IGNORED

Lee Johnson on Radio Bristol

Silvio Dante

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

One of Engvall or Moore had been scouted '30 to 40 times' according to the club when they signed. Loved reading that

Yes and I'm sure I read that we'd been watching Kodjia for a year before taking a calculated punt on him. 

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes and I'm sure I read that we'd been watching Kodjia for a year before taking a calculated punt on him. 

Not sure of the number of times watched but both Garita and Kodjia were recommended by Mathieau Louis-Jean, ex Forest full back who now scouts for Man U per LJ last night. Our full time Spanish scout is ex-keeper Mervyn Day!

Although he wasn't in situ when Kodjia signed, one thing LJ did say is that he watches in person each potential signing at least twice even after the other homework. When you add in the work from the scouts on location and Des Taylor, I'd be surprised if we didn't watch any signing live at least in double figures in addition to video work/getting opinions from others

How it should be - finally

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

@Woodsy We are playing catch up to the majority of Championship and Prem clubs mate...although we are doing it rapidly. Miles behind still in terms of Scouting network, but that's not hard considering what we had in previous years.

I was all for having LJ here way before he came, because he's well known throughout football as being very diligent and with a modern approach. I only heard good things about him.

If we didn't have so many foreign managers in the game, he would be at a far bigger club than BCFC imo.

The fact we are now looking at, and bringing in players from the foreign market has made us much more of a forward thinking club.

However much we'd like it...the coaching in this country at grass roots is still far behind other countries.

Unfortunately...to compete at a higher level...you need these foreign players to understand all aspects of the modern game.

Footballers as well as intelligent human beings.

Of course there are British players like this...but it's far more common abroad. The whole modern thos has to be understood to compete in this day and age.

This is why SoD came unstuck in so many ways...the players here at the time, just didn't get what he was trying to do.

The 'whole' player is being looked at. Will they fit in in with all aspects of the modern game? Hence the DNA philosophy.

That 'DNA' is vital for a football like BCFC. We can't afford 'Billy big bollox' type players and all the problems that brings.

Hence why a lot of bigger clubs are struggling. They have the 'infrastructure' just the wrong ethos.

With the exception of the England U 19 job (which was tailor-made for him imo) SOD has come unstuck everywhere that he has been since and a while before he joined us.

Most foreign managers only survive in the prem at clubs who have almost unlimited amounts of cash to bring in the best players in the world and the reason is simple when you pay for the best you expect and usually get the best and the 'English' style of football goes out of the window, most clubs who survive in the lower reaches of the prem with much smaller budgets and much less access to the best players in the world, survive mainly because of English/UK managers who understand the English game fully and especially defensively.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

With the exception of the England U 19 job (which was tailor-made for him imo) SOD has come unstuck everywhere that he has been since and a while before he joined us.

Most foreign managers only survive in the prem at clubs who have almost unlimited amounts of cash to bring in the best players in the world and the reason is simple when you pay for the best you expect and usually get the best and the 'English' style of football goes out of the window, most clubs who survive in the lower reaches of the prem with much smaller budgets and much less access to the best players in the world, survive mainly because of English/UK managers who understand the English game fully and especially defensively.

This here is why I am less convinced than most that Pep Guardiola is as top quality a manager as is made out.

He clearly has something about him and is talented, but starting at Barca with unlimited funds (and the best squad in the world at the time), then going to Bayern with unlimited funds, and now Man City with (you guessed it) unlimited funds, he has hardly had a difficult starting place in any of his jobs.

Regardless of the funds available, you could have the best 11 football players on the planet, but it doesn't guarantee success. Its finding players that compliment one another and understand one another and the managers direction. All managers have to be the right fit for a club, hence some doing well at some clubs and not at others....even though they have similar wealth.

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

This here is why I am less convinced than most that Pep Guardiola is as top quality a manager as is made out.

