IGNORED

Team For Burton

Robin 101

Given almost all the players have played now the question now really is what is our best eleven (Bar injuries)

Bit of a repetitive thread but always interesting

Id go with

O'Donnell
Matthews Flint Magnusson Bryan
O'Neil
Pack Reid
Tomlin
Kodjia Abraham

Very Harsh on O'Dowda but fail to see a way of playing 2 up top and wingers without playing 4-4-2 which doesn't suit tomlin who is our best player

31 minutes ago, Robin 101 said:

Given almost all the players have played now the question now really is what is our best eleven (Bar injuries)

Id go with

O'Donnell
O'Neil
Pack Reid
Tomlin
Kodjia Abraham

Very Harsh on O'Dowda but fail to see a way of playing 2 up top and wingers without playing 4-4-2 which doesn't suit tomlin who is our best player

I expect Golbourne to play LB and Bryan left midfield with Reid on the bench.  Also, O'Dowda will probably start with Tammy on the bench.

3 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

Id go with

O'Donnell
O'Neil
Pack Reid
Tomlin
Kodjia Abraham

Would play Goldbourne/Bryan,and bring wes Burns in on the bench.

Very tough one! Our best player is a No.10 and we are now strongest up front with two strikers. Maybe we signed a bunch of good players without really thinking much about shape and formation , , , , ?

Anyways, based on Saturday and yesterday evening, I'd like to see us try:

--------------------------- O'Donnell ----------------------------

Matthews -------- Flint ----- Magnusson ----- Goulbourne

-------------------- O'Neil --------- Pack -----------------------

O'Dowda ----------------- Tomlin --------------------- Bryan

------------------------------ Abraham --------------------------

Would love to see Abraham up top with someone as good as Tomlin, could be the start of something quite beautiful!

1 minute ago, Clarky89 said:

Very tough one! Our best player is a No.10 and we are now strongest up front with two strikers. Maybe we signed a bunch of good players without really thinking much about shape and formation , , , , ?

Anyways, based on Saturday and yesterday evening, I'd like to see us try:

--------------------------- O'Donnell ----------------------------

Matthews -------- Flint ----- Magnusson ----- Goulbourne

-------------------- O'Neil --------- Pack -----------------------

O'Dowda ----------------- Tomlin --------------------- Bryan

------------------------------ Abraham --------------------------

Would love to see Abraham up top with someone as good as Tomlin, could be the start of something quite beautiful!

If the team was to change then I'd go for this one.

I much prefer to see Bryan further up the pitch as many of us do but I doubt LJ will make any changes assuming everyone is fit.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I'd stick to the same starting 11 and bench as against Wigan. Why change a winning team when you don't have to? 

Because the "winning team" on Saturday was the team that finished the game, not the one that started it? (Two subs scoring the goals). That would be my guess

Abrahams movement is so much better than kodjia. He will score a lot more goals on that basis alone. Playing him up top with tomlin behind I feel would be the right combo. Might be we start the game with a 4-4-2 with wingers and then switch to a 4-3-1-2 to put tomlin behind the strikers, play more narrow but get him threading those balls through to kodjia and abraham

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'd stick to the same starting 11 and bench as against Wigan. Why change a winning team when you don't have to? 

On the basis that the winning goal in both games hasn't been scored by someone who started the Wigan game?

Abraham has barely played 90 minutes in total yet has scored twice, that makes him almost impossible to leave out.

1 hour ago, Clarky89 said:

I'd look on the positive that we signed a bunch of good players to allow us to be very flexible depending on the occassion. For example, Burton 4-4-2, next three 4-2-3-1 etc. 

10 hours ago, Robin 101 said:

Id go with

O'Donnell
O'Neil
Pack Reid
Tomlin
Kodjia Abraham

Yeah I'd go with that team as well.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Arguably that first 11 didn't perform well until changes were made, it's hard to leave out Abraham after he's scored his second in 2, perhaps a different system would better exploit Burton.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Arguably that first 11 didn't perform well until changes were made, it's hard to leave out Abraham after he's scored his second in 2, perhaps a different system would better exploit Burton.

I think the team will depend on much attacking we want to be at Burton. If we start with the same starting 11 as against Wigan, even though O'Dowda made some good runs on the right, I generally thought we lacked width and were very compact and uninventive.

When we then brought Abraham with Tomlin behind, we suddenly had a very attack minded front three (where Kodjia wasn't isolated anymore) and Freeman and Reid had licence to go forward.

Personally, it looks like Burton score a few and let in a few, so I'd try to outscore them. Let's go 4-4-2 with O'Dowda fixed on the right, and Tomlin on the left but with licence to roam.

Abraham was our best outfield player last night and the 4-4-2 diamond really didn't work when we played it to begin with.

With that in mind and Kodjia's performance against Wigan I'd go

----------------ROD--------------

AM-----AF---------HM-------SB

--------MP--------G'ON----------

COD----------LT---------------JB

----------------TA------------------

Which it turns out I'm too late to the party behind @Clarky89 to suggest, looking back. Maybe Johnson will take our comments on board if we all agree.

On 10 August 2016 at 09:30, 29AR said:

I'd look on the positive that we signed a bunch of good players to allow us to be very flexible depending on the occassion. For example, Burton 4-4-2, next three 4-2-3-1 etc. 

With you fella, for this one I'd go 442, to give Kodjia and Abraham a start together if you want to start Tammy.  There's no way imho you can leave Kodjia out.  He could've easily scored a couple last Saturday....and rested Tuesday.  If you wanted 442, how about this.

O'Donnell,

Matthews, Flint, Magnússon, Bryan

O'Dowda, Pack, O'Neil, Tomlin (drift inside)

Abraham, Kodjia

O'Donnell

Matthews         Flint       Magnusson      Bryan

Pack               O'Neil

O'Dowda                                                           Tomlin 

Kodjia              Abraham

10 minutes ago, BarmyArmy said:

O'Donnell

Matthews         Flint       Magnusson      Bryan

Pack               O'Neil

O'Dowda                                                           Tomlin 

Kodjia              Abraham

So the same as me, apart from the strikers opposite....not that it matters, they'll not be fixed.

Archived