IGNORED

Why did it take you so long Mr Lansdown ?

Major Isewater

19 hours ago, EnderMB said:

It's all about Mark Ashton, for me. His arrival had an immediate impact, with the quality of signings we were able to bring to the club.

It's sometimes as simple as having someone that understands the modern game making the decisions full-time.

Yes but who employed him. 

4 hours ago, JM91 said:

In a nutshell, he stopped appointing who the fans wanted because, by and large, the fans are clueless.

I was n't referring to simply first team managers but the managers of the club , the organisation that is BCFC.

Frankly , most of us did n't know about Ashton or Sextone so would n't have had an opinion either way .

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

I agree that it's taken some time for SL to realise that the football business is like no other type of business and cannot be run along the same lines despite his own considerable business acumen.

The huge difference now is not so much the manager but Mark Ashton who Lansdown trusts to run his football club. Prior to his appointment the club was run by people who didn't have much experience of the football world including several of the board.

Lansdown wanted a manager who would buy into the 5 pillars strategy and unfortunately for Cotterill he failed to do so and is now out of work. He sent MA out to recruit and I strongly suspect that LJ was a name suggested by SL. 

With heiracy in place that SL is happy with the money has become availabile. 

My thought on this is kind of opposite on one point at least. 

I think SL tried to interfere in the running of the football side as little as possible and back his and the boards picks as manager. Thus Various managers had free reign and access to a considerable fortune. 

However after Mr McIness was dismissed having thrown money away on poor coaching and back room staff and largely valueless players bought by him and to a large extent his predecessors he came to the realization that the football side needed to be run as a business with a long term strategy. Hence the five pillars. SOD didn't have access to the huge money (relatively to a club of our size and history) that the earlier guys did and was given the task of recruiting young players. This didn't work out well as we had a young side going nowhere. Enter SC who didn't go along with the strategy after promotion and tried to spend huge sums on players and went head to head with SL until the decision was made to fire him. SL had enough by Reading away and plans were drawn up to have the club run temporarily and the last straw was losing to PNE Cunningham scoring and SC getting into a screamer with a supporter. 

The point is despite living in Geurnsey the bloke is more hands on than ever and is investing in the club so it is run much more like a self sustaining business. AG is open 7 days a week for conferences and sports bars the ground is able to hold 27k (soon) and players from our youth system and players bought and developed are being sold for money. LA DW KA all sold City got lucky with JK and the sell on clauses for AA and YB (who could have predicted that windfall when he left) helped, however the smarter you are the luckier you get. 

Add JB AF LF MP et al into the mix and you can easily tell our club has and has developed assets that have value. My point is it's because we are now run like any other business with a short medium and long term strategy money is spent to develop assets and sell them on at a profit and cash flow is underpinned by non football income as described is why we are where we are. My argument is its because we are run more like a business and SL has taken control and driven that is why we are who and what we are. Being a billionaire helps!!

The addition of Bristol Sport helps again and moving Bristol Rugby to AG could turn out to be decisive factor particularly if Bristol can maintain their status. Can you imagine the revenue development if Bristol do well and are competitive in domestic and European Rugby. Cross funding is not easy under the rules of association and Rugby football but under the Bristol Sport umbrella is far more possible. 

Thus it's because of being ran as a business like any other service driven company that we are seeing progress and the fact that the main service is not seen in isolation from the rest of the business is another factor. 

Archived