IGNORED

Is promotion likely?

Negan

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Off the top of my head - This happened all afternoon against Newcastle, with Gouffran hugging that touch line. Ironically they didn't score from there though! 

Villa's goal and a clear chance for a second came down our right.

They (Newcastle) had a lot more success when it was Matthews on the pitch, but it was Little who was slated after the game too.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

They (Newcastle) had a lot more success when it was Matthews on the pitch, but it was Little who was slated after the game too.

Both imo, are not good enough at this level on a consistent basis.

If you combined ML's energy and commitment with Matthews understanding, then you might just have a decent RB at this level.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes, Matthews was clearly unfit. Little seems to get caught out of position too often. 

Having said that, second half against Villa he was greatly improved.

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I'd be looking for a 20-25year old right back version of Joe Bryan and potentially a loan striker in January as our main signings if the rest of the squad has stayed fit.

Look abroad for both. Buying in England in January is a nightmare and prices rocket. I'd hope next summer we spend big on a goalkeeper and striker. 

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Look abroad for both. Buying in England in January is a nightmare and prices rocket. I'd hope next summer we spend big on a goalkeeper and striker. 

That would fit perfectly with my buying strategy. I would stipulate that I'd want an English based goalie though. Unless you're talking the really top level I don't have much confidence in foreign goalies at the price point we would be buying. For evidence I offer you Aston Villa's £4m+ goalie from Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

That would fit perfectly with my buying strategy. I would stipulate that I'd want an English based goalie though. Unless you're talking the really top level I don't have much confidence in foreign goalies at the price point we would be buying. For evidence I offer you Aston Villa's £4m+ goalie from Saturday.

I don't have much confidence in the English Goalies!

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Yes, Matthews was clearly unfit. Little seems to get caught out of position too often. 

Having said that, second half against Villa he was greatly improved.

He kept being caught in position, second half...

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

I'd be looking for a 20-25year old right back version of Joe Bryan and potentially a loan striker in January as our main signings if the rest of the squad has stayed fit.

Have we worked out what position Joe is going to settle in?!

Pre-season was left back, then he got moved left wing and finished in the hole behind Abraham. 

No idea what's going on!

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

The reality is however that each season there will lots of "strong promotion contenders" three will go up in May - seriously doubt we will be one of them - to be replaced by three clubs coming the other way with £120m + in their pocket, so the difficulty factor is not going to decrease, in fact every season that passes its going to get harder.

The sooner we get promoted the better, we may become a bit of a 'yo-yo' club for a few seasons but every time we get relegated we get an incredible amount of money to help us go again. There is a very real risk the EPL will become a league of 24/25 with a variation of the 4/5 playing in the Championship for a year or two. Breaking into that 'club' is going to get harder with every passing year.

I am certain that all the players and staff are aiming for the play-off's realising that its unlikely but not impossible. I don't think we can view it as 'too early' we need to go for it and see where it takes us.

I would be content with mid-table mediocrity this season but I do hope going into March that we have a chance of the top six.

What he said. Every year is going to get harder as it is not just about how we improve, it is all the other buggers too with their parachutes and foreign dosh

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

My view for what it`s worth is lets get another 41 points as quickly as we can and go from there. In our playoff season that was always our first target and we achieved it far earlier (February?) than I suspect most of us could have hoped. The pressure was off then and look what happened.

We slipped from 1st to 4th....

24 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Have we worked out what position Joe is going to settle in?!

Pre-season was left back, then he got moved left wing and finished in the hole behind Abraham. 

No idea what's going on!

He has to be central for me, be it CM or CAM. He's technically too strong, too street-smart and his vision too good to be out wide. He influences general play far too much to be a wide player. Had it not been for his speed and agility I don't think it would ever occur to many to play out wide. 

15 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He has to be central for me, be it CM or CAM. He's technically too strong, too street-smart and his vision too good to be out wide. He influences general play far too much to be a wide player. Had it not been for his speed and agility I don't think it would ever occur to many to play out wide. 

Also a waste of his talent putting him at LB when we have SG who is more than capable there.

I will be really happy with a top 14 finish but I think a lot will depend on how quickly  our new signings gel and how we do if big players like flint or tammy get injured.

That said to have a good season you can have great players but if you don't have quality mixed with good team spirit then well need I say anymore other than Qpr...

we seem to have great spirit to come from behind twice and get a winner I'm stoppage time.  

16 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I will be really happy with a top 14 finish but I think a lot will depend on how quickly  our new signings gel and how we do if big players like flint or tammy get injured.

That said to have a good season you can have great players but if you don't have quality mixed with good team spirit then well need I say anymore other than Qpr...

we seem to have great spirit to come from behind twice and get a winner I'm stoppage time.  

We have a whole pile of new players. 

If everything went right, they bonded and settled this year, then next season should be the start of the 'big push'. Strengthening and tweaking a pretty settled side, we hope. I fancy however the journey to the premiership is a lot more exciting than the destination.

To me, that is if everything went right! Anything this year realistically is a fantastical bonus. But I am a football fan, so I do dream a little, now and again.

6 minutes ago, cityexile said:

We have a whole pile of new players. 

If everything went right, they bonded and settled this year, then next season should be the start of the 'big push'. Strengthening and tweaking a pretty settled side, we hope. I fancy however the journey to the premiership is a lot more exciting than the destination.

