IGNORED

Lee Haskins

formerly known as ivan

I actually can't think of another fighter I would want to watch less than Haskins. Good at what he does but will never get the big world fights. For me I don't think he won that fight last night did nothing in the second half of the fight.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I actually can't think of another fighter I would want to watch less than Haskins. Good at what he does but will never get the big world fights. For me I don't think he won that fight last night did nothing in the second half of the fight.

Did you watch the Morales fight last time round? Haskins was much more impressive then. His fitness just let him down last night.

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Every time Hall came forward in later rounds Haskins picked him off. It's a dull to watch but he's masterful at it. May weather did it for years 

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

Every time Hall came forward in later rounds Haskins picked him off. It's a dull to watch but he's masterful at it. May weather did it for years 

Not quite sure he is masterful. He's an average boring boxer.

54 minutes ago, Super said:

Haskins won the first halfe of he fight clearly. Agreed he didn't do much second half of the fight...but neither did Hall. 

People get blinded when fighters come forward all the time and throw loads of shots. Haskins didn't throw half as many as Hall...but....punches landed were quite similar 

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Haskins won the first halfe of he fight clearly. Agreed he didn't do much second half of the fight...but neither did Hall. 

People get blinded when fighters come forward all the time and throw loads of shots. Haskins didn't throw half as many as Hall...but....punches landed were quite similar 

Maybe you are right it was hard to keep interested watching that garbage.

The first half of the fight was a typical Haskins fight, lots of feet and head movement and picking off Hall at ease. The second half of the fight was all Hall as Haskins seemed to tire and Lee spent 5 rounds on the back foot.

I think Lee expected to beat Hall within 8 rounds and so didn't have enough in the tank in the later rounds, Halls punches were affecting Lee and if the fight went any longer there would of only been one winner.

The fight was closer than scorecards suggest imo.

Lee is a very skillful boxer its just a shame he hasn't got any power.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

I disagree on the second half . I thought hall was catching him with the cleaner shots . And Haskins was struggling physically last few rounds. Fair enough he won the fight . Being champion hall needed to stop him . But the judges were way off. 

57 minutes ago, yardy said:

The first half of the fight was a typical Haskins fight, lots of feet and head movement and picking off Hall at ease. The second half of the fight was all Hall as Haskins seemed to tire and Lee spent 5 rounds on the back foot.

I think Lee expected to beat Hall within 8 rounds and so didn't have enough in the tank in the later rounds, Halls punches were affecting Lee and if the fight went any longer there would of only been one winner.

The fight was closer than scorecards suggest imo.

Lee is a very skillful boxer its just a shame he hasn't got any power.

Would be surprised if Lee was really expecting stopping him-not sure he's ever been stopped??

Don't mean to get all technical but if, like Haskins, you're keeping your guard low and you're not throwing the jab, you need to be really mobile, to land those pot shots then use your feet to move away from trouble. 

Lee's reactions slowed as the fight wore on, so he was eating the straight right too often and his feet and brain were less synchronised. 

He really could have jabbed his way through the latter stages but maybe he felt his lack of reach and diminishing snap meant he'd get beaten to to the punch. 

Instead he kept trying to hook and move, but Hall was closing the gap so Haskins was struggling to get out of range and got caught too often.

Haskins will be disappointed not to have schooled such a one dimensional opponent. My guess is training didn't go well.

37 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I disagree on the second half . I thought hall was catching him with the cleaner shots . And Haskins was struggling physically last few rounds. Fair enough he won the fight . Being champion hall needed to stop him . But the judges were way off. 

117-111 was shambolic I have to agree

Would be good to see him fight in Bristol , preferably at the gate !  Imagine a noisy backing for him. Better than an empty ice rink in Cardiff.    I get the fighting on the undercard of the brook fight .  Would be good to see him at the gate at half Time Saturday.  Boxers are often invited to grounds up and down the country. 

2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Would be good to see him fight in Bristol , preferably at the gate !  Imagine a noisy backing for him. Better than an empty ice rink in Cardiff.    I get the fighting on the undercard of the brook fight .  Would be good to see him at the gate at half Time Saturday.  Boxers are often invited to grounds up and down the country. 

We are a strange City. We have a world champion in our ranks...yet we don't seem to want to celebrate that 

Go to Sheffield,  Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc....their Champions are celebrated and the locals turbo out in their droves to support them. 

3 hours ago, kivsy said:

He would struggle to sell the apple tree out...let alone the gate..:boxing::boxing:

4 hours ago, kivsy said:

Well this is the problem; they don't have an adequate venue for championship boxing in Bristol, and frankly we won't until that bloody arena arrives which will be after Haskins has retired.

18 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

The whole show was garbage. The main event was a fight that should never have been signed.  Ridiculous.

