IGNORED

Best Brian Clough story ever....

spudski

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Apart from Hill , whose house this alledgedly took place in , and who denies the story and the fact that Gemmill was n't responsible for the finances of transfers .

We don't know , as in we were n't there but there are things that don't add up in Saunder's story .

Clough was dead drunk but firstly drove to Hill's house and then even though he was on his  knees had the piece of mind to get to Saunder's house before DS ! 

Nice going for a drunk .

No idea if Hill is telling the truth either.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Although Leicester's achievement is amazing, they did still spend considerably under foreign owners in order to achieve it.

Forest had won the league and were well on the way to their first European triumph before Clough spent much money at all.

No one will ever come remotely close to achieving this again, a better comparitor than Leicester would be if LJ won the Champions League with us in 2018-19..

I would slightly disagree, they pushed the boat out to buy Peter Shilton and recall that they, a newly promoted team to the top flight, were spending a fair bit more than City could do even though we had made it there a season earlier. Therefore, it didn't come as a great surprise when they became the first club to splash out a million quid on a player.

It was still impressive though and amongst the fairly expensive purchases there were quite a few journeymen and hasbeens whose careers he resurrected.

When I worked for Bell's Whisky in the 80's , I presented Brian Clough with several Manager of the Month awards.  Believe he held the record with over 15 Bell's MOM awards over his career. Always  asked me into his office before the kick off , he had a Gallon Optic of Bells fixed to the wall and we shared a couple of  large shots before the kick off. Before one night match v Liverpool I believe,it was 10 minutes to KO and I'd been with him in his office for at least  20 minutes talking football and life in general, so I said don't you want to talk to your team  before the KO ? he replied , "No need , I've got the best players and they know how to play football ".  We then walked out onto the pitch together and did the ceremony and he sat down to watch the game without a word to the players. Won the game as usual.Great philosophy that obviously worked for Forest . Magic guy.

Kenny Dalgleish won several MOM awards at Liverpool , which I presented ,but unlike Clough always asked for the Gallon of Bell's to be swopped for 6 bottles after the match as he was TT. Used to give them out to his staff as a thank you gift. Always well looked after at LFC but never allowed to meet Kenny until just before KO when the pitch presentation was made.

7 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

Met Brian Clough once when on holiday in Mallorca about 1982 at a BBQ .. He was sat at the bar, wasn't drunk, happy to talk, nice fellow, can't remember the conversation tho..

Probably best to make up a load of nonsense, take the piss out of a man fighting a horrible disease whilst paying no respect to his amazing success and get yourself on the after-dinner circuit mate!

3 minutes ago, Son Of Nob said:

Probably best to make up a load of nonsense, take the piss out a man fighting a horrible disease whilst paying no respect to his amazing success and get yourself on the after-dinner circuit mate!

Not sure where you are coming from ?? Simply said I met the great man at a BBQ on holiday.

I was thirty at the time i'm now retired and don't do after dinner speeches although I could list a long line of "well known" celebs I have been acquainted with through Business and Sport but Hey Ho so could lots of other nondescripts like me !!    

6 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

Not sure where you are coming from ?? Simply said I met the great man at a BBQ on holiday.

I was thirty at the time i'm now retired and don't do after dinner speeches although I could list a long line of "well known" celebs I have been acquainted with through Business and Sport but Hey Ho so could lots of other nondescripts like me !!    

Nothing against you!!!

My post was against Dean Saunders' clearly embellished story.

Apologies for any confusion! Your story was spot on and how he clearly should be remembered 

Can always remember new years eve1977;Forest out in front at top of div1,they visited the Gate.

The team and supporters travelled by train to Parson Street station.Cloughie and Peter Taylor led a procession of players and fans down Winterstoke Road to Ashton Gate.would Mourinho do that?

The man was an absolute genius in my eyes .I do not think his like will ever be seen again.

