IGNORED

Why did it take you so long Mr Lansdown ?

Major Isewater

I agree that it's taken some time for SL to realise that the football business is like no other type of business and cannot be run along the same lines despite his own considerable business acumen.

The huge difference now is not so much the manager but Mark Ashton who Lansdown trusts to run his football club. Prior to his appointment the club was run by people who didn't have much experience of the football world including several of the board.

Lansdown wanted a manager who would buy into the 5 pillars strategy and unfortunately for Cotterill he failed to do so and is now out of work. He sent MA out to recruit and I strongly suspect that LJ was a name suggested by SL. 

With heiracy in place that SL is happy with the money has become availabile. 

For me, appointing Ashton has been huge

i highlighted years ago on here we needed a 'football man' to oversee the running of the football club

I can remember when Reading had their success, and their owner Madjeski had appointed Nicky Hammond to pretty much run the football side of things

"I'm a business man...what do I know about running. Football club?" He said in an interview

We finally have that football man in place. 

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agree that it's taken some time for SL to realise that the football business is like no other type of business and cannot be run along the same lines despite his own considerable business acumen.

The huge difference now is not so much the manager but Mark Ashton who Lansdown trusts to run his football club. Prior to his appointment the club was run by people who didn't have much experience of the football world including several of the board.

Lansdown wanted a manager who would buy into the 5 pillars strategy and unfortunately for Cotterill he failed to do so and is now out of work. He sent MA out to recruit and I strongly suspect that LJ was a name suggested by SL. 

I'm not simply talking about managers on the football side but club management, to be clear .

6 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

It's all about Mark Ashton, for me. His arrival had an immediate impact, with the quality of signings we were able to bring to the club.

It's sometimes as simple as having someone that understands the modern game making the decisions full-time.

I think, just as importantly, this has happened both with buying and selling players now.

I've often wondered in the past if we are getting enough when selling players, since MA I think we seem to get a better price for our players. 

Agard for over a million, Ayling 700k, Kodjia etc etc. 

Nobody is fleecing us. 

14 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Why has he done it at all, might be the question.

Plenty of owners plod along not getting it right forever. At least while we were getting it wrong we got a game away from the Premier League, won League 1 with a record points tally and went on a 20-odd game unbeaten run.

You're easily pleased ;-)

SL's own admittance of being embarrassed at the amount of money he's wasted on this Club, speaks a thousand words.

It was probably having all that money and being allowed to use it in the past, which has been our downfall.

We wanted to buy our way to the Prem. Didn't look at the long term and only the short term.

The mind does boggle though...and I can only think it's ego in the past.

If I had Millions of £'s to put into a football club, the first thing I would do, would be to hire professionals who know how a football club is run, and put the appropriate staff in place.

How any owner worth his salt could come into a football club, look at the academy, and then look at the coaching staff and our previous scouting network, and think it was ok, is beyond me.

We've had a succession of managers in the past who have all said we needed 'football people' in place.

They were pulling their hair out, at the lack of Professionalism and knowledge before.

We've had some really good managers here in the past...and they have all failed to some degree, with only small amounts of short term success. All down to the lack of Professional people at the club and it's poor infrastructure.

At last we seem to be sorting it...but we are still playing catch up and still miles behind other clubs.

However...praise where due...it's being sorted it seems.

@spudski not really. Every club that isn't a Bournemouth or a Swansea or a Stoke looks at them and thinks 'why can't we do that'. There's a reason very few do.

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Now I've seen enough of football from the inside to know there's plenty of people just in it for themselves and making a lot of money without any clue what they're doing... That's enough to make it hard on its own. Luckily, while Ashton is on an absolute wedge, he is one of the few who does know what he's doing.

And besides, how many clubs have done what we've done while SL has been at the helm? A few, granted, but there's plenty who have been ****** over in that time too.

Look at the stats - it might not be in the Premier League, but since 1998 we've finished in the top 10 of our league in all but five seasons.

Those five may have all been since 2010, but that's another story...

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

For me, appointing Ashton has been huge

i highlighted years ago on here we needed a 'football man' to oversee the running of the football club

I can remember when Reading had their success, and their owner Madjeski had appointed Nicky Hammond to pretty much run the football side of things

"I'm a business man...what do I know about running. Football club?" He said in an interview

We finally have that football man in place. 

I agree, with one small caveat. Having the right football man in charge is important. It worked for Reading with Hammond and seems to be working well for us with MA but I'm not sure whether Les Ferdinand is proving to be as successful at QPR?

