IGNORED

Best Brian Clough story ever....

spudski

Clough was an eccentric , footballing genius who sadly just became eccentric after his battle with alcohol . 

I find the story actually a little sad . I remember seeing his ruddy face on telly after another Forest defeat  , the crowd baying for blood .

He looked so lost and hurt .The hero fallen , the legend floating away into the ether. 

He was certainly no saint but he was football's équivalent to Muhammed Ali , a great entertainer .

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Clough was an eccentric , footballing genius who sadly just became eccentric after his battle with alcohol . 

I find the story actually a little sad . I remember seeing his ruddy face on telly after another Forest defeat  , the crowd baying for blood .

He looked so lost and hurt .The hero fallen , the legend floating away into the ether. 

He was certainly no saint but he was football's équivalent to Muhammed Ali , a great entertainer .

Very nicely put Major and exactly my views on Brian Clough. 

His alcoholic demise was tragic and very very sad. 

My friend's Dad used to supply cars to Forest in the 70s. He always tells the story about the day he was invited to Cloughie's office, was offered a (hard) drink at 10 in the morning, then witnessed a player on the receiving end of an infamous Cloughie "dressing down" involving the words "what would your mother say...".  :-)

Watched 'I believe in miracles' the other day and it was a decent movie.

Imagine a mid table Championship side getting promoted and winning the league straight away and Champions league twice on the bounce nowadays. It could never happen again. The guy was an absolute genius, as long as Peter Taylor was alongside him!

Personal favourite goes like this....Cloughie arrives home late one cold winters night after watching a game; he jumps into bed alongside Barbara.

Barbara: 'God, your cold'

Cloughie: 'I've told you before Barbara, when we are at home you can call me Brian'

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Very nicely put Major and exactly my views on Brian Clough. 

His alcoholic demise was tragic and very very sad. 

I think while Saunders tells it wonderfully it is tinged with sadness that clearly by then (I think 1991/1992 time?) he was clearly battling hard with alcholism.

Fair to say there is, and only ever will be, one Brian Clough.

34 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

Imagine a mid table Championship side getting promoted and winning the league straight away and Champions league twice on the bounce nowadays. It could never happen again. The guy was an absolute genius, as long as Peter Taylor was alongside him!

I think what Leicester achived last season is as close as we'll ever get and in 20-30 years time maybe looked upon in similar light.

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think what Leicester achived last season is as close as we'll ever get and in 20-30 years time maybe looked upon in similar light.

I agree with the first bit that Leicesters' achievement is as close as we'll get but I can't see how it could be compared to what Forest did. If Leicester win the CL it would be. That's not to undermine Leicesters' achievement by the way, it's absolutely sensational in it's own right.

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not only a little sad, but virtually entirely made up for Saunders to make money on the after dinner circuit

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

I bet Clough's family don't find it very funny either.

17 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

I thought that was our plan with LJ :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Not only a little sad, but virtually entirely made up for Saunders to make money on the after dinner circuit

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/brian-clough-dean-saunders-nottingham-forest

I bet Clough's family don't find it very funny either.

The journalist Daniel Taylor "begins to think Saunders is a bit of a pillock" I think there are many in the game that share his opinion!

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Dean Saunders - terrible manager, brilliant after dinner speaker!

Not if he lies about a legend of the game and makes him out to be some sort of drunken freak .

I would n't have him as my after dinner speaker for free , unless he wanted to talk about and compare his managerial record with that of Mr Clough .

Brian Clough was simply the greatest manager this country's ever seen, what he achieved with 2 run of the mill provincial teams is staggering, the greatest disgrace in English football was that he was denied the chance to lead his Country by the big-wigs at the F.A.

Although Leicester's achievement is amazing, they did still spend considerably under foreign owners in order to achieve it.

Forest had won the league and were well on the way to their first European triumph before Clough spent much money at all.

No one will ever come remotely close to achieving this again, a better comparitor than Leicester would be if LJ won the Champions League with us in 2018-19..

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Although Leicester's achievement is amazing, they did still spend considerably under foreign owners in order to achieve it.

Forest had won the league and were well on the way to their first European triumph before Clough spent much money at all.

No one will ever come remotely close to achieving this again, a better comparitor than Leicester would be when LJ wins the Champions League with us in 2018-19..

Fixed that for you

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not if he lies about a legend of the game and makes him out to be some sort of drunken freak .

I would n't have him as my after dinner speaker for free , unless he wanted to talk about and compare his managerial record with that of Mr Clough .

My mistake - I hadn't read the whole thread and I wish I had now. Was just responding to the original post. If he has lied then I completely agree with you.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No idea if Saunders story is true or Guardian article is true.  Nor does anyone else on this thread.

Apart from Hill , whose house this alledgedly took place in , and who denies the story and the fact that Gemmill was n't responsible for the finances of transfers .

We don't know , as in we were n't there but there are things that don't add up in Saunder's story .

Clough was dead drunk but firstly drove to Hill's house and then even though he was on his  knees had the piece of mind to get to Saunder's house before DS ! 

Nice going for a drunk .

Archived