20 August.

My first game this season, Benni. I'll be flying (for those pedants out there, Easyjet actually, not me flapping arms etc) from another Island as well. However, Northern Ireland is a shorter distance!

Archived