IGNORED

Tannoy system

Fiale

I almost forgot - today in the South Stand, did people find it hard to understand what was being said over the Tannoy system ? The music comes through crystal clear, but the announcers sound like charlie brown with about 30% being understandable, LJ interview.. well good luck understanding a thing he said. Was it like that for everyone ? All stands ? Sections ? 

Yep music was fine but talking etc was difficult to hear.

One thing I noticed today was as the team's emerged one for the Bristol city was played very loudly. The whole stadium was trying to sing but the music drowned it out, could we have a trial where for one game music isn't played on entry? Maybe even record the fans singing and play that on the tannoy instead?

1 minute ago, ciderbeans said:

Adam baker has a terrible voice for radio. Mumbles everything. Couldn't hear a word he said and the same with LJ who is too quiet

Sorry I can't agree, Adam is very knowledgeable about football and has been an excellent co-commentator over the years. He is also very close to the players and management so often provides nice snippets of information.

41 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I was in the middle of the Dolman and it sounded like someone had ar$ed about with the graphics equaliser a little too much. I couldn't pick out half of what was said.

Thought the sound system in the West Stand wasn't up to it today.. echoey, disjointed and difficult to hear most of the time .. any comments.. ?? :grr:

I found nearly all of the speaking difficult to understand, with the exception of the Sam fm guy.

Perhaps it's the mic they are using or the position they are holding it in?

I know that Adam does a terrific job in the media department, but I think he would definitely benefit from some coaching in use of the mic.

The reading of the team line-ups seemed mumbled and disjointed.

Minor problems though compared to the magnificent ground that has been developed.

9 hours ago, Fiale said:

Mods - is it possible to move this into the Q&A - just that if I create a question it will not have the replies to show that it's not just one stand etc    (feel free to ditch the Charlie Brown ).

Unfortunately not as that forum is a Q&A area and won't let me move it! I'll tag @Mkelly @Tim S in hope they read/respond 

here is a sample - music clear, and announcements not... it sometimes gets a little better and sometimes a little worse than this as well.

clear music over tannoy

muffled (though one of the better segments) of announcements over same tannoy (yes i did not change the axis on it).

Summat wrong with the acoustics. 

Anouncements are easier to hear outside the ground than they are in the stands.

And while we're on the off-field whinges, City - please replace that Argos catalogue scoreboard and clock with something fitting.

We have a PL stadium now with a Conference South scoreboard. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Summat wrong with the acoustics. 

Anouncements are easier to hear outside the ground than they are in the stands.

And while we're on the off-field whinges, City - please replace that Argos catalogue scoreboard and clock with something fitting.

We have a PL stadium now with a Conference South scoreboard. 

Be gone in a week or two when the big screens arrive.

I think Ive mentioned this in another thread.... We are trying out a couple of new things going into the new season and one of them is trying to bring interviews pre-match with Lee Johnson and perhaps other key figures too. As its a new thing, we are still tweaking it and it might take a game or two to get it right. We are well aware that the sound isnt perfect and will explore everything we can to get it to sound as well as we can. Of course long term, it will have much more impact once the screens are installed and fully functional but in the short term we are just trying to add a little something extra to the matchday routine that wasnt there before. We use a different mic when doing general announcements to the one used to do the interviews which is why there is such a difference. 

Regarding volume, again, we have lots of new equipment and a whole new stand to deal with and it will take a couple of matches to get the sound right. But feedback regarding volume is always welcome, because it can sound louder in some areas than others and its good to get an idea of if certain parts of the ground need adjusting more than others. As the person in control of the volume, I can only go by what I hear by the booth - which yesterday sounded fine (in volume terms). 

I hope that helps answer some of the questions! 

I would have thought this kind of testing could be done outside of a match day environment. Sound testing is standard prior to any performance/gig. Wouldn't expect it to take a couple of games to figure out sound levels/clarity of voice. Should be done at a different time so only minor tweaking (based on Atmosphere) would be needed come match day. @Mkelly @Tim S

1 hour ago, CTRed said:

I would have thought this kind of testing could be done outside of a match day environment. Sound testing is standard prior to any performance/gig. Wouldn't expect it to take a couple of games to figure out sound levels/clarity of voice. Should be done at a different time so only minor tweaking (based on Atmosphere) would be needed come match day. @Mkelly @Tim S

There is lots of testing done. But you can only really test a stadium PA system when the stadium is full of people. The difference in how it sounds when empty compared to when its full is massive. 

7 hours ago, Tim S said:

There is lots of testing done. But you can only really test a stadium PA system when the stadium is full of people. The difference in how it sounds when empty compared to when its full is massive. 

This. I guess when there are 17k talking, moving about etc that creates quite a lot of noise and is not something that can be replicated on a non matchday.

Archived