IGNORED

Lee Johnson on Radio Bristol

Silvio Dante

In case anyone missed it, LJ was on "The sound of the city" for an hour tonight. A very very good listen and well worth catching on Iplayer. Few of the points he made:

- Hopes to conclude a deal for Ekstrand in next few days. Stated wouldn't have been able to get him without the prior ACL injury but had been training with the team and fitted in well 

- Korey back in training today and looked sharp

- Matthews due back training next week, Derby game probably too soon. While injured, they've been working on his body fat - per LJ a fit AM is one of the best three champ right backs, an unfit AM is one of the worst five and its whether you get him fit through games or training

- Kodjia didn't refuse flat out to play but asked not to. LJ put him on bench to cover up the request but no intention of bringing on and did so as not to affect sale price. Fined Kodjia 2 weeks wages

- Said even the players here prior were now on board with philosophy/DNA. Praised Golbourne re work he put in to manage deceleration so he can turn quicker

- Praisec Bryan, reiterated that he sees him as top left back but could play anywhere. Stated one issue was his upright stance which meant his balance wasn't conducive to having a trick but could use strength to get past people

- Tammy has been given 11 days off in view of his football over last 2 years. Told to rest but when LJ rang him he was having a kick about in the back garden

Much much more and a really good listen. From hearing LJ you can see exactly why he is regarded so highly and players want to play for him, what he says just plain makes sense, but it's the little things like above that he sees

Highly recommended listening.

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

In case anyone missed it, LJ was on "The sound of the city" for an hour tonight. A very very good listen and well worth catching on Iplayer. Few of the points he made:

- Hopes to conclude a deal for Ekstrand in next few days. Stated wouldn't have been able to get him without the prior ACL injury but had been training with the team and fitted in well 

- Korey back in training today and looked sharp

- Matthews due back training next week, Derby game probably too soon. While injured, they've been working on his body fat - per LJ a fit AM is one of the best three champ right backs, an unfit AM is one of the worst five and its whether you get him fit through games or training

- Kodjia didn't refuse flat out to play but asked not to. LJ put him on bench to cover up the request but no intention of bringing on and did so as not to affect sale price. Fined Kodjia 2 weeks wages

- Said even the players here prior were now on board with philosophy/DNA. Praised Golbourne re work he put in to manage deceleration so he can turn quicker

- Praisec Bryan, reiterated that he sees him as top left back but could play anywhere. Stated one issue was his upright stance which meant his balance wasn't conducive to having a trick but could use strength to get past people

- Tammy has been given 11 days off in view of his football over last 2 years. Told to rest but when LJ rang him he was having a kick about in the back garden

Much much more and a really good listen. From hearing LJ you can see exactly why he is regarded so highly and players want to play for him, what he says just plain makes sense, but it's the little things like above that he sees

Highly recommended listening.

Have to say I cant recall such interesting technical answers from one of our managers before. He really does come across a someone who is part of a new wave of managers.

A very good listen.

He wouldn't have been my first choice by any means, but has impressed me so much in a short space of time. We seem to be more professional all around and have a good buzz back around the club again. I think we have a very good one in Lee (and the appointments around him).

Playing the voice of doom here but what would it take to tempt him away? Assuming he wouldn`t be offered a job with the `top six` what else would appeal to him? I can`t see him going to a divisional rival but would he fancy a shot at somewhere like Saints or Swansea do we think? Personally I think he`s here for the long haul so we don`t need to worry just yet but he must want to manage in the prem at some time I should think - hopefully with us.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Playing the voice of doom here but what would it take to tempt him away? Assuming he wouldn`t be offered a job with the `top six` what else would appeal to him? I can`t see him going to a divisional rival but would he fancy a shot at somewhere like Saints or Swansea do we think? Personally I think he`s here for the long haul so we don`t need to worry just yet but he must want to manage in the prem at some time I should think - hopefully with us.

I think he's here for a few more years yet providing things keep going in the upwards direction. If we aren't in the premier league by the time he goes then fair play to him, I'm sure he'll leave the club in a hell of a lot better shape than when he arrived.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I'm sure I heard before that Lansdown really helped LJ get started in coaching and I think LJ will want to repay that in some way

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I can't remember exactly what he said in the interview, but a point of that nature came up and I'm sure his response was along the lines of that he wanted to be the one to take us forward/up. Might be misquoting, there was a lot of detail!

