IGNORED

Rainbow for LGBT Equality?

redsince66

As we are still yet to release our away kit I thought that, as an openly gay man, I would put one of my ideas into the hat. Rayo Vallecano, a Spanish team just relegated from the top league, had a kit last year with a rainbow across the front to symbolise that they support gay rights as well as other minority group projects. I feel that the club showing its support for both gay fans and players will make Bristol a more comfortable place both for the masses in the stands but also any players we may have that have experimented or are still unsure of how they identify sexually. We have seen stories of footballers taking their own lives due to them feeling alone, so i feel Bristol City have a responsibility to show their support for ANY type of footballer to make sure they feel at home here.

Rayo-Vallecano-008.jpg

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Excellent.  I really like that kit design too.  I'm assuming our away kit has already been designed but it's great to see a club taking that kind of step and I'd love it if we were the first British club to follow suit. 

thanks for understanding and showing support. i feel adding a rainbow colour wouldn't be too much to ask for even if it had already been designed.

I was thinking about minorities at football on Saturday. Looking around almost everyone is a white male and although I have no idea as to their sexuality, I imagine almost all are hetro or not openly gay. Unfortunately football is till a very closed shop and although there are plenty of women, people who aren't white and LGBT people, it does not reflect our society as a whole which is a shame. If you think of the carnival atmospheres of many of Bristols events that could only add to the atmosphere of the Gate and open it up to more people. 

Perhaps a carnival day, like flag day but have a steel drum band in the 'fanzone', whistles and lots of colours and tica tape to make a more Caribbean/south american atmosphere for one game a year. 

Hope I haven't derailed this thread but minorities as a whole are massively under represented in the stands

3 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Really?

I couldn't give a toss whether you're straight, gay or something in between. Same as I couldn't care less what colour you are.

But what makes you think I or the club, should openly support your sexuality?

how ignorant. maybe to support fans, such as myself, that were initially or still are afraid to attend due to anxiety of being attacked because of the way we are. Or maybe to support the countless footballers that have had to retire or have suffered due to them being afraid to come out as they are scared how other professionals and fans would see them/react.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_English_football

Just now, NeilS said:

It's irrelevant what your club preferences are or you choice in men, or women, why should the club patronise any group or gender? 

Besides all this I do think you are a WUM, you all of a sudden are a 'openly Gay man'  that's hard enough for you, but to burden yourself as Gas too, then perhaps the club might knock up a special edition shirt for you after all.

Patronise? I'm saying they should do it to show support for gay footballers and also fans, but predominantly the footballers going through the mental battle. I am not a gas head and the way you're treating me makes me feel very attacked and I am reporting your post as it is a hate crime towards gays.

In 2008, ex-Premiership footballer Paul Elliot estimated that at least a dozen Premiership footballers were gay but were afraid to "come out" for fear of a negative reaction.[5]

In a 2009 survey, most fans said they would like to see homophobia taken out of football, that the FA were not doing enough to tackle the issue and that they would be comfortable to see a player on their team come out of the closet.

2 minutes ago, redsince66 said:

Patronise? I'm saying they should do it to show support for gay footballers and also fans, but predominantly the footballers going through the mental battle. I am not a gas head and the way you're treating me makes me feel very attacked and I am reporting your post as it is a hate crime towards gays.

It would be more helpful and inspiring for those gay premiership footballers who happily live an open life outside of the stadia to come forward and role model for others. 

For our club to highlight an issue in happy with that, as for @NeilS attacking you (your post) as much as I'm not always in agreement I don't believe that's his intention.   

Kinnel...with respect...as an openly hetrosexual male, in all my years, I actually feel in the 'minority' and 'alone'.

All you see in the news and headline's these days are stories about 'minorities' and their 'feelings'.

If you were a black lesbian, with three kids from different fathers, single and a muslim, with no job and seeking asylum then you've won the blooming lottery.

I'm sorry...but all this stuff about being a minority blah, blah, blah is doing my head in.

A hetrosexual male, with a wife and 2.4 kids, a job and mortgage is just as much a 'minority' these days.

How about we all stop shouting about our differences...stop telling people what you are...that way everyone will just except you for who and what you are.

We are humans...it's only when people start telling others they are 'different' and you have to except me, that it becomes a problem.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

A hetrosexual male, with a wife and 2.4 kids, a job and mortgage is just as much a 'minority' these days.

2.4 kids? good luck with that. Everyone is missing the point, Robbie Rogers felt he had to retire because he was gay.

Players are only people like us, so they deserve support, just like we all do from the stands, from the club. Gay footballers need support.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Kinnel...with respect...as an openly hetrosexual male, in all my years, I actually feel in the 'minority' and 'alone'.

All you see in the news and headline's these days are stories about 'minorities' and their 'feelings'.

If you were a black lesbian, with three kids from different fathers, single and a muslim, with no job and seeking asylum then you've won the blooming lottery.

I'm sorry...but all this stuff about being a minority blah, blah, blah is doing my head in.

How about we all stop shouting about our differences...stop telling people what you are...that way everyone will just except you for who and what you are.

We are humans...it's only when people start telling others they are 'different' and you have to except me, that it becomes a problem.

Blunt, but fair point 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really couldnt agree with you anymore. 

6 minutes ago, redsince66 said:

2.4 kids? good luck with that. Everyone is missing the point, Robbie Rogers felt he had to retire because he was gay.

Players are only people like us, so they deserve support, just like we all do from the stands, from the club. Gay footballers need support.

They need an environment in which they are confident enough to come out however that's where my agreement with you ends. 

What they need is to be honest with themselves and their families and come out, not hide as that's where bigotry and homophobia thrives. 

18 minutes ago, redsince66 said:

If this post is serious, then you have real problems my friend.

If you're on a deliberate wind-up............why?

No prizes for guessing how this thread will pan out.

However, there is a valid general point that the club should do what we can to encourage all people to attend games to support City (and probably do lots already) and make them feel welcome. I wouldn't have wanted to go to matches (and wouldn't have done so) when I started watching City if I was Black for instance.  It's great that things have moved on in that respect at least.  I think that perhaps us white, heterosexual middle aged males don't necessarily realise that others who might otherwise attend are currently put off/ feel intimidated.

Even if you don't subscribe to doing it just for being the right thing to do, getting more people to games will result in more cash for the club.

2 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

No prizes for guessing how this thread will pan out.

However, there is a valid general point that the club should do what we can to encourage all people to attend games to support City (and probably do lots already) and make them feel welcome. I wouldn't have wanted to go to matches (and wouldn't have done so) when I started watching City if I was Black for instance.  It's great that things have moved on in that respect at least.  I think that perhaps us white, heterosexual middle aged males don't necessarily realise that others who might otherwise attend are currently put off/ feel intimidated.

Even if you don't subscribe to doing it just for being the right thing to do, getting more people to games will result in more cash for the club.

This is it. As I posted above, most people at football are white, straight men. Even last season I heard several shouts of abuse of a racist nature from our fans and as for homophobia *insert 95% of chants at the Brighton game*.  

Archived