IGNORED

Scunthorpe

Jack Dawe

I'm torn. I've been looking forward to an attractive tie since I've been here. West Ham and West Brom were good teasers but I would love to see a Chelsea, Man U or Man City. I don't know much about their history and that doesn't bother me. I want to see as many top players as I can and Chelsea would have a few. 

On the other hand, and the original post has swayed me more towards this, it is in the middle of two very big games already. Scunthorpe would in theory be a much more winnable game and we could very well get that draw next round. It's tough for me. I think I'm leaning more towards wanting Scunthorpe and being patient for a big draw in the coming years just because I'd like to see us focus on the league this year as I think we are a bit of a wild card. We could finish anywhere from 5th to 15th. Better chance the 5th without tough EFL Cup games in between two promotion favourites(on paper). 

More to the point what an utterly stupid draw system; you know who you will play before you even play in the previous round? I thought changing the name of THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE ,, because it was the 1st you knumbskulls, to the amoebic and generic EFL was the low point of the existence of the the Football League; well it still is but this nonsense runs it a distant and very honourable second.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I just said on the Chelsea forums thread that IMO, the only reason to want Scunthorpe over Chelsea is that otherwise you have 4 very tough games in 11 days, where you have to play your best team. Playing Chelsea may effect our chances of getting a decent result V Villa, so if playing Scunthorpe allows rotation and a better chance against AV, get that argument.

But in no way is Scunthorpe a gimme game, or a guarantee if we win of a better game in R3 than Chelsea away!

Totally agree.

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

There is a lot to be said for the logic, however its really about the players. If anyone thinks a single player in our squad from U11's upward would rather have a team travel to god forsaken Lincolnshire as opposed to a trip to Chelsea we are all dreaming.

SL has invested millions for the occasional night like this and he deserves to land his helicopter next to Abramovich.

The players will be up for it and a good display will help keep the adrenaline moving!

For me Chelsea away. FYI I was at the game the last time we lost there in 77 (and all the games since according to the stats I read the other day)....We as supporters deserve this crack, embrace it if it happens...Our squad will!....This does of course mean I have to cheer for Cardiff, but I don't like the alternative much...:laugh:!

Agree that players would favour playing Chelsea, but if they look at the bigger picture, then @Silvio Dante's post makes so much sense.  I think we'd feel we had to put out a stronger team versus Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Seeing as we've lost to Luton, Oxford, Gillingham, Swindon, Southend, Carlisle, Crewe, Cheltenham and Barnet in the last 10 years or so of this tournament I'm not sure I fancy our chances going to Scunthorpe. At least we get a bit of money out of a Chelsea trip.

Yes, the money is the flip side.  Scunthorpe gives us the better chance (emphasis on chance), and then get some further money in round 3.

Even if we went out to Scunny, if that meant a guaranteed extra point or two from the games v Newcastle and Villa, I'd take it.  

I went to SB last season and it so far from a dump its untrue. Very decent ground.

Why would you want to go back to Scunthorpe - now that is a dump.

We rarely get a decent cup...and from what I've seen so far we won't be going to Chelski anyway. Sad times as next time we get a good draw will probably be 2030.

5 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

I've been to Stamford Bridge. It's a bit of a dump. I'd much rather have a good chance of progressing to the third round and possibly getting a big home tie... Not sure what the fantasy is of going to these 'big' prem clubs... Especially ones as shit as Chelsea.

Yes you are ridiculous statement...we haven't played their since the 70's potential to game and a chance for our players to put their wits against some of the best in the world 

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yes you are ridiculous statement...we haven't played their since the 70's potential to game and a chance for our players to put their wits against some of the best in the world 

2 things, judging by the replies, no I'm not. Secondly, you are delusional if you don't think they will play their kids and probably still beat us.

20 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

2 things, judging by the replies, no I'm not. Secondly, you are delusional if you don't think they will play their kids and probably still beat us.

Conte has a track record of playing strong teams in all competitions so don't think it will be a weak side at all coupled with no European football I think it is a plum tie...he is a winner and wants to win every competition.

apologies there are a few who obviously prefer Scunthorpe but they are equally as narrow minded

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed.  It's a shame not to be playing them but, on the upside, Scunthorpe is a winnable tie and it also means we can rotate our squad and keep players fresh. 

That's exactly it.

We can play Chelsea in the next round or next season :whistle:

Archived