IGNORED

Biggest home crowd since?

myol'man

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread, but here is a question for BCFC stato's;

Now that the upper tier is to be opened for the Newcastle game, albeit in a reduced capacity we already know the attendance will beat the 1996 City vs Rovers game, making it the biggest crowd since the Atyeo Stand was built. So what was the biggest , most recent, plus 20,000 crowd before that?

3 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread, but here is a question for BCFC stato's;

Now that the upper tier is to be opened for the Newcastle game, albeit in a reduced capacity we already know the attendance will beat the 1996 City vs Rovers game, making it the biggest crowd since the Atyeo Stand was built. So what was the biggest , most recent, plus 20,000 crowd before that?

Liverpool FA cup game I'm guessing?

Using the CityStats database (p.s it really, really needs some love/rebuild/data entry if anyone wants to help)

Highest attendance since 1990 -  Chelsea  - FA Cup 4th Round - 27th Jan 1990 - 24'535

Highest attendance since 1980 - Notts Forest - League Cup Semi - 26th Feb 1989 - 28'084

Highest attendance since 1970 - Liverpool - League 1 - 16th May 1977 - 38'688

Highest of all time - Preston North End - FA Cup 5th Round - 16th Feb 1935 - 43'335

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I was in that 38, 688  notcouldn't of room..... We cannot beat the Chelsea attendance because of the limitations on Lansdown stand capacity and segregation in Atyeo at least for Newcastle. If we shifted people out of the Atyeo,  Villa would bring 4400 but seems they will be limited to 2500 . My guess, Newcastle 21,000 , Villa 22,000 (depends if Villa fans can get more than 2500 )

I.was there too. My sister was one of about 2,000 outside who couldn't get in.

43 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I was in that 38, 688  not a lot of room..... We cannot beat the Chelsea attendance because of the limitations on Lansdown stand capacity and segregation in Atyeo at least for Newcastle. If we shifted people out of the Atyeo,  Villa would bring 4400 but seems they will be limited to 2500 . My guess, Newcastle 21,000 , Villa 22,000 (depends if Villa fans can get more than 2500 )

Seem to remember a few thousand being locked out for the Liverpool game. anyone else remember this?

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Using the CityStats database (p.s it really, really needs some love/rebuild/data entry if anyone wants to help)

Highest attendance since 1990 -  Chelsea  - FA Cup 4th Round - 27th Jan 1990 - 24'535

Highest attendance since 1980 - Notts Forest - League Cup Semi - 26th Feb 1989 - 28'084

Highest attendance since 1970 - Liverpool - League 1 - 16th May 1977 - 38'688

Highest of all time - Preston North End - FA Cup 5th Round - 16th Feb 1935 - 43'335

My dad always claimed that the Bolton game around that time exceeded the pne crowd. He said that fans outside pushed the gates open to get in so were never counted. (I do realise that this makes him sound like a gashead :) l)

The Leeds game in the round before Liverpool was over 38k as well I think. Was at both :)

25 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Ha,Ha. handsofclay certadidn'ty does loce noticed hatost!!!!bf  

Yes, I was in the Open End, where Garland got the winner. I didn't even know my sister was going to the game. She told me after that her and Taz, her bf at the time, decided to go with an hour or so to go before kick off but were locked out with a couple of thousand others. I was 14 at the time and remember upon exiting that there were times I was walking, or rather making progress, without my feet touching the ground.

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Apart from Liverpool in the cup, I guess the Forest game  from same season (lost 1-4. Collymore ran riot) would have been last last biggest "recent" league attendance..? 

Several 20-22k crowds v Rovers early/mid 1990s. Liverpool in 94 the other high attendance (21k)

Forest game was 20'725

http://citystats.org.uk/search.asp?txtOpponent=&selComp=&selDateType=season&selDate=1993%2F94&selSort=matchdate&selFind=&selVenue=H&selAbandon=

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

Several 20-22k crowds v Rovers early/mid 1990s. Liverpool in 94 the other high attendance (21k)

Forest game was 20'725

http://citystats.org.uk/search.asp?txtOpponent=&selComp=&selDateType=season&selDate=1993%2F94&selSort=matchdate&selFind=&selVenue=H&selAbandon=

I think the hugest home league crowd I've seen was THE Donowa game Vs gas. That was about 22k if I remember rightly. 

I can't think of a bigger league crowd since 1990..? 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I was in that 38, 688  not a lot of room..... We cannot beat the Chelsea attendance because of the limitations on Lansdown stand capacity and segregation in Atyeo at least for Newcastle. If we shifted people out of the Atyeo,  Villa would bring 4400 but seems they will be limited to 2500 . My guess, Newcastle 21,000 , Villa 22,000 (depends if Villa fans can get more than 2500 )

I seem to remember the Post had to estimate the attendance for Liverpool as the gates went in at the back of the open end. I'm sure they had 40,000.

I recall being shocked when the Liverpool attendance was announced in 1977 because our capacity was officially 37,000 so a good 1,688 PAID to get in who shouldn't have been allowed in. Also, it has to be remembered, that this was in the day where it was alleged that there were certain turnstile operators who would let you in for half price if you bunged it to them and you got over the turnstile without making it click or were good at limbo dancing. Personally, I think anyone who took advantage of this is a disgrace. It cost the club money that should have been in their pockets and furthermore, none of them informed me which turnstile operators to approach with such a proposition. 

28 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think the hugest home league crowd I've seen was THE Donowa game Vs gas. That was about 22k if I remember rightly. 

I can't think of a bigger league crowd since 1990..? 

I think the lockout game 94/95 was probably similar even though it was cited 21ish

2 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I.was there too. My sister was one of about 2,000 outside who couldn't get in.

Is she a gashead?They always seem to have problems finding the turnstiles. (Usually because they are still sat in their living rooms).

1 minute ago, handsofclay1909 said:

No, though she did go to Eastville with my cousin to see George Best turn out for Fulham in the early to mid 1970s!

Seeing as it was Fulham it may be forgivable. Had it of been Man U though.............

2 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I do know that our highest attendance for an away match was at WBA last year. I think that it would far outdo any attendance at AG ever because the Hawthornes is the highest ground above sea level in the country.

Coventry away, 1977??

Forest away, 1989??

And as BS4 says, Anfield 94 was between 8 and 9k.

We also had more at Eastville (for example, in '83 it was 6k in the near 15k crowd) years ago, than the 5300 WBA gave us in January, before restrictions (and fire) limited capacity on the Muller and the rest of E'ville.

Archived