He clearly has something about him and is talented, but starting at Barca with unlimited funds (and the best squad in the world at the time), then going to Bayern with unlimited funds, and now Man City with (you guessed it) unlimited funds, he has hardly had a difficult starting place in any of his jobs.

I agree completely, although, it's fair to say that managing players of that calibre/ego, takes it's own specific skill set. 

I'm not convinced that many of the top managers would do a great job at the likes of Walsall, Scunthorpe etc. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Regardless of the funds available, you could have the best 11 football players on the planet, but it doesn't guarantee success. Its finding players that compliment one another and understand one another and the managers direction. All managers have to be the right fit for a club, hence some doing well at some clubs and not at others....even though they have similar wealth.

That's a good point, but if Pep was made manager of Walsall (taking BS3s example) I would not bet on them going up or winning the JPT (nearest, reasonably achievable target they might give), if he was the Villa or Newcastle manager this year I still wouldn't be so sure.

2 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

This time around it was advising the female cyclists not to shave their pubic hair! Irritation and friction when wearing such tight clothing almost eradicated when they stopped. And yet because most of the coaching staff and others were men, the women never felt comfortable bringing it up, or were even asked about it, until one day someone obviously did. 

Is the shaver a job you can apply for?

If so what's the going rate, cause I'd  be willing to offer £100 per week!

However sounds like no job security now. :( 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You'd be out of work for the cycling team , the best you could offer would be a shampoo and set .

Would have been good to say you'd had a hand in the sucess  of the female cyclists though!

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Playing the voice of doom here but what would it take to tempt him away? Assuming he wouldn`t be offered a job with the `top six` what else would appeal to him? I can`t see him going to a divisional rival but would he fancy a shot at somewhere like Saints or Swansea do we think? Personally I think he`s here for the long haul so we don`t need to worry just yet but he must want to manage in the prem at some time I should think - hopefully with us.

Double 'ees wedge with a P-League club and he would do as any young and ambitious manager would do-dont see him attracting such an offer quite yet though...

4 minutes ago, Robbie_Turner said:

Also when GT asked about the deadline day striker we were after LJ confirmed it was 2 possibly, from abroad.

The main target couldn't be signed as his parent club couldn't get the replacement they wanted. He also said it was a name most would know or words to that effect.

interesting times !

CR7 :whistle:

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That's a good point, but if Pep was made manager of Walsall (taking BS3s example) I would not bet on them going up or winning the JPT (nearest, reasonably achievable target they might give), if he was the Villa or Newcastle manager this year I still wouldn't be so sure.

He's talked about as a brilliant coach and tactician by other players and coaches within the game and he has a great ability to improve players. I know it is trendy to criticise him, but Raheem Sterling is looking like the player many thought he'd become just a few games into Pep's reign. I think he'd do well wherever he was a manager. 

All theoretical but would he be Walsall manager as Pep Guardiola world renowned manager or in this example is his reputation that of a normal L1 manager? If he was going there with his current reputation, players far too good for L1 would go to Walsall to play for him.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's talked about as a brilliant coach and tactician by other players and coaches within the game and he has a great ability to improve players. I know it is trendy to criticise him, but Raheem Sterling is looking like the player many thought he'd become just a few games into Pep's reign. I think he'd do well wherever he was a manager. 

All theoretical but would he be Walsall manager as Pep Guardiola world renowned manager or in this example is his reputation that of a normal L1 manager? If he was going there with his current reputation, players far too good for L1 would go to Walsall to play for him.

