IGNORED

Why did it take you so long Mr Lansdown ?

Major Isewater

• Admin
23 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

See, I don't think we're are miles behind other clubs. There are very few well run clubs in our league, but we are now one of them.

Our reputation is being increased constantly, either by signing younger players, or through the many positive articles published about us in the national press. It's also widely thought that LJ is one of the best young coaches in the country.

In 30 years of supporting the club, I honestly feel this period is one of the best in terms of professionalism and reputation.

For me, we have the potential to, in the very near future, build a club like Southampton or Swansea have. 

Just think for a second what the media say every time Eddie Howe's name is mentioned? Near enough every time it is accompanied by someone telling the audience or readers that he's a top young coach. The same is now being said of LJ whenever he is mentioned by TalkSport, Channel5 or the more serious national newspapers. This will enter the psyche of any watching/listening/reading young footballers and they will want to play for him.

16 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

See, I don't think we're are miles behind other clubs. There are very few well run clubs in our league, but we are now one of them.

Our reputation is being increased constantly, either by signing younger players, or through the many positive articles published about us in the national press. It's also widely thought that LJ is one of the best young coaches in the country.

In 30 years of supporting the club, I honestly feel this period is one of the best in terms of professionalism and reputation.

For me, we have the potential to, in the very near future, build a club like Southampton or Swansea have. 

I agree we are getting better...but we still have miles to go to catch up with the likes of Swansea or Southampton like you quote. We have potential...we've always had 'potential' hence the 'sleeping giant' tag.

There are some fine clubs in this league...that have been in it for years, like Ipswich. I wouldn't say there are very few well run clubs. Unfortunately when you get to this level, there is a whole lot of money in it and journeyman pros on massive wages. Going through the motions.

This is why i'm pleased to see young hungry players introduced.

21 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

What I don't understand is why you're not a billionaire Spudski!

I spend too much time on here and not working for a start ;-)

Tbh...I've seen how the other half live, and how much work and problems money brings. I was in a long term relationship with a multi millionaires daughter. Money was no object. He was on the board at Man City at one point. I've never seen such an unhappy family...money can't buy you happiness as they say. It can bring you material possessions and a whole lot of problems from my experience.

Would much rather be content and have freedom and time.

Not many organisations are run on the basis of making a continual series of optimal decisions. Most try stuff, succeed/fail, have some good luck, have some bad luck, learn from mistakes, gain experience etc. With reasonably deep pockets, the chances were likely to be that SL would make a lot of mistakes, but be able to continue to finance as he learned, now some of those benefits (learning and continuity) are revealing themselves. Plenty of 'football' people are hopeless, getting the right ones has large elements of luck and experience and if there was a formula, everyone would win the PL every year... doesn't seem overly likely.

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

For me, appointing Ashton has been huge

i highlighted years ago on here we needed a 'football man' to oversee the running of the football club

I can remember when Reading had their success, and their owner Madjeski had appointed Nicky Hammond to pretty much run the football side of things

"I'm a business man...what do I know about running. Football club?" He said in an interview

We finally have that football man in place. 

And to think we thought the success of Reading was done to Steve Coppell. Ironically I heard he left for the reason quoted here which is the lack of professional football people at the club and the lack of infrastructure for success.

Can we stop mentioning the impact of Mark Ashton? Er, hello. Others clubs can read this. Not to mention what might end up in the Evening Post.

So from now on I don't want to see anyone using MA's name without either 'clueless' 'useless' 'totally incompetent' or 'corrupt' added in.

Bloke hasn't got a clue....

9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Just think for a second what the media say every time Eddie Howe's name is mentioned? Near enough every time it is accompanied by someone telling the audience or readers that he's a top young coach. The same is now being said of LJ whenever he is mentioned by TalkSport, Channel5 or the more serious national newspapers. This will enter the psyche of any watching/listening/reading young footballers and they will want to play for him.

Exactly, with good young coaches, come good young players.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I have no more experience than SL...apart from playing football and taking an interest in coaching and scouting. He's a far more astute business man than me.

It's not rocket science EAM...You employ people who know their job and have the experience to prove it. Plus you put people in place. We had two scouts for many years...a Professional football club with two scouts. Where were all the analysts, physios, coach's etc,etc,etc? Compared to other League 1 and Championship clubs with far less resources we were and still am miles behind.