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I agree, with one small caveat. Having the right football man in charge is important. It worked for Reading with Hammond and seems to be working well for us with MA but I'm not sure whether Les Ferdinand is proving to be as successful at QPR?

Can't work everywhere, thankfully the early signs are good here

Someone said the other day that MA was a pro as a youngster?? Didn't realise that, but just because Ferdinand played at the very top level doesn't mean he knows the business inside out. Great contacts he may well have, but (right now) I wouldn't swap MA for all the England caps and PL goals LF scored

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

SL's own admittance of being embarrassed at the amount of money he's wasted on this Club, speaks a thousand words.

It was probably having all that money and being allowed to use it in the past, which has been our downfall.

We wanted to buy our way to the Prem. Didn't look at the long term and only the short term.

If I had Millions of £'s to put into a football club, the first thing I would do, would be to hire professionals who know how a football club is run, and put the appropriate staff in place.

How any owner worth his salt could come into a football club, look at the academy, and then look at the coaching staff and our previous scouting network, and think it was ok, is beyond me.

We've had a succession of managers in the past who have all said we needed 'football people' in place.

They were pulling their hair out, at the lack of Professionalism and knowledge before.

We've had some really good managers here in the past...and they have all failed to some degree, with only small amounts of short term success. All down to the lack of Professional people at the club and it's poor infrastructure.

At last we seem to be sorting it...but we are still playing catch up and still miles behind other clubs.

Yes but you've probably got more experience behind you, if you did buy a football club, than SL did. He only had the word of those around him. He trusted them…

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

See, I don't think we're are miles behind other clubs. There are very few well run clubs in our league, but we are now one of them.

Our reputation is being increased constantly, either by signing younger players, or through the many positive articles published about us in the national press. It's also widely thought that LJ is one of the best young coaches in the country.

In 30 years of supporting the club, I honestly feel this period is one of the best in terms of professionalism and reputation.

For me, we have the potential to, in the very near future, build a club like Southampton or Swansea have. 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

What I don't understand is why you're not a billionaire Spudski!

17 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

@spudski not really. Every club that isn't a Bournemouth or a Swansea or a Stoke looks at them and thinks 'why can't we do that'. There's a reason very few do.

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Now I've seen enough of football from the inside to know there's plenty of people just in it for themselves and making a lot of money without any clue what they're doing... That's enough to make it hard on its own. Luckily, while Ashton is on an absolute wedge, he is one of the few who does know what he's doing.

And besides, how many clubs have done what we've done while SL has been at the helm? A few, granted, but there's plenty who have been ****** over in that time too.

Look at the stats - it might not be in the Premier League, but since 1998 we've finished in the top 10 of our league in all but five seasons.

Those five may have all been since 2010, but that's another story...

Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of Clubs with mad owners or run poorly that should be doing better. Leeds and Sheffield Utd for a start.

The point I was trying to make, was we have thrown good money at bad. There are many Clubs that have achieved similar to us, that have had far less financial input, but have gone about their business in an astute way. The proper way.

SL has admitted his faults...it's clearly documented now. We had no proper infrastructure and had a short term outlook. He's admitted this.

12 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but you've probably got more experience behind you, if you did buy a football club, than SL did. He only had the word of those around him. He trusted them…

I have no more experience than SL...apart from playing football and taking an interest in coaching and scouting. He's a far more astute business man than me.

It's not rocket science EAM...You employ people who know their job and have the experience to prove it. Plus you put people in place. We had two scouts for many years...a Professional football club with two scouts. Where were all the analysts, physios, coach's etc,etc,etc? Compared to other League 1 and Championship clubs with far less resources we were and still am miles behind.

It's not rocket science to look at Bristol and it's catchment area, and wonder why Villa, Cardiff and Southampton are snapping up players and yet we were doing nothing about it.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of Clubs with mad owners or run poorly that should be doing better. Leeds and Sheffield Utd for a start.

The point I was trying to make, was we have thrown good money at bad. There are many Clubs that have achieved similar to us, that have had far less financial input, but have gone about their business in an astute way. The proper way.

SL has admitted his faults...it's clearly documented now. We had no proper infrastructure and had a short term outlook. He's admitted this.

Well that assumes money should buy you success... wise investment is a lot better than throwing money at a problem, as you say.

So our problem hasn't been necessarily the amount we've spent, but how we've done it.

And when you look at it like that, I don't think there's too many clubs who compare much better without getting it 'right'.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Don't often agree with you Robbored but this is a spot on post.

My only concern now is if/when MA, DT and LJ get headhunted or 'do a Kodjia'. Hopefully, their contracts are watertight and SL keeps their morale up. 

Archived