IGNORED

Kodja

shelts

If he wants out get rid ASAP if he doesn't want to be a part of what is happening at the Gate. A real shame as I thought this was a good place for him to improve. It seems someone has got in his ear and he thinks he's a little special. Unfortunately following the Reds I have seen this countless times. We will find a new goal scoring hero....maybe we have one....part of the problem?

9 hours ago, shelts said:

If he wants out get rid ASAP if he doesn't want to be a part of what is happening at the Gate. A real shame as I thought this was a good place for him to improve. It seems someone has got in his ear and he thinks he's a little special. Unfortunately following the Reds I have seen this countless times. We will find a new goal scoring hero....maybe we have one....part of the problem?

Let's hope that anyone coming in has a better understanding of the offside rule

Kodjia is quality and will be a miss. Especially as that leaves us with only Wilbs and an on loan Tammy up front. We're one injury away from Wilbs being our full time lone striker! Having said that, if the quoted figures of £14m are accurate, you can't turn that down for a player we bought a season ago for £2m. Good business, and I'd hope that they have a couple of options in mind for replacements given the proximity to the window closing.

1 minute ago, cityboy said:

Kodjia is quality and will be a miss. Especially as that leaves us with only Wilbs and an on loan Tammy up front. We're one injury away from Wilbs being our full time lone striker! Having said that, if the quoted figures of £14m are accurate, you can't turn that down for a player we bought a season ago for £2m. Good business, and I'd hope that they have a couple of options in mind for replacements given the proximity to the window closing.

Good post. £14million is silly money for Kodjia. Worth more than Dwight Gayle? I think not. Especially as he'll be playing in the ACON for part of the season. I still feel that Kodjia sold us a bit short as a club. He should've given us two seasons at least. Seems an odd move for him anyway - how much more attractive are Derby than us?? If he'd gone to a Premier League team, you could've understood it.

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Good post. £14million is silly money for Kodjia. Worth more than Dwight Gayle? I think not. Especially as he'll be playing in the ACON for part of the season. I still feel that Kodjia sold us a bit short as a club. He should've given us two seasons at least. Seems an odd move for him anyway - how much more attractive are Derby than us?? If he'd gone to a Premier League team, you could've understood it.

In a way tho, after his first season, I think it's more likely that a second season would have seen his stock fall as I'm not sure he's a regular 20 goal a season player. I, for one, am glad that at last our club are selling players when they are at the top of their game and give us most profit.

10 hours ago, shelts said:

I'm not sure Kodj wants out, but like every footballer (especially at 27) will be looking at the fastest route to the biggest pot of money - Derby have more chance of going up than we do in the next couple of seasons and the biggest pot of money is in the Prem.

Put yourself in his position - I would probably be a bit distracted if someone was willing to pay £14m and probably double my wages but the people I worked for wouldnt let me out of my current contract.

6 minutes ago, Chappers said:

If you could double your wages, at least, and pocket a nice signing on fee, would you not do it? Remember, he's not young, so this could be his one big chance to play at the top level, and set himself and his family up for life.

I guess I might, I dunno. I do believe in ethics as well, so it would be a difficult decision. But who know what conversations he's had with the manager. Maybe LJ gave his blessing and said he'd be a fool to turn it down.

By the way, I think he'd have been set up for life either way. Even getting 10 grand a week is stupid money by anyone else's standards.

2 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/27/jonathan-kodjia-hull-ready-to-break-transfer-record-with-14milli/?

If this is true hardly the best career move -odds on to get relegated and a bit of a dump.

I don't know. If he does well there then another Premier League side will probably take him on should Hull be relegated.

Don't rule Villa out of this purchase yet - they are still interested and in the same boat as Derby, panic mode. It would certainly make sense not to play him if the club thought the opposition on the day could yet cough up 14 million, keep the allure of the purchase alive as it were - it also helps the bidding war.

I don't blame Kodjia at all, I think the club see a 12 million profit as good business and rightly so, I'm not sure he is pushing for a move.

i think he would be a loss, but I would hope with the new structure in place (Des Taylor especially) we could get a good replacement for the 6-8 mill region.

i also agree with the poster above who suggests he may not be able to replicate his 20 goals, and with LJ playing him out wide it changes his game.