It's not rocket science to look at Bristol and it's catchment area, and wonder why Villa, Cardiff and Southampton are snapping up players and yet we were doing nothing about it.

yes in financial services. He probably didn't have the same interest in scouting and coaching that you do. 

If you join a business that is a particular structure it takes time and money to change and implement a new way of working. I guess football has moved on since SL took over BCFC but sometimes it's difficult to change an old formula, even if it isn't working. My friend's husband was a principal of a college and found it incredibly hard to get the teachers etc to accept change. You can't sack all of them because they don't buy into your ideas. BCFC was a smalltime club with a smalltime attitude.

I don't know enough about who has come and gone from the board over the years, but I guess SL thought he was employing the right people. Only with hindsight can you see what did and didn't work.

AV was a massive distraction, ditching that has probably allowed a new way of thinking and progress in the matters that you have mentioned. 

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

I have no more experience than SL...apart from playing football and taking an interest in coaching and scouting. He's a far more astute business man than me.

It's not rocket science EAM...You employ people who know their job and have the experience to prove it. Plus you put people in place. We had two scouts for many years...a Professional football club with two scouts. Where were all the analysts, physios, coach's etc,etc,etc? Compared to other League 1 and Championship clubs with far less resources we were and still am miles behind.

It's not rocket science to look at Bristol and it's catchment area, and wonder why Villa, Cardiff and Southampton are snapping up players and yet we were doing nothing about it.

Interesting as usual. Could you expand on where you think we are still miles behind, given the evident recent improvements? I note we are now also after a second assistant first team coach, rightly as LJ and JP can't do it all.

Personally I still have grave doubts about the Academy - hence we have brought in young players from outside for development - and would pay top dollar for the best people we could get to run things there.

2 minutes ago, pritcm said:

And to think we thought the success of Reading was done to Steve Coppell. Ironically I heard he left for the reason quoted here which is the lack of professional football people at the club and the lack of infrastructure for success.

That's not true.

Coppell quit because he'd simply had enough of football. His heart just wasn't in it any longer and because of that he didn't want to con the club by just picking up his salary when just going through the motions.

He deserves respect for that decision imv.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's not true.

Coppell quit because he'd simply had enough of football. His heart just wasn't in it any longer and because of that he didn't want to con the club by just picking up his salary when just going through the motions.

What's your proof for saying that?

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's not true.

Yet he's returned to it several times since.

What simplistic, utter bollocks.

11 minutes ago, pritcm said:

So he didn't do any due diligence before signing?;)

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What's your proof for saying that?

At the time Millen was living in Nailsea - where I live - and Coppell arranged to meet up with Millen in a local pub. Millen assumed they were going to discuss footie over a pint but instead Coppell told him his decision right out of the blue. Millen was stunned. 

Whatever his reasons Coppell's departure set the club back years. Dented confidence. That debacle and the embarrassment of getting it so wrong coupled with the failure of all the effort put into Ashton Vale must have put the dampers on at least some of the owner's enthusiasm. At the time many were critical, myself included. I give huge credit to the Lansdowns for sticking with it.

That said a number of regular posters were crying out for more professional management of the club years ago. Quite why it's not been put in place has been a bit of mystery. But that's in the past...things are looking good at the moment.

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Interesting as usual. Could you expand on where you think we are still miles behind, given the evident recent improvements? I note we are now also after a second assistant first team coach, rightly as LJ and JP can't do it all.

Personally I still have grave doubts about the Academy - hence we have brought in young players from outside for development - and would pay top dollar for the best people we could get to run things there.

We need to keep improving in all departments imo...we've only just implemented many things, like more analysts. Quality and numbers, and experience in all departments.

It's all going in the right direction...as you noted re the other coach needed.

Our scouting and coaching at all levels needs expanding and improving on.

But...in saying that...we are going in the right direction...but playing catch up to other teams who are already more established.

How we let Villa, Cardiff and Southampton put a foot hold over our local area is beyond me.

I will say we have a gem in Brian Tinnion. He works his nuts off for this club.

A lot of people talk of 'professional management' but no names are ever put forward.

We had Colin Sexton is the house hotseat for quite some time and I'm fairly sure his CV read well (far better than Jonathan Gould), so out of interest, who would those who wanted a different management structure have gone for?

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At the time Millen was living in Nailsea - where I live - and Coppell arranged to meet up with Millen in a local pub. Millen assumed they were going to discuss footie over a pint but instead Coppell told him his decision right out of the blue. Millen was stunned. 

