IGNORED

Biggest home crowd since?

myol'man

13 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Coventry away, 1977??

Forest away, 1989??

And as BS4 says, Anfield 94 was between 8 and 9k.

We also had more at Eastville (for example, in '83 it was 6k in the near 15k crowd) years ago, than the 5300 WBA gave us in January, before restrictions (and fire) limited capacity on the Muller and the rest of E'ville.

I think it was 7.5k for Liverpool and 8.5 for Forrest in the FA cup.

• The title was changed to Biggest home crowd since?

Our lowest attendance was at Grimsby. Bristol Rovers get higher attendances than Bristol City by 161 feet (most of that accounted for by Muller Road). Ashton Gate is one of the lowest grounds in the country being just 29 feet above sea level, though we will be visiting one of the few who are lower still at Carrow Road tomorrow. Canvey Island has the only ground of any decent standing, that is below sea level in the country. 

22 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

To all those quoting Anfield etc at me, I have looked up on Google and it confirms what I have stated. The Hawthorns is the ground that is the highest above sea level in the country, therefore our highest attendance was at WBA!

It wasn't funny the first time, even less though after having to explain it! :facepalm:

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I remember at AG when Gappers were away to Fulham....someone with a transistor said "Best's scored after a minute !"     Some wag piped up....."How many?" :clap:

Surely the blue few have not had a bigger crowd since our 0/0 at eastvile in our promotion season.

Was rare for them, all ticket game!!!

10 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

To all those quoting Anfield etc at me, I have looked up on Google and it confirms what I have stated. The Hawthorns is the ground that is the highest above sea level in the country, therefore our highest attendance was at WBA!

Does Scotland or Italy count? Our highest attendance could've been in the Anglo Scottish/Italian cup?!

18 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Coventry away, 1977??

Forest away, 1989??

And as BS4 says, Anfield 94 was between 8 and 9k.

We also had more at Eastville (for example, in '83 it was 6k in the near 15k crowd) years ago, than the 5300 WBA gave us in January, before restrictions (and fire) limited capacity on the Muller and the rest of E'ville.

Think you may have missed the point :clapping:

19 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

No, though she did go to Eastville with my cousin to see George Best turn out for Fulham in the early to mid 1970s!

I was at that game as well and also saw George score six against Northampton in the FA cup.

As for the turnstiles you had to know Bill from Windmill Hill or Mick from the Malago.

10 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Surely the blue few have not had a bigger crowd since our 0/0 at eastvile in our promotion season.

Was rare for them, all ticket game!!!

They had big crowds for cup games v Southampton in Jan 78 and Ipswich in the fifth round in the snow in Feb. The Southampton game was 20k if memory serves, their last crowd of five figures beginning with a "2" I think I can say with confidence (38 years ago).  I know I'm missing HandsofClay's subtle point - :facepalm: - but I've got me teeth into this now.

9 hours ago, beaverface said:

Does Scotland or Italy count? Our highest attendance could've been in the Anglo Scottish/Italian cup?!

I actually think the highest above sea level City have ever played at was on the tour of Zimbabwe a few years back. I don't think City have ever, officially, played at altitude though with the ball doing funny things without being kicked by Lee Tomlin. Although, I guess, if Tomlin played at altitude then the ball would be doing funny things except when he kicked it.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 09:37, billywedlock said:

I was in that 38, 688  not a lot of room..... We cannot beat the Chelsea attendance because of the limitations on Lansdown stand capacity and segregation in Atyeo at least for Newcastle. If we shifted people out of the Atyeo,  Villa would bring 4400 but seems they will be limited to 2500 . My guess, Newcastle 21,000 , Villa 22,000 (depends if Villa fans can get more than 2500 )

If it's any help in your calculations NUFC were allocated 2500 tickets which sold out pretty much straight away and then have bizarrely been allocated another 30 tickets (!!) today which have also sold out straight away.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 09:19, Bat Fastard said:

I remember watching City v Rovers at Ashton Gate just before the Dolman was built - the crowd was 38,000 - the score was 0 - 0

Wasn't that an FA Cup match? I remember my dad telling me the city fans in the south stand at Eastville starting singing "theres a kind of hush" at Rovers in the replay after we went in front.

17 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Wasn't that an FA Cup match? I remember my dad telling me the city fans in the south stand at Eastville starting singing "theres a kind of hush" at Rovers in the replay after we went in front.

Correct. I could not go to the replay at Eastville - but it was very crowded at the Gate!

Archived