Great question and I suppose you got to look at it with both scenarios, I didn't even think about the possibility his name would pull renowned players in. But that would then raise the question of which players would do that and not care about the fact they wouldn't get astronomical wages? Given the tax exploits I highly doubt you'd get Messi there based on his name. So you'd be left with quality players who aren't in it for the money, which tends to leave the ones who are coming to the end of their career and struggling to find offers, or those whose careers took a big negative impact because of injuries. (or so I'd imagine, its all speculation after all)

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Great question and I suppose you got to look at it with both scenarios, I didn't even think about the possibility his name would pull renowned players in. But that would then raise the question of which players would do that and not care about the fact they wouldn't get astronomical wages? Given the tax exploits I highly doubt you'd get Messi there based on his name. So you'd be left with quality players who aren't in it for the money, which tends to leave the ones who are coming to the end of their career and struggling to find offers, or those whose careers took a big negative impact because of injuries. (or so I'd imagine, its all speculation after all)

I was listening to 606 the other week and they were discussing him, his management and style pretty in depth on there. It's his attention to detail - much like LJ actually - that is the difference at these super clubs with almost unlimited budgets. Players at the top level are incredibly fit and really disciplined and often it's the small details that make the difference. I really rate Pep and it'll be intriguing to see his City team evolve from a football point of view. 

Again, trendy to criticise the premier league but I'm actually excited for this Manchester Derby, will be very interesting to watch that tactical battle. I'm also glad Stones and Sterling are playing under Pep, both will improve greatly as a result.

I think if he were Walsall manager with his reputation he could attract perhaps older players who've played under him before that want to take up coaching and don't need money really. It would be a very interesting experiment if the likes of Mourinho, Pep, Ancelotti, Conte or Simeone were at league 1 clubs.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You'll forgive me if I don't get the violin out for this particular lump of meat. The poor dab, with his four agents, getting paid £10k a week to play football for a few hours a day. And I suspect you are mistaken if you think football fans are forgetful!

So if JK returns to AG - you & other fans will give him aload of abuse?  That he is a disgrace for last couple of weeks? 20 goals, kept us up & over £10m profit? 

I suspect you wouldn't change roles, or protect own interests for 2x or 4x the wage? Career progression?  

You would stay put and play out contract - do me a favour.

Just now, TrowVegasCidered said:

So if JK returns to AG - you & other fans will give him aload of abuse?  That he is a disgrace for last couple of weeks? 20 goals, kept us up & over £10m profit? 

I suspect you wouldn't change roles, or protect own interests for 2x or 4x the wage? Career progression?  

What part of Chippenham Reds post suggests he will abuse Kodjia?

If he hadn't made an effort to not play against Scunthorpe, but respectfully told Lee J he would like to move to Villa and was sold I expect he would have got a warm welcome on his return.

As it stands, we gave him he chance to make a name for himself, paying him stupid money, and helping him get his international call up, and in return he forces a move away!

If he hadn't taken the course of action he did I think there would have been a chorus of his song upon his return, but after that I don't think it will happen. I wont boo or abuse him, but probably wont applaud him either.

40 minutes ago, TrowVegasCidered said:

I have no idea how you have extrapolated so much from my post. I simply disagreed with your suggestion that it would all be forgotten and with your sympathetic description of him. 

Of course I would move for career progression and I don't blame him for that one bit. Would I decline to do my current job in the meantime? Absolutely not.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

@Woodsy We are playing catch up to the majority of Championship and Prem clubs mate...although we are doing it rapidly. Miles behind still in terms of Scouting network, but that's not hard considering what we had in previous years.

I was all for having LJ here way before he came, because he's well known throughout football as being very diligent and with a modern approach. I only heard good things about him.

If we didn't have so many foreign managers in the game, he would be at a far bigger club than BCFC imo.

The fact we are now looking at, and bringing in players from the foreign market has made us much more of a forward thinking club.

However much we'd like it...the coaching in this country at grass roots is still far behind other countries.

Unfortunately...to compete at a higher level...you need these foreign players to understand all aspects of the modern game.

Footballers as well as intelligent human beings.

Of course there are British players like this...but it's far more common abroad. The whole modern thos has to be understood to compete in this day and age.

This is why SoD came unstuck in so many ways...the players here at the time, just didn't get what he was trying to do.

The 'whole' player is being looked at. Will they fit in in with all aspects of the modern game? Hence the DNA philosophy.

That 'DNA' is vital for a football like BCFC. We can't afford 'Billy big bollox' type players and all the problems that brings.

