IGNORED

The Official Norwich City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good evening to one and all. Here are a few questions for you...

Which is the only city in the UK, possibly in the world, to have a national park running through it?

What is the most complete medieval city in the UK, probably not in the world?

Which city once had a pub for every day of the year, alas not anymore? (Clue: Its not Burton.. well that is a town anyway if you want to be picky)

Which city was once the 2nd largest in the country after London?

OK, I do believe I am a question away from boredom now. Norwich of course is the answer. Also known as the windiest city, a roman settlement which might explain the churches, flat as a pancake and reclaimed land here there and everywhere. Lots of lovely cobbled streets and old buildings that might remind one of the Llandugger Trough and Welsh Back or around Corn Street. Like any city it has its fair share of parts one would rather not venture but all in all not a bad place at all and perhaps that is a saving grace for the more than arduous journey one needs to take in order to get there. Good luck to all of you going; hope you set off bright and early. I suppose its a grin and bear it M11, A11 via Thetford, overtaking when one can, and finally arriving. It had better be worth it.

And in the event you do drive through Thetford proper doff your hat to Queen Boucica who's kingdom is considered to have been centred around this ancient settlement. let us remind ourselves that Boudica led an uprising against the filthy Roman Invaders. She wanted rid of straight roads, artesian wells and latrines, and rightly so because her two daughters were raped by the Romans so she sacked Colchester, St. Albans and London for good measure. Pity she is not around today then. Boudica headed a tribe called the Iceni related to the Celts. Her victories were short lived of course because she took her own life in AD60 a heartbroken woman. 

The Romans were severe in their revenge against the Iceni and kept them down by building Venci Icenorum, 2 miles south of modern day Norwich on the River Tas. The Romans remained in the area until around AD410 when the Anglo Saxons were becoming dominant and wanted to start playing football in the valley of the River Tas. They used the heads of the Romans and the myth has it this is where football first began. How romantic.

Norwich City never really suffered the rise and fall of industry as it grew through the ages because the Industrial revolution largely passed it by; the place remains pretty much cut off to this day as those A11 drivers know only too well. So, not a lot changes really. Judge for yourself if this remark by Clarkson is accurate, I would not rely on it.. • “I am used to having people point as I go by. Most shout, “Hey, look, it’s a Cosworth!” but in Norfolk they shout, “Hey, look, it’s a car!” (Jeremy Clarkson).

Gary O'Neill returns to his old club this evening as City dwell on where and how to spend the Bolasie windfall if they spend it at all. At time of writing this there appears to be only rumour on whether the club will. I get the feeling we may be rather happy with a draw tonight although some will be more gung ho and say why can we not go there and win. Well, perhaps not wise to be too attacking minded this early on. I certainly would expect the team will be set up to win but with a reasonable dose of intelligence that it might be a hit and run type of affair. I am sure we will all settle for that.

I am going to go for a meek and mild 1-1 draw, as boring as that sounds. With Kodjia getting off the mark for the season.

Safe travels to all going and well done to each and every one of you. Truly fabulous effort to go to Norwich for a mid week evening game.. what is that about 480 miles round trip? We do have the best supporters. Brilliant. God bless to one and all.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 11
5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Which is the only city in the UK, possibly in the world, to have a national park running through it?

Which city once had a pub for every day of the year, alas not anymore? (Clue: Its not Burton.. well that is a town anyway if you want to be picky)

OK, I do believe I am a question away from boredom now. Norwich of course is the answer. Also known as the windiest city, a roman settlement which might explain the churches, flat as a pancake and reclaimed land here there and everywhere. Lots of lovely cobbled streets and old buildings that might remind one of the Llandugger Trough and Welsh Back or around Corn Street. Like any city it has its fair share of parts one would rather not venture but all in all not a bad place at all and perhaps that is a saving grace for the more than arduous journey one needs to take in order to get there. Good luck to all of you going; hope you set off bright and early. I suppose its a grin and bear it M11, A11 via Thetford, overtaking when one can, and finally arriving. It had better be worth it.

And in the event you do drive through Thetford proper doff your hat to Queen Boucica who's kingdom is considered to have been centred around this ancient settlement. let us remind ourselves that Boudica led an uprising against the filthy Roman Invaders. She wanted rid of straight roads, artesian wells and latrines, and rightly so because her two daughters were raped by the Romans so she sacked Colchester, St. Albans and London for good measure. Pity she is not around today then. Boudica headed a tribe called the Iceni related to the Celts. Her victories were short lived of course because she took her own life in AD60 a heartbroken woman. 

