IGNORED

Biggest crowd for 26 years

Alan Dicks

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I know he played in that "never ending " tie against Aldershot !

He did for sure. I remember him co-commentating on an FA Cup tie a year or two ago and he was reminiscing about the days of endless replays. The presenter asked him if there was still the same will to win when you got to the fifth game and he replied `No. No-one cared on either side. We both just wanted it to end`!

Hartlepool away in the next round too - God bless Carl Shutt for getting the winner eh!

24 minutes ago, robofwells said:

Bit embarrassing when they announced at the end is was the biggest gate for 26yrs (it is good for us) the Newcastle fans were laughing their socks off considering they get 52000.

Yes and I laughed my socks off when I went to St. James park in the early 90's and the crowd was only 11,000

11 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I know he played in that "never ending " tie against Aldershot !

Brought back some memories. I went to Aldershot for a few matches around at time as my girlfriend now wife was studying nearby. Just looked online and between April 87 and Dec 88 we played them 10 times! League matches, freight rover/Sherpa van matches plus that four match cup tie. I still recall the Aldershot fans' rather strange chant: 'Joey Jordan is a homosexual'. City fans replied with 'Aldersh*t.' Funny what you remember!

32 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

There were more of us - City fans - at AG yesterday than there were at the Chelsea game in 1990. Chelsea had 6k using all of the Park End, so only 18,500 City fans.

For the Rovers game in 89, they brought about 4000, so approx 19k of us at that game.

There were about 24k City fans at AG in a 28k (I believe that was a 30k sell out but due to torrential rain and live tv coverage kept about 1k at home) crowd v Forest in the LC semi in 89, but I reckon that yesterday was the most City fans at a league game here since Liverpool, March 1980 (27k crowd). 20,000 of us in a 22,500 crowd.

Not bad going.

We may have had more City in the home game vs Doncaster in May 1988. I am sure the crowd was 25,000 with very few Donny fans.

26 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

We may have had more City in the home game vs Doncaster in May 1988. I am sure the crowd was 25,000 with very few Donny fans.

18k officially, we could be here all night if we get into the dodgy attendance figures given out pre 1990. 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

We then went on to lose 5-1 or something in Round 5 second leg to Cambridge Utdwho had a young Dion Dublin in the team!  

Oh thanks for dredging that one up! :grr:

Worst night of my life as a City fan. Stood with my mates in the Cambridge end suffering a @@@@ing torrent of abuse for the whole of the second half! Oh well, at least it was only a twenty minute journey home. :facepalm:

I seem to remember Mark Gavin having a pretty good first half on the right wing. :shifty:

3 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

It is rather amusing, 52000 and they are never able to compete with the best. 

Biggest and best support in the world if we are to believe the mediawl. 

The same mediawl who conveniently forget Newcastle having crowds of about 13,000 in the 90s when they were just as sh!t as the rest of us, as mentioned above by harrys.

Their fans are as fickle as any, it's just they turn up all the time nowadays out of sheer boredom at living in the NE and there being absolutely nothing whatsoever worth doing except pay over-inflated prices to line the pockets of a selfish, ignorant criminal (allegedly) like Mike Ashley and watch over-rated footballers pretending to enjoy living in a smoggy, fog-ridden, God-forbidden hellhole such as Newcastle where the soulless pubs endlessly play 'Bog All The Time' by Paul Gascoigne ("The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine; I'm on the bog all the time, all the time"), drinking dirty disgusting dishwater called Brown Ale (and that bit's not allegedly).

There have been ample times their home support has been either silent or merely the moaning and gesticulating and bed-sheet waving (X Manager Out! Blah Blah Blah like anyone's listening to you, put your tatts away, put a shirt on, sit down and smerk yer tabs, lake) antics of a bunch of dullards who have nothing better in their petty little lives than trying to recapture some lost golden age of the Gallowgate End and Chrissy Waddle (heth-heth-heth-heth) and Peter 'Simon Cadell out of Hi-de-Hi' Beardsley and War Jackie (natch).

Very silly people over hyped by our blinkered, easily-led, Premiership brand worshipping mediawl.

They're just a stripey joke of a football club, to me. Sunderland much more loyal. As are Hartlepools, frankly.

Ah. That's better.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We had over 25k at home to Sheff U in those 1988 play offs

And the Walsall game, but they were not regular league games - and league games in August, too - those two play off games were effectively cup games. 

Saturday was the most City fans inside AG for a league game in 36 years, since Liverpool 1980, I reckon I'm right in saying (notwithstanding the dubious attendances given for some games in that time)

6 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Whatever has happened at Cardiff, less than half full, deary me.

Giving out 1000 free tickets at home games already, to save (some) face. Their ground truly is too big for them right now

I remember that Doncaster game well. The middle section of the Open End was used as an overflow for home fans. Doncaster only had a small following and there were a few City fans in that corner by the Dolman as well.The crowd went beserk when Colin Gordon got that late winner (on the TV replay it looked like hand-ball when he slid along the ground) with a mini pitch invasion followed by a bigger one at the end. I'm sure I remember Doncaster's manager (Joe Kinnear?) was on TV afterwards saying it was unsafe for his players.

The atmosphere for the Sheff Utd game was also fantastic. The less said about the Walsall games the better. At least we got revenge two seasons ago.

I was behind the goal in the EE for the Chelsea game. Great scenes again, especially when that 3rd goal went in.

19 hours ago, harrys said:

Yes and I laughed my socks off when I went to St. James park in the early 90's and the crowd was only 11,000

I was there , 0-0 draw . It was the game following Donowa's Derby Goal , and he should have scored another winner that day . 

The only time I've ever travelled with CATS , I said never again . No Booze , No Singing , No sitting in Seats 2-26 and one 10 minute stop .

A myth was destroyed that day about the Toon Super Fans , all 10,000 of them , and out sung by 1000+ (?) City .

15 minutes ago, redapple said:

I was there , 0-0 draw . It was the game following Donowa's Derby Goal , and he should have scored another winner that day . 

The only time I've ever travelled with CATS , I said never again . No Booze , No Singing , No sitting in Seats 2-26 and one 10 minute stop .

A myth was destroyed that day about the Toon Super Fans , all 10,000 of them , and out sung by 1000+ (?) City .

That's the game, the "Toon Army" must of deserted that day

Archived