Hence why a lot of bigger clubs are struggling. They have the 'infrastructure' just the wrong ethos.

Based in West Yorkshire, the team that appears to have a similar approach to us is Huddersfield. They've certainly tapped into the European market no doubt helped by their manager's history. They've got a young squad, owned by a local man who I believe is also a fan and play a fast attacking tempo.

I must admit not sure about their scouting of young players but they do have a Chelsea youngster on loan!

45 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have no idea how you have extrapolated so much from my post. I simply disagreed with your suggestion that it would all be forgotten and with your sympathetic description of him. 

Of course I would move for career progression and I don't blame him for that one bit. Would I decline to do my current job in the meantime? Absolutely not.

But in many other industries their is not the risk of career threatening injury.

city surely had no intention of playing him at Scunthorpe. even if he wanted to play. So I think LJ is misleading slightly in my view.

£10m biggest deal up in smoke. Mr lansdown would have been pleased.

Missed LJ on radio but obviously came across very well.

what worries me is that he hasn't achieved anything yet, but we are saying he is one of the top young managers. Why? Can anyone list his achievements in the game? Virtually bugger all so far.

dont get me wrong, I am delighted he is with us and he COULD be a future star but because of his self promotion and his ability to communicate and talk well, I just think there are too many people giving him credit which is undeserved at this stage.

granted things improved when he joined us last season but that was not all down to LJ. MA has made a bigger contribution to the club IMO.

i am not an LJ knocker, far from it but it is easier to talk a good game than produce a winning team.

as someone said earlier, if he is so good why can't he manage Tomlin sufficiently well to make him lose his undeniable flab? What a player he could be if remotely fit!

so, let's hope LJ is as good as his self publicist image.

30 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Missed LJ on radio but obviously came across very well.

what worries me is that he hasn't achieved anything yet, but we are saying he is one of the top young managers. Why? Can anyone list his achievements in the game? Virtually bugger all so far.

Kept Oldham up on a tiny budget, helped propel Barnsley side to promotion and JPT, kept us up and obviously building a vibrant, hungry side.

dont get me wrong, I am delighted he is with us and he COULD be a future star but because of his self promotion and his ability to communicate and talk well, I just think there are too many people giving him credit which is undeserved at this stage.

granted things improved when he joined us last season but that was not all down to LJ. MA has made a bigger contribution to the club IMO.

Based on what? Both sides are involved in transfer negotiations. We don't know who did what in negotiations.

i am not an LJ knocker, far from it but it is easier to talk a good game than produce a winning team.

as someone said earlier, if he is so good why can't he manage Tomlin sufficiently well to make him lose his undeniable flab? What a player he could be if remotely fit!

Tomlin is obviously fit, you can't *not* be fit if you're a premier league player. He'll never bomb and down the wing like Little or Bryan because his body isn't built to do that. Like JET before him. 

so, let's hope LJ is as good as his self publicist image.

The fact that a huge premier league side were apparently keen on him to work with their academy on a long contract says it all. 

6 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Exactly. Tomlins body is not built to bomb down the wing because he is overweight. Would like to know his BMI.

it wouldn't be that of a professional sportsman. Excluding darts!

No, it's because he isn't built to do that really. As one example, look at Mo Farah and Usain Bolt; two exceptional athletes in their respective disciplines but both look incredibly different. One is short, featherweight and thin whereas the other is languid, muscular and explosive.

That's a very basic slant on it but it shows my point that with human body types, some are better suited to different types of exercise. That's the same of the City squad. Aden Flint and Bobby Reid both have totally different body types and do different jobs - partly down to their body types determining their physical skill set.

With all the training in the world, Tomlin could never be *that* good at endurance work. He's just not made for it.

FWIW - BMI is basically useless, especially when discussing athletes. I guarantee that lots of the city squad would be 'overweight' on BMI because it doesn't consider muscular weight. All it calculates is a basic ratio of weight relative to height which is pretty irrelevant.

Archived