We have learned it seems from getting burned with Nicky Maynard. Had we sold him at the top of his game when we had the opportunity we would have received three times what we eventually accrued.

I keep reading on here what great business it is for us to get 14 million quid for a striker that cost us 2 million quid just over a year ago. I completely agree with this. But the assessment of how good this business is fails to take into account that not only would we receive 14 mill for a player that cost 2 mill just over a year ago, but in that year that player notched 20 goals in a, for the most part, struggling side. Without 19 of those goals we would surely be in League 1 again now. Although, we don't know how many another striker might've notched for us.

So it is a brilliant bit of business.

All this "wants out" and "got in his ear" stuff is absolute nonsense.

I'm perfectly happy at my employer but if another company offered me a significantly increased salary with better prospects, of course I'd sit up and listen. Doesn't mean I "want out".

Neither does it mean he "thinks he's a bit special". He is a footballer with a limited number of years as a professional is and quite understandbly interested in an attractive move.

Seems to be a default to assume a player leaving is in some way offending the club.

The money in the premier league is ridiculous as we all know which is why although £14m to us seems crazy, if he scores the goals the keep Hull up then it would be money well spent as far as they are concerned. Likewise with Derby if they believe he can score the goals to get them there.

Fulham went big on McCormack expecting him to fire them straight back up but it didn't work and now they are struggling financially. It's an estimated risk that the buying club is taking.

Dirty Gashead here, sorry to butt in but was interested to see your views on Kodjia after i read the reported 14m offer.

What is value anymore? I have no idea how good he is for you but it seems insane.

Seems like you should bite anyones hand off at that type of money, but the double edged sword os when you go to buy someone and they know you have x money.

This new TV deal just seems at the top os going to have a serious impact on the FL clubs has money filters down and teams might start to over stretch.

Almost like the ITV digital fiasco but on a much bigger scale

1 minute ago, Hello said:

Dirty Gashead here, sorry to butt in but was interested to see your views on Kodjia after i read the reported 14m offer.

What is value anymore? I have no idea how good he is for you but it seems insane.

Seems like you should bite anyones hand off at that type of money, but the double edged sword os when you go to buy someone and they know you have x money.

This new TV deal just seems at the top os going to have a serious impact on the FL clubs has money filters down and teams might start to over stretch.

Almost like the ITV digital fiasco but on a much bigger scale

The more I reflect the more I think £10m with add one such as 'winning promotion' clauses, goal scoring clauses is probably about his value to a selling club. 

Last year Grey went for £9m after one season at this level and fired the goals to win Burnley a massive payday - and they will make a profit on him still. Vydra yesterday goes for £8m after 2 good seasons in his career at this level - none recently. And then McCormack goes for £11m and £12m. In light of those, £10m cash seems right with an extra £4m sweetener if it works out. 

I get it that he isn't young and he has the chance to set him and his loved ones up it just disappoints me that he made his feelings know by being a little petulant. Fair play to LJ for dropping him. Anymore than we paid for him and it's good business for the club but it will leave us a little short so hopefully it will be one out, one in.

Must give a lot of credit to our former Boss Cotts for a cracking buy as I'm sure most of us would never of heard of the Kodja. 

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

I get it that he isn't young and he has the chance to set him and his loved ones up it just disappoints me that he made his feelings know by being a little petulant. Fair play to LJ for dropping him. Anymore than we paid for him and it's good business for the club but it will leave us a little short so hopefully it will be one out, one in.

Must give a lot of credit to our former Boss Cotts for a cracking buy as I'm sure most of us would never of heard of the Kodja. 

It's a shame the way that Cotterill ended, but you have to say that he recruited players that kept or improved their value: Kodjia, Agard and Ayling being the most recent examples. Time was that we recruited expensively, paid well and then had to pay players off to get rid of them. Things is looking up...

£14 million for JK is ridiculous money. 

It was very frustrating watching last season. A raw talent who made his own goals but unable to read the game , unable to link up play, he would never lay the ball off and bring others into the game.

