IGNORED

Lee Johnson on Radio Bristol

Silvio Dante

Kept Oldham up. Big deal. Was doing a good job at Barnsley but they were promoted after he left.

the fact he was offered an academy role at a  big Premiership club proves my point, with emphasis on the word,"Academy".

suddenly he is being mentioned  on the forum as a premier first team manager/head coach in the short term.

all I am saying is that such talk at this stage is ridiculous. I hope he makes it the big time because I like his style and what he has achieved here so far but at this stage the results and his actual achievements don't merit consideration for a top job.

he certainly knows how to self promote himself though.

results will be the ultimate judge and I hope he can continue to push us up the table.

3 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Kept Oldham up. Big deal. Was doing a good job at Barnsley but they were promoted after he left.

Keeping Oldham up was a huge achievement, their budget was tiny. He bought in most of the players and set the ethos that helped get Barnsley promoted and win the JPT. 

the fact he was offered an academy role at a  big Premiership club proves my point, with emphasis on the word,"Academy".

No it doesn't, it proves people from massive clubs recognise his ability.

suddenly he is being mentioned  on the forum as a premier first team manager/head coach in the short term.

I think most are seeing him as a 'potential' premier league boss. I agree with them, I think he will end up there one day and hopefully with us.

all I am saying is that such talk at this stage is ridiculous. I hope he makes it the big time because I like his style and what he has achieved here so far but at this stage the results and his actual achievements don't merit consideration for a top job.

Agreed, which is why he's at Bristol City and not Manchester United.

results will be the ultimate judge and I hope he can continue to push us up the table.

Yes, and so far all the indicators are they we are becoming a good side and will continue to improve.

If you are going to boo kodjia for not playing  then you should boo O'Dowda as well as didn't he pull a similar trick at Oxford, or are my facts wrong, as usual?

No you are correct about this, but knowing our fans - people will boo Kodjia and they'll be the same one who boo'd Andre Grey - which is a baffling mindset.

20 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/8-worlds-best-young-managers-under-40

Have a read with an open mind.

Keeping Oldham up, given the position they were in when he started and the budget, then bear in mind they almost made the playoffs as well that year. Playing it down as much as you can is pretty belittling.

Look abroad, a lot of the big continental clubs bring in highly rated coaches for the academy and then promoted them to the first team. A prime example, while not quite the same, is current Man City boss Pep Guardiola who started out coaching Barca "B" before being promoted following the departure of Rikjaard.

He was doing a good job at Barnsley, and won them their place at Wembley.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

apparently the "open mind" suggestion I said didn't sink in

So he says LJ shouldn't be seen as suitable for premier league clubs - which is a reasonable thing to say - yet Villas-Boas (who has managed Chelsea, Spurs, Porto and Zenit) is criticised for being mentioned on the same list? 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So he says LJ shouldn't be seen as suitable for premier league clubs - which is a reasonable thing to say - yet Villas-Boas (who has managed Chelsea, Spurs, Porto and Zenit) is criticised for being mentioned on the same list? 

its baffling.

The article is in essence 8 manager who they think will go on to big things, and while I didn't think AVB always did well, he clearly is a good manager, but at the same time some people on here would be moaning if we had appointed Julien Nagelsmann (the first in the list) because he is unproven, whereas I would be saying "he took a side that was in the relegation zone all season and almost certainties to go down, to safety despite them winning 2 games in the first half of the season"

(they were about 7 points- 8 with their goal difference deficit- from safety when he got the job)

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

its baffling.

The article is in essence 8 manager who they think will go on to big things, and while I didn't think AVB always did well, he clearly is a good manager, but at the same time some people on here would be moaning if we had appointed Julien Nagelsmann (the first in the list) because he is unproven, whereas I would be saying "he took a side that was in the relegation zone all season and almost certainties to go down, to safety despite them winning 2 games in the first half of the season"

(they were about 7 points- 8 with their goal difference deficit- from safety when he got the job)

AVB has some great principles and very interesting tactical ideas. It's an ideology that takes time but would be fascinating to see what he'd do if allowed 10 years at a club. I think he'd build a really interesting side.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

AVB has some great principles and very interesting tactical ideas. It's an ideology that takes time but would be fascinating to see what he'd do if allowed 10 years at a club. I think he'd build a really interesting side.

he was never going to get time at Chelsea, and once Spurs got a taste of Champions League they weren't going to buy into long term either.

A club like Southampton or perhaps Everton may give him time, but whether his idea match what Southampton are looking for I'm not sure

Archived