15 hours ago, RedDave said:

No idea if Saunders story is true or Guardian article is true.  Nor does anyone else on this thread.

Even if it was true , the ' story ' is grotesque and out of respect for a legend and for alcoholics who struggle with their illness he should drop it .

It's like the age when people visited Bedlam for the fun .

There are so many great stories about Clough when he was sober, so it seems crass to make "fun" of what happened during a tragic and sad time due his addiction to alcohol.

I imagine it must have been more than painful for those closest to Cloughie at the time, so it does them no favours to be reminded.

Far better to remember all the great things he did, achieved and said in better times. 

22 hours ago, harrys said:

Brian Clough was simply the greatest manager this country's ever seen, what he achieved with 2 run of the mill provincial teams is staggering, the greatest disgrace in English football was that he was denied the chance to lead his Country by the big-wigs at the F.A.

Also worth bearing in mind that he could well have gone on to be come one of the greatest goal scorers this country has seen, were his career not cut very short by injury.

On the manager front Alf Ramsey has to be up there having taken provincial Ipswich Town from division 2 to League Champions  and then winning the world cup with England - something no other English manager has managed. It's a given that Ramsey had none of Clough's charisma and personality ( you could argue that he had no charisma and personality! ) , but his achievements are still worth an honourable mention.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Also worth bearing in mind that he could well have gone on to be come one of the greatest goal scorers this country has seen, were his career not cut very short by injury.

On the manager front Alf Ramsey has to be up there having taken provincial Ipswich Town from division 2 to League Champions  and then winning the world cup with England - something no other English manager has managed. It's a given that Ramsey had none of Clough's charisma and personality ( you could argue that he had no charisma and personality! ) , but his achievements are still worth an honourable mention.

Also Ramsay took Ipswich up from 3rd division south in 50s

My opinion on this story very much depends on if Dean Saunders is telling the truth or not.

If he is telling the truth, he's an indiscreet **** who takes pleasure in publicly exposing someone with serious personal problems for amusement after witnessing them at their lowest ebb.

If he is lying, he's an unpleasant **** who takes pleasure in publicly spreading lies about someone with serious personal problems. 

On 7 September 2016 at 09:50, Stortz said:

Not only a little sad, but virtually entirely made up for Saunders to make money on the after dinner circuit

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

I bet Clough's family don't find it very funny either.

If, as it seems, Dean Saunders completely fabricated the bulk of this story, then he should be utterly ashamed of himself and donate any after dinner speech money that includes any reference to Brian Clough to the great work done by AA, or other such organisations that help people recover from the disastrous effects of Alcoholism. 

Dean Saunders, you are a disgrace! 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If, as it seems, Dean Saunders completely fabricated the bulk of this story, then he should be utterly ashamed of himself and donate any after dinner speech money that includes any reference to Brian Clough to the great work done by AA, or other such organisations that help people recover from the disastrous effects of Alcoholism. 

Dean Saunders, you are a disgrace! 

Agreed Dean Saunders is a disgrace whether he told the truth or not.  

All I'd ask is that if people want to donate to charities etc check whether they fit with your 'beliefs' (or lack of them).  AA I'm sure works for a lot of people, and good luck and well done to all those in the program.  Doesn't really work for those that don't believe in a higher power though. 

12 hours ago, RumRed said:

Agreed Dean Saunders is a disgrace whether he told the truth or not.  

All I'd ask is that if people want to donate to charities etc check whether they fit with your 'beliefs' (or lack of them).  AA I'm sure works for a lot of people, and good luck and well done to all those in the program.  Doesn't really work for those that don't believe in a higher power though. 

The higher power doesn't need to be religious though. It's anything that someone deems to be a higher power. I do get what you mean though. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Don't know how I got to watching this again this evening, but for anyone who hasn't seen it before...it's a cracker. Puts a smile on your face, but also leaves you feeling a bit sad. Worth a watch...

Thanks for posting, great watch, top manager.

Archived