IGNORED

Scunthorpe

Jack Dawe

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It is in Cockney rhyming slang:  Hampton Wick

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It is in Cockney rhyming slang:  Hampton Wick

Yes, indeed Robbo, I know that. I was trying to be a clever dick with my reply by making out people were commenting on the Hampton in Southampton rather than the obvious c word in Scunthorpe, but obviously failed miserably. 

In which case '*****' would be the swear word, not 'Hampton'.

Far too complicated, forget it.:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Swindon and Slough 

For a bonus round; Which fictitious business had branches in these locations circa 2000?

Didn't Thursday Next work for the Special Operations Network in Swindon and Slough?

As stated Scunthorpe gives City a better chance of progressing in the competition.

A few years ago City had a cup replay with Watford(?) knowing the winners would be away to Man C. Many Rovers fans said they hoped City would beat Watford so that the gasheads could then delight in City losing seven or eight nil at the Etihad. 

Combining gashead logic with schadenfreude; here's hoping Rovers beat Cardiff. Then City can restore Bristol's honour in North Lincolnshire whilst Rovers ship seven or eight at a Premiership ground. :P

I just said on the Chelsea forums thread that IMO, the only reason to want Scunthorpe over Chelsea is that otherwise you have 4 very tough games in 11 days, where you have to play your best team. Playing Chelsea may effect our chances of getting a decent result V Villa, so if playing Scunthorpe allows rotation and a better chance against AV, get that argument.

But in no way is Scunthorpe a gimme game, or a guarantee if we win of a better game in R3 than Chelsea away!

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I just said on the Chelsea forums thread that IMO, the only reason to want Scunthorpe over Chelsea is that otherwise you have 4 very tough games in 11 days, where you have to play your best team. Playing Chelsea may effect our chances of getting a decent result V Villa, so if playing Scunthorpe allows rotation and a better chance against AV, get that argument.

But in no way is Scunthorpe a gimme game, or a guarantee if we win of a better game in R3 than Chelsea away!

There is a lot to be said for the logic, however its really about the players. If anyone thinks a single player in our squad from U11's upward would rather have a team travel to god forsaken Lincolnshire as opposed to a trip to Chelsea we are all dreaming.

SL has invested millions for the occasional night like this and he deserves to land his helicopter next to Abramovich.

The players will be up for it and a good display will help keep the adrenaline moving!

For me Chelsea away. FYI I was at the game the last time we lost there in 77 (and all the games since according to the stats I read the other day)....We as supporters deserve this crack, embrace it if it happens...Our squad will!....This does of course mean I have to cheer for Cardiff, but I don't like the alternative much...:laugh:!

Seeing as we've lost to Luton, Oxford, Gillingham, Swindon, Southend, Carlisle, Crewe, Cheltenham and Barnet in the last 10 years or so of this tournament I'm not sure I fancy our chances going to Scunthorpe. At least we get a bit of money out of a Chelsea trip.

I prefer to play Scunny.

I haven't been to Stamford Bridge since my only visit in 1963 or 64 to see Chelsea v Liverpool. It was a rambling old ground then like many so might go just to see it now.

But really worry about a hammering there plus maybe some injuries that could interfere with the main focus this season.

Archived