He was constantly off side!

He wasn't the most clinical of finishers and he didn't poach many goals because he just read the game well enough.

Lets compare JK to Tammy, Tammy is a poacher right place and the right time look at his goal yesterday.

Tammy makes goals and assist , look at the ball he played through yesterday for Joe's goal, I never saw JK play a passlike that, he would have tried beating 3 defenders. Tammy is big strong with a good touch and can take players on similar to JK but Tammy has far more attributes than Jk.

If JK is worth £14 million , Tammy must be worth over £20 million.

Lee Johnson said last week that Tammy is worth £20 million plus I thought he must have joking now looking at it now LJ is spot on.

I also don't think I would play JK and Tammy together as a partnership. I would go with one up top with Tomlin playing off that player in a free role. I think the manager would have to make a choice between the two and I would have played Tammy every time .

49 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

We have learned it seems from getting burned with Nicky Maynard. Had we sold him at the top of his game when we had the opportunity we would have received three times what we eventually accrued.

I keep reading on here what great business it is for us to get 14 million quid for a striker that cost us 2 million quid just over a year ago. I completely agree with this. But the assessment of how good this business is fails to take into account that not only would we receive 14 mill for a player that cost 2 mill just over a year ago, but in that year that player notched 20 goals in a, for the most part, struggling side. Without 19 of those goals we would surely be in League 1 again now. Although, we don't know how many another striker might've notched for us.

So it is a brilliant bit of business.

I don't think it is ever 'brilliant business' to sell your top scorer, especially to a Championship rival. You said without his goals we would have gone down, maybe with his goals his season and Tammy's we would have made the play offs? Every players has a price and you can't keep players who are determined to leave, but replacing him probably won't be as easy as some on here seem to think (I hope I'm wrong and we have another 'Tammy' up our sleeves).

In years gone by I would have been worried selling our top scorer but not now.

We've seen over the summer that we are able to recruit and recruit well, I fully expect LJ and MA to have contingency plans for this.

Lets be honest JK hasn't looked the best this season, whether it's due to Tammy getting the main striking role or he wants out for whatever reason..  If someone is going to offer us stupid money and let's face it £10 + million is stupid we have to take it.

We were warned not to get too attached to players and we've seen this week that we're happy to sell players on and get young exciting new ones in.

As for JK I think the club are doing what every other clubs do and that trying to start a bidding war.. And it's worked by the sound of it!

JK is overrated for me at that price. 14 million! Take the money and reinvest. Even better, it would appear that the Derby story has provoked a bidding war, which means we will maximise our £££. He will go to the prem league and I think we have just flushed out potential suitors to create a demand before the window closes. SL would not wish to look like an idiot by saying he would not be sold to a championship club and then selling him to one a week later. Smart, smart move. Lets see how this pans out.   

I am a fan of JK but he needs 5 chances to score a goal and whilst he was our top scorer this does gloss over the fact that creating chances was not our problem last year, it was the balance of the side and the defensive lapses. He is also wasteful on the ball and does not play in team mates. I think LJ has mixed views about him.  Patterson is a shrewd signing and IMO he has been brought in to replace Freeman. He has pace and scores goals and he is the right age. Under the radar as well...

All of a sudden we are looking like a well run club! I can see 2 more signings coming in as well. Thus, what a window for BCFC! Full credit to all at the club COYR!

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/27/jonathan-kodjia-hull-ready-to-break-transfer-record-with-14milli/?

If this is true hardly the best career move -odds on to get relegated and a bit of a dump.

Seriously, do fans actually believe that if he went to Hull he'd live on a council estate or a shitty flat in the town centre!?!? likely scenario is he may well live in the beautiful countryside, probably in a huge house half an hour away in a luxury car ride away. 

Although we all know how beautiful Bristol is, I seriously doubt any of our players are living in a two up, two down off some crack ridden estate in Easton.

This idea of players not wanting to go to so and so town because it's a dump is crazy, although I did here that Luke Ayling went to Leeds partly because of the swap deal from his bed sit in St Werburghs to  a studio flat in Chapeltown/Harehills border!

Archived