IGNORED

What happened to Coventry?

Olé

Like everyone else I'm thrilled with the recruitment and the obvious focus on bringing in very good young players who should increase in value (as I've said on here before, the *transfer fee* for a good young player is zero, it's an asset that will go up in value and cost you nothing other than locking up cash for a period of time, probably at a favourable rate of return).

However, SLs strategy is not new. I still remember travelling on a train through the Midlands in the late nineties and picking up a discarded copy of the Coventry Evening Telegraph and reading a front page story from the then owner planning exactly the same. And as I recall, was true for several years, young Robbie Keanes, Richards (defender) and several other of the best young players going there for (at the time) big fees.

So, jokes aside, where did they go wrong? What can we learn and not repeat? They had the same strategy to buy good young players and somewhere it went off the rails. Did they lose their nerve and buy a few proven but fading players? Did they not give a manager time to build success with a young team? Did they cash in too early? Did the five pillars collapse?

The separation of the club from the ground, loss of income, time at Northampton, all the distraction and bad feeling that came from it. Whilst ever SL continues along the same lines we're fine. The moment the ownership of ground and football club differ will be the time to worry. 

The Ricoh Stadium was rented from the council or so I though and when Coventry fell into arrears the club had to move.

Why they couldn't pay the rent I don't know.

But the Ricoh was/is a fantastically designed stadium. I really like the "D" shape of it.

10 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The separation of the club from the ground, loss of income, time at Northampton, all the distraction and bad feeling that came from it. Whilst ever SL continues along the same lines we're fine. The moment the ownership of ground and football club differ will be the time to worry. 

Thankfully we have a fully fledged son and heir in waiting. Can never discount it, but the potential pitfalls seem a lifetime away. Arguably JL could be as big a legacy as our new stadium. I've been extremely critical of JL in the past but there is no doubting his heart is in the right place. If I could step out of line and offer him advice it would be that I hope he's realised he is a junior and is basically MAs shadowee for the time we have him (MA). That could be invaluable to Jon. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Ricoh Stadium was rented from the council or so I though and when Coventry fell into arrears the club had to move.

But the Ricoh was/is a fantastically designed stadium. I really like the "D" shape of it.

But Coventry's run of buying players was before they went to the Ricoh? By at least 5 years?

26 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Thankfully we have a fully fledged son and heir in waiting. Can never discount it, but the potential pitfalls seem a lifetime away. Arguably JL could be as big a legacy as our new stadium. I've been extremely critical of JL in the past but there is no doubting his heart is in the right place. If I could step out of line and offer him advice it would be that I hope he's realised he is a junior and is basically MAs shadowee for the time we have him (MA). That could be invaluable to Jon. 

I think JL is shadowing Keith Dawe if anybody, who will be helping to prepare him for the Chairmanship. Whether JL has the ability and inclination in the long term remains to be seen. That said, we're a great deal more stable than most....

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I believe that they were paying £1 million a year rent and also all revenue of the stadium on non match days aswell as rent from the rugby club(London Irish?) was going to the council as they owned the stadium. With such high rent and little income it wasn't sub stainable to stay at the Ricoh until a deal was agreed before moving back.

3 hours ago, Posset red said:

I can assure you they will be back in the championship in the near future and hopefully so easy to get too and always liked there stadium even if it is 1/3 full

Looking at the state of them at the moment, near future is a tad optimistic. Bigger chance of them going down this season.

What would happen to us if SL suddenly keeled over? Hopefully unlikely but I'm not sure Jon Lansdown would be able to take over. We're still a bit vulnerable, I know he's trying to make the club self-sufficient but we're nowhere near there yet. This may be what happened to Coventry.

Good read.  I've got a soft spot for Cov, after my mate played for them in the late 80s.  You can however chase the dream and spend big, but it's a 1 in 20 chance to succeed.  Leicester, massively financially backed are the exception to the rule since Walker's Rovers won it.

For a non-big club (I'm talking MU, MC, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea), you've taking a huge chance unless you grow it slowly.

We are showing a very sensible approach in difficult market conditions.  Easy to be sucked into £5m+ deals at the mo.  I expect the £1.5m for Moore is not an initial outlay, but I suspect there'll be a sell-on clause too.  We are bringing in top youngsters who have greater chance to flourish and ultimately some will leave us for large profit.  You plough that money back in so that you get 4 or 5 new ones in.

You could also ask, @Olé, what went right - May '77, Cov and us survive by the skin of our teeth. We get 3 more years at the top, then drop like a stone, and have spent 36 years in the wilderness. Meanwhile, Cov had another 24 years (24 years!) of top class football, and famously won the cup too (missing out on Europe due to Heysel ban).

Funnily enough, 34 years at the top probably became a little predictable and the people took it for granted. Cov's crowds were very poor some years - in 1983 they averaged 10,500 in the 1st division - and I think they have gone almost 50 years without finishing in the top 6 of any league.

Clubs need ups and downs to create drama, tension and excitement. You can see this at Rovers, they had to drop down to a level where they could be successful again and now are riding a bit of an "up." 34 years of stasis is too much and Cov's debt, in trying to maintain top class football, seems to have done for them. They'd have been better off being relegated before the PL and rebuilding (possibly). 

• Admin
10 hours ago, Posset red said:

I can assure you they will be back in the championship in the near future and hopefully so easy to get too and always liked there stadium even if it is 1/3 full

I would be the polar opposite, a good friend of mine is a Cov fan and goes home and away every week, he thinks there are still many years of struggle ahead - last season they were flying with Armstrong up front but as usual they have real knack of ballsing it all up

Archived