To me, that is if everything went right! Anything this year realistically is a fantastical bonus. But I am a football fan, so I do dream a little, now and again.

In a nutshell mate. The championship is one big roller coaster ride so strap yourself in and enjoy it. I love it.

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is it just me who thinks the jury is still out on Magnusson?!

Promising yes, top bloke yes, but part of the 'best CB partnership in the championship' to which the OP alludes? I'm not sure yet...

Not for me it isnt, you can tell already once he has adapted he will be a very good player for us. Can ping a pass, do things Flint cannot do. On some players you can just tell they have the ability amd he does.

2 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Not for me it isnt, you can tell already once he has adapted he will be a very good player for us. Can ping a pass, do things Flint cannot do. On some players you can just tell they have the ability amd he does.

Fair play, appreciate your reply and view on him. What do you think he can do that Flint cannot?

10 hours ago, spudski said:

Whilst it is obviously the Clubs dream to get to the Prem, if we were to do the unthinkable and make the play offs and go up...what then?

Apart from the money, all I can think of are negatives. No way are we ready as a Club to go up yet.

Still building as a Club throughout.

I'd like to think if we ever went up, then we would be in a position to sustain that position and not come straight back down again.

Doing that would make us go backward imo.

I'd like to think we could keep getting better each season in this league and develop throughout the club.

No point dreaming about the Prem and play offs if we aren't ready for it.

It's a bit like winning a night in with Liz Hurley when you were 16...fun at the time, but with years experience behind you, you wish it had been when you were in your thirties, when you knew what you were doing, and could make it last ;-)

But a night with Liz Hurley is a night with Liz Hurley

The more I read of this thread, the more I believe we do need to challeng for it and soon. I don't expect it this year but I imagine LJ and co do. Tbf, the 3 relegated teams are as difficult as they come. Next year will probably be easier when you look at who could be relegated. Sure with success will come some bids but that is why we recruit the way we do. Want one of ours, well they'll be expensive and next man up. Flint goes, step up Moore. Korey goes, step up Brownhill. This isn't finished yet and that is why you get the 3 Windows speak. That's why I think we were in for that Henry. A couple years of maximising revenues with sales we will get to the point where we can easily say no and go from there. Losses can be £39m over 3 seasons. Well it's our second and with sales of players, we are probably close to even. So in theory, we could spend £35m next year and not breach FFP. Keep this cycle of selling high and we will never have to worry about losses. If we need or want a player, money will be available. 

To summarise my point. We want to get promoted ASAP as it may get harder every year with PP. Though I think this will vary(seems tough this year and think next year it could be easier). No need to panic of we sell because chances are we've got the replacement already here and will just get another young hungry player to fill the void and fight for a first team place. Keeps everyone on their toes and the clubs books in top shape. The club is setting its self up to run itself for years and that should be enough for anyone. 

11 hours ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Now when LJ first came in he said that he would need 3/4 transfer windows. Now judging by his first, come the 4th we'll be a force. I look at the team now and for the first time in our more recent championship days we look like a serious top 10 team. I honestly wouldn't swap Flint and Magnusson for any other teams central defenders. When Smith is back and 100% him and O'Neil arguably one of the best midfield duos in their positions. Obviously we would have liked that quality striker to replace Kodjia but Abraham looks as though he'll hit the 20 mark and Engvall could yet turn out to be a gem.

Now top 10 teams are promotion contenders. Do you reckon we can finish in the play offs this season? We're off to a cracking start and what seems like 3 of our hardest fixtures behind us, which we came out of with our heads held high, can we keep it up for the rest of the season?

I think we'll have a top half finish, be disappointing if we don't considering the amount of money we've spent. Which if we do, we then might be able to attract that next level of player which will boost us up and we can have a real go at it, if we did finish in the play offs it would be a season to early for us. I know some fans might want here and now success but I think this season we'll get top half and then next year LJ and co will really go for it. Certainly exciting ones ahead. 

Our last promotion was done with style, no questions, no luck, no dodgy pray off lottery, we got here because we earnt it, consolidate, suss out the competition and then have a pop maybe 2 years ahead, 

then we shall be back, ready to survive in new waters with bigger sharks!!!!!

56 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play, appreciate your reply and view on him. What do you think he can do that Flint cannot?

Magnusson can spray a 40 yard pass to a guy out wide, can run forward with the ball and can take a freekick. Not saying he is better a defender than Flint, who literally is no nonsense and is fantastic at that. The difference is Magnusson has been coached at Juventus and Flint coached at Altrincham.

16 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Magnusson can spray a 40 yard pass to a guy out wide, can run forward with the ball and can take a freekick. Not saying he is better a defender than Flint, who literally is no nonsense and is fantastic at that. The difference is Magnusson has been coached at Juventus and Flint coached at Altrincham.

Fair enough, I've been to four of our five league games so far this season, haven't seen much of what you have obviously seen...it's just very interesting how fans can view the games and players so differently.

Right from the start I've said he is a good/promising player so we obviously agree on that.

He can take a free kick? I've seen one sail into the South Stand...but I suppose he did 'take' that free kick...which other ones prompted you to say he can 'take a free kick'?

I've seen Flint pass the ball 40 yards, are you saying Flint can't do that? I've also seen Flint score a hatrick...

And your patronising comparison between the clubs who have coached Flint and Magnusson...you obviously aren't aware that Flint never played for Altrincham...

Archived