IGNORED

Are we prepared to lose as many as we win?

The Journalist

I'm a bit concerned.

Not about the head coach, or his summer transfer business, or the players who might be leaving, or even the empty upper tier of our shiny new stand.

But what does concern me, just judging by some of the post-match reaction to fixtures one and two, is that we're all getting a bit carried away.

You know, a bit like an average-looking bloke on a night out, who headed into town with no real expectations of getting lucky, just hoping to have a laugh with his mates and anything more than that's a bonus. Only, after a four or five shandies and a flirty barmaid at the second pub he gets to, he suddenly thinks he's entitled to a night with Kelly Brook. That sort of carried away.

See, I think we're all well intentioned. We all went into this summer thinking if we recruit well, perhaps persuade Lee Tomlin to come back and add one or two other decent players, then mid-table would be fair enough. Maybe even a top-half finish. That'd be alright, wouldn't it? Really quite good, actually. Definitely progress.

The only thing with finishing mid-table, of course, is that it means you'll lose as many as you win. Victory one week, defeat the next. We'll throw in the odd disappointing draw at home for good measure too.

So, are we really cool with that as a fanbase? I think we should be, and the majority will say we are... But are we really?

What happens when two or three of the signings take a while to settle in and we're 14th in December. I mean, on paper that'd probably be alright, wouldn't it? Something to build on?

I suppose what I'm trying to get at, in a roundabout and at times frighteningly Ian Hollowayesque way, is that we need to be patient. And not just say it, but mean it.

And let's stay patient until December, March and even May. Let's make sure we allow the current management structure to really build. And let's remember this post later in the season when we're all getting a bit frustrated with the infrequent good performances and inconsistency.

Whatever the rhetoric, it'll take time.

A good summer of transfers, third highest spend in the league and the completion of the new stand whilst losing no star players have raised expectations. I think lots of fans expect top 10 or better, not hope for, expect.

I'm quietly confident of this too, but think it'll take another year of exceptional recruitment before we can properly compete with the likes of Derby, Brighton etc (not even including relegated sides). 

We will get there with this set up, I'm very confident in our team, management and recruitment. But we aren't quite there yet in my eyes.

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I'll be happy if we win as many as we lose. We've won one. Another 12 should see us safe.

It'll be an acceptable season if we're not in the bottom 3 in December and Lee Johnson is still in position at the end of it.

You would be happy with 4th from bottom in December? The aim is no longer just to survive.

I thought before the season started that the highest we could probably reach is 10th. I expect us to finish 10th - 14th, but obviously want the higher position... it's a hard league, and I expect us to get a few thumpings, to thump a few others and lose and win a lot... it's the manner of the games though. I can accept these things if we play well.... but if the football is abysmal then I really start questioning why I turn up.

23 wins, 5 less points than when we got to the PO final.....I'd settle for that

Get the OPs point though. I really hope we stay patient with the current set up, got a nice, warm feeling about City at the moment. I'm not ready to let it go just yet....

25 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I'll be happy if we win as many as we lose. We've won one. Another 12 should see us safe.

It'll be an acceptable season if we're not in the bottom 3 in December and Lee Johnson is still in position at the end of it.

I'm no happy clapper, but would be supremely arsed  off at that paltry position.

In answer to the OP, yes. That would be progress this season. 

The beauty is that I don't think LJ or any of the hierarchy will be satisfied with that. 

I actually believe that they are serious about getting to the Premier League and have a plan and structure in mind to achieve it. 

Will it actually happen..? Who knows, if so, then how long will it take..? Again, who knows. 

If we are capable of winning half of our games, then I have a feeling that those in charge will not be happy about us not winning the rest as well. Rightly so. 

37 minutes ago, Super said:

You would be happy with 4th from bottom in December? The aim is no longer just to survive.

15 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I'm no happy clapper, but would be supremely arsed  off at that paltry position.

It would represent an improvement on last season, so I'd call that positive.

I would, truth be told, be slightly disappointed with 15th-20th place, but I think the outcome is likely to be either the comfortable mid-table position that our form at the end of last season plus the quality of the signings would suggest, or the kind of disaster that has so often befallen the club after a promising summer. Basically I think we'll either be top half or bottom 3, so if we're not bottom 3 then we'll probably be top half.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

I'm a bit concerned.

Not about the head coach, or his summer transfer business, or the players who might be leaving, or even the empty upper tier of our shiny new stand.

But what does concern me, just judging by some of the post-match reaction to fixtures one and two, is that we're all getting a bit carried away.

You know, a bit like an average-looking bloke on a night out, who headed into town with no real expectations of getting lucky, just hoping to have a laugh with his mates and anything more than that's a bonus. Only, after a four or five shandies and a flirty barmaid at the second pub he gets to, he suddenly thinks he's entitled to a night with Kelly Brook. That sort of carried away.

See, I think we're all well intentioned. We all went into this summer thinking if we recruit well, perhaps persuade Lee Tomlin to come back and add one or two other decent players, then mid-table would be fair enough. Maybe even a top-half finish. That'd be alright, wouldn't it? Really quite good, actually. Definitely progress.

The only thing with finishing mid-table, of course, is that it means you'll lose as many as you win. Victory one week, defeat the next. We'll throw in the odd disappointing draw at home for good measure too.

So, are we really cool with that as a fanbase? I think we should be, and the majority will say we are... But are we really?

What happens when two or three of the signings take a while to settle in and we're 14th in December. I mean, on paper that'd probably be alright, wouldn't it? Something to build on?

I suppose what I'm trying to get at, in a roundabout and at times frighteningly Ian Hollowayesque way, is that we need to be patient. And not just say it, but mean it.