Typical Eddie Hearn.....

Haha makes me laugh how much stick Hearn gets, boxing was dead until he starting making big fights happen!!

why shouldn't the fight have been signed? If brook and his team wants the fight and believe they can win that's not hearns problem. 

And by the way brook was bigger then GGG and the fight up until the 5th round was an excellent contest, maybe if brook hadn't broken his eye socket it would of been a bit closer. Thank god there's a promoter like Hearn who actually gets the fights people want to see made instead of spouting bullshit about money.

56 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Haha makes me laugh how much stick Hearn gets, boxing was dead until he starting making big fights happen!!

why shouldn't the fight have been signed? If brook and his team wants the fight and believe they can win that's not hearns problem. 

And by the way brook was bigger then GGG and the fight up until the 5th round was an excellent contest, maybe if brook hadn't broken his eye socket it would of been a bit closer. Thank god there's a promoter like Hearn who actually gets the fights people want to see made instead of spouting bullshit about money.

Exactly. I was really enjoying the fight. Was gutted the towel was waved but you could see brook wasn't happy at all and something wasn't right because he looked relatively comfortable. 

Let's hope amir Khan decides he would now like the brook fight with all the new publicity. Would love to see that one and my money is brook all day long.

11 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Haha the Apple Tree, I worked nearby for a couple of years and went in for a last drink when we got made redundant 

X 8 capacity like someone's front room 

I used to work near there too. I intended to stay for a while when I went but quickly established the place was 'not for me' so I necked my pint and left.

6 hours ago, SODS_LAW said:

I agree, he's done loads for British boxing. I didn't mean it as as harsh as it may have come across. He's a money man at the end of he day....that's what I meant 

Just watch the fight back. What made it an 'excellent' contest was the incredible atmosphere and the excited commentary. 

In reality....GGG was never in any real trouble and Brook was done by the end of round 3. Granted...his eye didn't help at all, but GGG power was taking its toll and Brook looked spent by round 4.

These fights shouldn't be made. Its damgerous. He is a 154 at best. All this bollocks about him being a 'natural middleweight' is just that....bollocks. If he was...why have 36 fights at welterweight?  He struggled and I honestly think, even without his broken eye socket....he would have been gone by the end of the round 

19 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I agree, he's done loads for British boxing. I didn't mean it as as harsh as it may have come across. He's a money man at the end of he day....that's what I meant 

Just watch the fight back. What made it an 'excellent' contest was the incredible atmosphere and the excited commentary. 

In reality....GGG was never in any real trouble and Brook was done by the end of round 3. Granted...his eye didn't help at all, but GGG power was taking its toll and Brook looked spent by round 4.

These fights shouldn't be made. Its damgerous. He is a 154 at best. All this bollocks about him being a 'natural middleweight' is just that....bollocks. If he was...why have 36 fights at welterweight?  He struggled and I honestly think, even without his broken eye socket....he would have been gone by the end of the round 

If it wasn't for Hearn boxing in this country would be on its knees,of course we would all love to go back to when the big fights were on terrestrial but it's a huge business now. It's easy to blame Hearn ( your not but a hell of a lot people do) but he makes the big fights happen,it's people like frank warren who are damaging boxing  

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

If it wasn't for Hearn boxing in this country would be on its knees,of course we would all love to go back to when the big fights were on terrestrial but it's a huge business now. It's easy to blame Hearn ( your not but a hell of a lot people do) but he makes the big fights happen,it's people like frank warren who are damaging boxing  

You are right...boxing is thriving in this.country and it's all down to him to be fair.

I just think it was a ridiculous fight that Brook never had a chance of winning. Wold be interesting to see him at 154

I can't see any welterweights wanting anything to do with him 

I used to train at Haskins gym in St Pauls. Really nice bloke and certainly pus the work in during training.

Suffered in his career due to sky/american networks not liking his style of boxing (saying it was boring, unorthodox etc) but has recently enjoyed a revival in his 'twilight years' due to appearing on and winning Prizefighter, along with the the British and IBF World titles.

To those who say he can't bang, I've seen him live on 4 occasions and two of those were knockouts, including over Japanese challenger Iwasa for the world title at Whitchurch.

As for the fight with Hall last week, agree it wasn't great/exciting as per his other fights, and if I'm honest (although inebriated at the time) I had Hall winning it with the cleaner work.

To answer the initial question: I always thought Haskins was Gas as he appears at the Mem quite reguarly and played for them in the charity game if I'm not mistaken. His manager and trainer, Chris/Jamie Sanigar are both big gasheads (I used to get bastings for wearing my City shirt at the gym). However, his recent comments would suggest otherwise, and talking to other amateurs who know him better, they say he's not that into footy anyways.

Archived