IGNORED

Now the hard work for Lee starts

coxyboy

By my reckoning we now have the following as a first team squad

o don, frank, little, Joe, goldbourne, flinty, Maggers, Eck, Taylor, Korey, Gazza, pack, freeman, O dowd, Josh, Bobby, Patts, Tammy, WIlbs, Tomlin, Engv

Thay is a really strong squad but if all fit 3 or 4 will not be in the 18. Hard decisions for Lee to make bu he will play on form not reputation. Got a good feeling 

Keeping such a large squad happy will be a tough task. Get one or two unhappy players and you can start to get morale issues.

Hopefully LJ has the people skills to placate any unhappy players. In any work place managerial honesty and candour are  useful qualities to have. Of all the managers I worked under in the NHS I remember just two who I truly respected. Why? Because they had the two skills mentioned above and were able to interact with people with ease and just a little charm...

As for selecting a starting 11 - I'm sure that most of us could select 7 or 8 that would match LJs. It's the other 3 or 4 places that will be the hardest to predict. It's up to those squad players to consistently preform well in training and impress the coaching staff and of course LJ.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Keeping such a large squad happy will be a tough task. Get one or two unhappy players and you can start to get morale issues.

Hopefully LJ has the people skills to placate any unhappy players. In any work place managerial honesty and candour are  useful qualities to have. Of all the managers I worked under in the NHS I remember just two who I truly respected. Why? Because they had the two skills mentioned above and were able to interact with people with ease and just a little charm...

As for selecting a starting 11 - I'm sure that most of us could select 7 or 8 that would match LJs. It's the other 3 or 4 places that will be the hardest to predict. It's up to those squad players to consistently preform well in training and impress the coaching staff and of course LJ.

Pretty sure our squad is now 'average sized' rather than large. It was woefully depleted before and now it's more like a normal squad 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Pretty sure our squad is now 'average sized' rather than large. It was woefully depleted before and now it's more like a normal squad 

Tbh...it doesn't matter how large any squad Is. The manager still has to keep the players happy but obviously the larger the squad is the more difficult that becomes. Especially now with no loan market available to bomb players out.

No loan market means that clubs now need larger squads and that's what been happening at City.

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Slightly off topic but I'm not sure 'Engv' works as a snappy abbreviation!

Could do the classic and just add a "y" to it.  Also that way if he gets in the team and someone else misses out, they'll be Engvyous of him..

Well other than ROD, Flint and Magnusson, I'd say no player is guaranteed a start. For example, Smith and O'Neil are probably our best centre midfield partnership with high energy but against some teams, Packs ability in the air and Bobbys passing may be better suited. LJ seems to pick the best team to win on any given day over playing the sameish team every week like Cotts. 

If the players all feel involved and that they are the best player in their role (not the same as position) then they should all regularly be involved and kept happy. The master of this was SAF where no two players were alike but were almost all involved often over a season.  

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The players left out need to be up for the fight. It will certainly show the character of the team and its good to have competition in the squad. We will def have quality on the bench and if we get  a few injuries that quality will be needed.

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

With so many players on new contracts and one year extensions the next couple of years might actually be very quite transfer wise...

I doubt it.

Some moved on for profit, others loaned out, some retiring, even some being bought out.  Plus squad needs more depth for serious challenge.

Archived