Interesting thanks, perhaps it was a combination of both because I've heard a fair few people relay the other narrative about being disappointed with the infrastructure when he got here. Always good to hear anecdotes like that though.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

A lot of people talk of 'professional management' but no names are ever put forward.

We had Colin Sexton is the house hotseat for quite some time and I'm fairly sure his CV read well (far better than Jonathan Gould), so out of interest, who would those who wanted a different management structure have gone for?

Scenario...manager...'I need 25k for new gym facilities as what we have are not adequate for a Professional football club.'

Answer...'you can have 12K'

Manager...'But I need 25K'

Answer...'Should have asked for 50K then' ;-) :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Scenario...manager...'I need 25k for new gym facilities as what we have are not adequate for a Professional football club.'

Answer...'you can have 12K'

Manager...'But I need 25K'

Answer...'Should have asked for 50K then' ;-)

That's my story! ;-)

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All you're doing is repeating the stories published in the media at the time, yes Coppell said he was fed up with football and yes he met Millen and told him the same.....but the truth is a long way from that

1. Before Coppell joined Reading fans told us he was hypersensitive  to interference on the football side, he respected Madjeski who never interfered, he only reported through Nicky Hammond  - a football man he respected.

2. Coppell spoke at a Football Forum in Berkshire quite some time after leaving BS3 and he admitted he only said he was fed up as he wanted to leave BCFC without any fuss or media spotlight

3. Coppell was interviewed in one of the national papers about a year ago and basically gave a come and get me story to any chairman in the championship saying he could get any team promoted given reasonable funding as long as he was left to work his way with no interference

So what happened at Cityt?

He was frustrated with the board not getting his targets, specifically he wanted Ingermarrsen and Kitson, 2 players he worked with at Reading. SL vetoed the signings saying they were too old at around the age 30 mark, and too expensive.  A week later SL proposed the signing of David James who was both older and more expensive than his own targets and he felt he couldn't work with what he saw as interference in football matters.  Yes SC publically welcomed DJ but he's not the type to publically cause a fuss - he simply decided BCFC wasn't for him and spun the "fed up with football" line to extricate himself with too much fuss.

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yet he's returned to it several times since.

What simplistic, utter bollocks.

He has, but at the time he he'd lost all motivation and owned up and decided he had to resign. It wasn't the first time either. Pretty much the same had occurred at Man City. 

Or is that utter bollocks as well? 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He has, but at the time he he'd lost all motivation and owned up and decided he had to resign. It wasn't the first time either. Pretty much the same had occurred at Man City. 

Or is that utter bollocks as well? 

Do you really not know the reason he left Man City?  It was well covered (up) on several internet sites.

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's not true.

That's not quiet true Robbo...SC quit football because he was disillusioned with what he had been promised at BCFC.

Remember...SL went chasing him and he really wasn't that keen on coming here.

SL wanted to emulate what SC had done at Reading.

SC said something along the lines, that he would only come here if he was allowed to do it his way, and be left to run the club how he likes...which worked at Reading.

He was made promises about how things would be and what he would be allowed to bring in.

What he found in reality was different. He chose to leave because he couldn't work with what was the reality at the club and not what he was told.

I've heard that from the man himself...and funnily from KM as well, all through golf, and a former Professional at long Ashton Golf Club who they are good friends with.

As has been noted...SC has returned to football in various forms and still working in the game abroad.

He and SoD have both been vilified on this forum for many things that were out of their control and not their fault.

However both could have done better in other aspects as well.

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

All you're doing is repeating the stories published in the media at the time, yes Coppell said he was fed up with football and yes he met Millen and told him the same.....but the truth is a long way from that

So what happened at Cityt?

He was frustrated with the board not getting his targets, specifically he wanted Ingermarrsen and Kitson, 2 players he worked with at Reading. SL vetoed the signings saying they were too old at around the age 30 mark, and too expensive.  A week later SL proposed the signing of David James who was both older and more expensive than his own targets and he felt he couldn't work with what he saw as interference in football matters.  Yes SC publically welcomed DJ but he's not the type to publically cause a fuss - he simply decided BCFC wasn't for him and spun the "fed up with football" line to extricate himself with too much fuss.

Could well be true but I rarely read newspapers these days. I might read the Post over a coffee in the local cafe but that about it.

Essentially you're say that Coppell was being disingenuous about why he left City.

Archived