The Romans were severe in their revenge against the Iceni and kept them down by building Venci Icenorum, 2 miles south of modern day Norwich on the River Tas. The Romans remained in the area until around AD410 when the Anglo Saxons were becoming dominant and wanted to start playing football in the valley of the River Tas. They used the heads of the Romans and the myth has it this is where football first began. How romantic.

Norwich City never really suffered the rise and fall of industry as it grew through the ages because the Industrial revolution largely passed it by; the place remains pretty much cut off to this day as those A11 drivers know only too well. So, not a lot changes really. Judge for yourself if this remark by Clarkson is accurate, I would not rely on it.. • “I am used to having people point as I go by. Most shout, “Hey, look, it’s a Cosworth!” but in Norfolk they shout, “Hey, look, it’s a car!” (Jeremy Clarkson).

Gary O'Neill returns to his old club this evening as City dwell on where and how to spend the Bolasie windfall if they spend it at all. At time of writing this there appears to be only rumour on whether the club will. I get the feeling we may be rather happy with a draw tonight although some will be more gung ho and say why can we not go there and win. Well, perhaps not wise to be too attacking minded this early on. I certainly would expect the team will be set up to win but with a reasonable dose of intelligence that it might be a hit and run type of affair. I am sure we will all settle for that.

I am going to go for a meek and mild 1-1 draw, as boring as that sounds. With Kodjia getting off the mark for the season.

Safe travels to all going and well done to each and every one of you. Truly fabulous effort to go to Norwich for a mid week evening game.. what is that about 480 miles round trip? We do have the best supporters. Brilliant. God bless to one and all.

Condensed Version

Norwich

Shit hole on the East coast where everybody has wind.

If you can't answer the questions you really are a bit thick.

1-0 to City for me

• Like 1

I think this will be the toughest away game of the season - long trip midweek to a recently relegated team and, whereas I think Villa and Newcastle have got both a bit more of a "wow" factor and fans that'll get restless and on the team's back if things go wrong, I don't think that'll be the case so much with Norwich.  I also think they're in the best shape of any of the relegated teams.

I'll be pleased with a point and thrilled with a win.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Ah back to some sanity at last. 3-0 city. Kodjia hat trick.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think this will be the toughest away game of the season - long trip midweek to a recently relegated team and, whereas I think Villa and Newcastle have got both a bit more of a "wow" factor and fans that'll get restless and on the team's back if things go wrong, I don't think that'll be the case so much with Norwich.  I also think they're in the best shape of any of the relegated teams.

I'll be pleased with a point and thrilled with a win.

Norwich have started with four points, but after their 0-0 home draw v a strong Sheff Wed got booed from the field, so their fans may well get on their back if things do not go as they want as well.

Wigan and Burton are the types of games we should be doing well in to be confident of mid table. This is another level up. Would take any sort of result, and would not be that gutted if we lose narrowly, but look competitive. Equally could see us getting turned over. Going to say 3-1 to them, but hoping for better. A little fearful of worse.

Be interesting to see if Kodjia is there, given the speculation.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

Would love to see this as think we could have a chance

O Don

Mathews.   Maggers.   Flint.    Joe

Brownhill.   O Neil.   Pack.   O Dowda 

.               Tomlin.    Tammy 

Matthews still isn't fit is he?

34 minutes ago, Super said:

Matthews still isn't fit is he?

I really don't know. I am wondering if he is fit to be on the bench then why not start him? The manager knows best though , I don't want to get into another Little debate, it's clear I don't rate him but I fear big time if Little does start after what I saw Saturday and what Norwich saw they will target him without question

Edited by coxyboy
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

I really don't know. I am wondering if he is fit to be on the bench then why not start him? The manager knows best though , I don't want to get into another Little debate, it's clear I don't rate him but I fear big time if Little does start after what I saw Saturday and what Norwich saw they will target him with question

Like Mastermind ? He could be good at that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

If Kodjia is not in the starting line-up or on the bench. God help the moderators of this forum.

Why would God help the OTIB moderators??

God wants to read what we've got to say, as he loves us.

The moderators don't love us in the same way that God does, so don't group them together.

If you want a God Vs Devil discussion, why don't you start the appropriate thread??

Eh?

Uncle TFR