And let's stay patient until December, March and even May. Let's make sure we allow the current management structure to really build. And let's remember this post later in the season when we're all getting a bit frustrated with the infrequent good performances and inconsistency.

Whatever the rhetoric, it'll take time.

It's the same old problem with City...we build ourselves up and make ourselves sound better than we really are.

I'm all for the developments going on with Stadium and more Professional outlook.

But talk of Prem football and European football does my head in, as certain ones will read the headlines and start expecting that.

Of course we have to aim high...but we've only been in the Championship five minutes and far bigger teams have struggled.

If we get between 60 and 70 points this season I'd be over the moon.

Another thing that's worth considering, is what you say on here.

If you've been pished up at the game or haven't watched it...then how can you give a respected opinion?

Before you know it...the Evil Post have read the forum...and then it's reported that the BCFC fanbase are not happy.

Then it becomes 'Fact'...when it's not...and pressure builds on the manager or players.

It's a lose, lose situation.

We've won our first two games, but because performances have been less than exciting, you'd think from some on here that it's all doom and gloom ;-)

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

It would represent an improvement on last season, so I'd call that positive.

I would, truth be told, be slightly disappointed with 15th-20th place, but I think the outcome is likely to be either the comfortable mid-table position that our form at the end of last season plus the quality of the signings would suggest, or the kind of disaster that has so often befallen the club after a promising summer. Basically I think we'll either be top half or bottom 3, so if we're not bottom 3 then we'll probably be top half.

I don't think we would get promoted, but lower midtable should be a realistic target.

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

You know, a bit like an average-looking bloke on a night out, who headed into town with no real expectations of getting lucky, just hoping to have a laugh with his mates and anything more than that's a bonus. Only, after a four or five shandies and a flirty barmaid at the second pub he gets to, he suddenly thinks he's entitled to a night with Kelly Brook.

Had her.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Ah. The Globetrotters. Tarts with their tits out serving drinks - teenagers heaven, followed by the Hawthorns to be grabbed by a granny.

Anyway, while flirting with the playoffs may be some peoples hopes on here, mine are limited to nice and safe mid table mediocrity, that will do for me this season. 

Had h.............wait a minute

Win one, lose one, draw one repeat?

Yeah; happy with that.

Progress on all fronts (footballing side, club infrastructure etc) even if that means taking a loss on the pitch now and again is fine - building all aspects of the club takes time, and that is what I get the impression we are doing.

The nightmare scenario is we immediacy plunge into a prolonged fight against the drop, with every game feeling do-or-die, but I expect us to fluctuate between maybe teetering on the edge of the relegation-threatened teams, and having the odd spike upwards.

Hopefully this, coupled with a cup run or two will give us the foundations to maybe do something more, but I'm happy if we just do the sort of stabilising I'd have been happy with last year.

Sorry but not buying this we would be happy with mid table stuff.

We have played 3 games in last couple of weeks :-

Portsmouth - dire and without ROD we would have lost - but it was only a friendly is the common response.

Wigan - ok in last 30 minutes - fortunate win

Wycombe - dire and without ROD we would have lost - but it is only a cup we can't win it so does not matter was the message last night

If we carry on with these performances then we will start to drop points, then many people on this thread stating they would be happy with mid-table or just below will join in the moaning even if we happen to be in mid-table or just below at the time.

We are fickle fans. I will go on record and say I expect top 10 and in the play-off mix and with a squad this good we should be expecting nothing less.  We need to be pushing this year as there will be another 3 teams loaded with parachute payments next year.

So no - I would not be happy with win lose or even win draw lose - we need a minimum of win draw win lose with encouraging performances and we have a squad capable of that and we should as fans should be looking for that.  If any of the players are happy with mediocrity then they should not be here and any fans stating they are happy with it are kidding themselves and it will show in their posts if/when it happens.

And before you start criticising be sure you want to - as I will drag up this thread time and again when I see your moaning future posts !! :yawn:

"If we carry on with these performances then we will start to drop points, then many people on this thread stating they would be happy with mid-table or just below will join in the moaning even if we happen to be in mid-table or just below at the time".

23 extremely lucky and totally undeserved 1-0 home wins and 23 really dull & boring 0-0 away draws would produce 92 points and a +23 goal difference. It might look good in the record books, but it would be terrible to watch.

44 minutes ago, Neo said:

Sorry but not buying this we would be happy with mid table stuff.

We have played 3 games in last couple of weeks :-

Portsmouth - dire and without ROD we would have lost - but it was only a friendly is the common response.

Wigan - ok in last 30 minutes - fortunate win

Wycombe - dire and without ROD we would have lost - but it is only a cup we can't win it so does not matter was the message last night

If we carry on with these performances then we will start to drop points, then many people on this thread stating they would be happy with mid-table or just below will join in the moaning even if we happen to be in mid-table or just below at the time.

We are fickle fans. I will go on record and say I expect top 10 and in the play-off mix and with a squad this good we should be expecting nothing less.  We need to be pushing this year as there will be another 3 teams loaded with parachute payments next year.

So no - I would not be happy with win lose or even win draw lose - we need a minimum of win draw win lose with encouraging performances and we have a squad capable of that and we should as fans should be looking for that.  If any of the players are happy with mediocrity then they should not be here and any fans stating they are happy with it are kidding themselves and it will show in their posts if/when it happens.

And before you start criticising be sure you want to - as I will drag up this thread time and again when I see your moaning future posts !! :yawn:

Not sure we were fortunate to win against Wigan. The first half was pretty much a stalemate both teams had a couple of half chances, and Wigan got a goal after some naive defencing. The 2nd half though they were not really in the game - this is born out in the match stats. We were the better team on the day, even though we started out slowly.

ScreenShot_20160810193414.jpeg

Archived