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm sure I heard before that Lansdown really helped LJ get started in coaching and I think LJ will want to repay that in some way

3 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

I think he's here for a few more years yet providing things keep going in the upwards direction. If we aren't in the premier league by the time he goes then fair play to him, I'm sure he'll leave the club in a hell of a lot better shape than when he arrived.

I do hope so but when he`s sitting at home in a quiet moment which way does he see his career moving. I think he`s got enough sense to avoid any basket cases and I believe he has genuine expectations of making it with us but everyone`s got a dream. I wonder what Lee`s is.

He mentioned about being here for some time yet. I really think he wants to prove himself, and as it stands why would he want to go into another club where he knows he probably will not be given any time at all if it doesn't work straight away?

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I do hope so but when he`s sitting at home in a quiet moment which way does he see his career moving. I think he`s got enough sense to avoid any basket cases and I believe he has genuine expectations of making it with us but everyone`s got a dream. I wonder what Lee`s is.

hasn't there been mention of LJ being a fan of City in the past?

Alright he wouldn't be a fan in the sense that a born and raised Bristolian might, but surely the dream for any manager is to win the best competition possible with the club they support or world cup with national team. (by the time LJ is ready for the England job, we might actually have a set up to produce a competitive national side)

17 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Also worth to mention that Aden Flint has specially made match day socks as the standard fits give him cramp. 

This was a fib as the interview was pre-watershed. 

Aden actually has specially made match day pants. 

Cramp can be awkward at the best of times.

19 minutes ago, Redcliffe1990 said:

I've been continually impressed with LJ. Spoke quite candidly about Kodjia this evening. Interested to hear him talk about the 1% margins here and there and the continual analysis of individual players. Really comes across as positive and progressive. 

18 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Also worth to mention that Aden Flint has specially made match day socks as the standard fits give him cramp. 

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Small margins are all it takes at this level sometimes.

I like this because it's something that transcends football. I heard Dave Brailsford the Cycling coach interviewed and he said that they break down everything that goes into making a top cyclist into its component parts and then they try to improve each aspect by 1%. The idea being that if you find that it takes 100 key factors to be a top athlete and you improve each one, you get 100% better results. If you can find an interview with him it's fascinating, his team even carry around their own pillows to each hotel to ensure a good nights sleep.

So refreshing to get genuine insight from a manager. Johnson is evidently an articulate and intelligent man who talks sense, thinks logically and understands all the fine details of the game that would pass most of us by. If we as fans see a weakness or concern with the side, you can be confident he has seen it too and will be working to rectify it. I trust his judgement probably more than any manager I can think of in my lifetime. Exciting times for our club!

Really do believe Lee will go far in the game as a manager, hopefully with us! He really does love this club & you can certainly tell that in how he speaks. Every interview I hear with him I'm thoroughly impressed by the detail in how he man manages each individual player and trying to improve their weaknesses. 

You can see why he's already highly thought of by top established managers in the prem. Glad he's one of us! ;)

Keep up the good work Lee, Pembo, Mark Ashton, Des Taylor and of course Sir Steve! This club is going places, let's enjoy the ride! 

COYR!

15 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

His behaviour is a shameful way to repay the club who have paid him handsomely since he arrived in the country. I don't want players like that at our club and am glad he's gone. 

Agreed, thanks for last season but let's see what happens when Villa bring in another new manager and spend a bucket more cash.

Even if he wanted out he conducted himself poorly, kudos to the management team we managed to get a pay day out of it.

He was dead to me after all the juvenile social media stuff on Twitter, which was weeks if not months ago.

Some footballer's really lack class.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

Agreed, thanks for last season but let's see what happens when Villa bring in another new manager and spend a bucket more cash.

Even if he wanted out he conducted himself poorly, kudos to the management team we managed to get a pay day out of it.

He was dead to me after all the juvenile social media stuff on Twitter.

Some footballer's really lack class.

Compare that to Hordur`s interaction with fans via social media.

Archived