IGNORED

Biggest home crowd since?

myol'man

15 minutes ago, Andy thomas said:

Seem to remember 36000 against wolves think it was when new lights were first used

Yes, according to David Woods' book The Bristol Babe the attendance for that game was 36,183 in December 1965. The same book states that Wolves were also the opponents in the first game under the original floodlights in Jan 1953 before a crowd of just over 24,000.

On 15/08/2016 at 11:15, handsofclay1909 said:

I recall being shocked when the Liverpool attendance was announced in 1977 because our capacity was officially 37,000 so a good 1,688 PAID to get in who shouldn't have been allowed in. Also, it has to be remembered, that this was in the day where it was alleged that there were certain turnstile operators who would let you in for half price if you bunged it to them and you got over the turnstile without making it click or were good at limbo dancing. Personally, I think anyone who took advantage of this is a disgrace. It cost the club money that should have been in their pockets and furthermore, none of them informed me which turnstile operators to approach with such a proposition. 

I think you'd be surprised at just how much this went on......the gates of the Williams and Atyeo were regularly 'opened' just before kick-off for £10 during the 2006/07 promotion season.

Towards the end of the season, getting in wasn't the problem.......finding a seat was.

11 hours ago, Offside said:

Yes, according to David Woods' book The Bristol Babe the attendance for that game was 36,183 in December 1965. The same book states that Wolves were also the opponents in the first game under the original floodlights in Jan 1953 before a crowd of just over 24,000.

I was there both games.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It wasn't only the turnstile operators. The Board and senior management were creaming plenty as well, as were almost every other club in the country.

I don't know if this is possible now with all ticket games and all seated stadia.

I think we have both lived long enough to realise that if there is a way of achieving this it will be done.

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 09:27, Tomarse said:

Highest attendance since 1970 - Liverpool - League 1 - 16th May 1977 - 38'688

Highest of all time - Preston North End - FA Cup 5th Round - 16th Feb 1935 - 43'335

And the connection between the Preston and Liverpool games is?

Couple of surprise outliers in the list on the official OS - 20,676 against Cambridge (89-90 promotion season I know but were they up top at the time and a rival, or did 'attendees' get a voucher for an upcoming game?!) and 20,725 against Forest in 93 which I remember vastly more clearly!  Maybe slightly less surprising as I think they were still fairly famous then, mid-week fixture and Stan Collymore in the line-up - one of my few visits to the old open end.  Although we ended up being done 1-4 this one actually sticks in the memory with quite a lot of fondness if only for the total sh*t a brick look on the Forest fans when we briefly equalized and went mental up against the fence (no segregation block, I can still picture their expression to this day!) and the 'Collymore, w*nk w*nk w*nk chant reverberating around the ground, even if it did inspire him to score a hat-trick!

19 minutes ago, ukneil said:

Couple of surprise outliers in the list on the official OS - 20,676 against Cambridge (89-90 promotion season I know but were they up top at the time and a rival, or did 'attendees' get a voucher for an upcoming game?!) and 20,725 against Forest in 93 which I remember vastly more clearly!  Maybe slightly less surprising as I think they were still fairly famous then, mid-week fixture and Stan Collymore in the line-up - one of my few visits to the old open end.  Although we ended up being done 1-4 this one actually sticks in the memory with quite a lot of fondness if only for the total sh*t a brick look on the Forest fans when we briefly equalized and went mental up against the fence (no segregation block, I can still picture their expression to this day!) and the 'Collymore, w*nk w*nk w*nk chant reverberating around the ground, even if it did inspire him to score a hat-trick!

Was that the Forest game played over the Christmas holidays where City fans sang what a waste of money to Collymore, who then made a gesture to the crowd, came out second half and scored s hat trick? 

20 hours ago, ukneil said:

Cambridge was in the 5th round of the FA cup I think, if I remember rightly it was on my 12th birthday and I was convinced we'd batter them! 

4 minutes ago, REDLEE said:

Cambridge was in the 5th round of the FA cup I think, if I remember rightly it was on my 12th birthday and I was convinced we'd batter them! 

Was that the season when it went to about 4 replays? I seem to remember that they had Dion Dublin and John Taylor up front and they finally hammered us 5-1 in the last replay? That was the season that Super Bob scored 30 goals in the season wasn't it?

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:41, Bar BS3 said:

Apart from Liverpool in the cup, I guess the Forest game  from same season (lost 1-4. Collymore ran riot) would have been last last biggest "recent" league attendance..? 

Still one of the best performances I have seen from a visiting player one of his goals was applauded by so many.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Still one of the best performances I have seen from a visiting player one of his goals was applauded by so many.

He was unplayable that day. I was sat in the Dolman Block B. I seem to remember there were serveral g*s in the open end. I think there were encouraging the forest fans to sing anti city songs.  Pretty sure they were found after the match. Maybe there game was called off. 

... or is that a different time. 

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Was that the season when it went to about 4 replays? I seem to remember that they had Dion Dublin and John Taylor up front and they finally hammered us 5-1 in the last replay? That was the season that Super Bob scored 30 goals in the season wasn't it?

That's the one yes! Great season but there were a couple of low points. Still my favourite city team of my lifetime!

17 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

He was unplayable that day. I was sat in the Dolman Block B. I seem to remember there were serveral g*s in the open end. I think there were encouraging the forest fans to sing anti city songs.  Pretty sure they were found after the match. Maybe there game was called off. 

... or is that a different time. 

Gas game at Wrexham had been cancelled that day.  They were found after the game...

22 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Great that we are heading for 22,000 plus gate, BUT I do agree the West Stand Upper prices are a bit rich at either £41 or £39 for non-members. Perhaps if prices had been a tenner cheaper we might be looking at 25,000 gate?

Unlikely, at present for the Newcastle game we have sold all tickets we are allowed to due to H&S. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Great that we are heading for 22,000 plus gate, BUT I do agree the West Stand Upper prices are a bit rich at either £41 or £39 for non-members. Perhaps if prices had been a tenner cheaper we might be looking at 25,000 gate?

The problem in my mind is that none of us know what the real max capacity is right now, imposed by the SAG as this is a test event for the stand. Would we be allowed to have a 25k crowd even if we were giving the tickets away?

Also, reducing the price by £10 is removing £10 of the contribution from ticket sales - not the headline price, but the price after removing the variable costs of allowing the ticket to be sold (£10 less is a bigger proportion of this than £10 off the headline price). This would probably mean selling more than an extra 3k tickets to break even, compared to the club's net income from a 22k crowd at current prices.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Yes I'd agree with that. I seem to recall that he pretty much beat the whole City team with a dribble direct from a kick off, finishing with a shot on goal that didn't go in and the City fans where I was (Dolman) just stood and applauded him for his efforts. 

Not the best player to have played against us, but certainly one of the best performances. 

Also remember the Forest chant "what d'ya think of Collymore..?" And our fans just replying with applause. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

That comment was tongue in cheek, following heated debate on another thread. Without getting into that again... All available tickets have sold out, at that price. 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Could there be more at the gate Saturday then rovers took to the biggest game in there recent history (conference playoff final)

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday, although we aren't going to be able to top the 25k this week. 

Archived