IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Thread (Merged)

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

its coming.. 

I'll save you the bother.

Sheffield is a city in South Yorkshire, inferior to York, Harrogate and Leeds who are unlike Sheffield not featured on every chan 5 documentary life on the dole etc 

Its famous for having two underachieving football teams and making cutlery FFS. The Owls a bird which is the symbolic creature of Leeds represents Wednesday, backwards isn't the word for that really a bit like sticking a blue bird on our shirts! Then there's obviously UTD a club that has police cells underneath it, a subway to navigate back to the train station and some of the most up their anus supporting fans in the country, oh and they like hitting women and scarfers, wow!

HOWEVER there are nice areas of Sheffield like most parts of every big city, they are just a bit tougher to find.

Having visited friends in Toxteth, Liverpool on Saturday I can honestly say it was like a tropical paradise compared to some parts of Sheffield.

I shall see the other 20 of you at the game as its a long way to go especially after. Saturday.

Regards

Yorkshire Sectioned.

• Like 4

I was suggesting that after a long and arduous journey for the 925 fans that shall attend tonight to witness a 1-2 win even though I hope for a 0-4 thumping you all visit a bar that is a purveyor of 50 rums called Revolucion de Cuba on Mappin Street. I am suspicious they will have anything beyond Havana Club, Ron Santiago or Club Varadero and that the rest will be the usual mass produced fayre but it might be worth a visit. A welcome rest after your travails up our delightful motorway network.

I had a few more inconsequential remarks in my thread that I cannot begin to re-gurgitate now after a glass and half of .. no not rum... but wine other than to say thank you to our marvellous fans for such tremendous support in what is a 360 miles round trip, more if you visit the bar in question of course or it will feel like it if you over indulge.

I do wish OTIB was a little more forgiving and functional than it is. I do really. That is all. Enjoy the game. 

• Like 4

Oh I made myself a cuppa tea and decided to give the rum story another bash.. actually a little more plagiarised i must confess given the lower energy levels. I thought rather interesting none the less..

Why was rum so popular at sea...

Fresh water that was stored over a long period of time would become stagnant, so often something would be added to make it more palatable (this includes beer, brandy, wine, etc.). Effectively, the fresh water supply would be a very watered-down alcoholic beverage. 

After the Royal Navy captured Jamaica in 1655 they had a good foothold on the rum market. Since brandy was mostly a French commodity, the Royal Navy switched their sailor's rations from brandy to rum. Also, the rum trade was a large part of the overall economy in that area and, therefore, pirates would have ready access to it.

Since sailors would regularly save up their rum rations and get drunk, the Navy began watering down the beverage as they had with earlier alcohols. By watering rum down it would take many more rations to become inebriated and the ration itself would spoil faster (thus preventing the stockpiling of liquor). Sailors received their ration of a half pint of rum mixed with a quart of water in two parts, before noon and at the end of the day.

This concoction became commonly known as grog. In the Royal Navy, some sort of citrus (such as lemon or lime juice) was added to the grog in order to mask the stagnant water. In time, this practice earned the Royal Navy the nickname of "limeys." The practice also helped prevent scurvy.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Sheffield is a city in South Yorkshire, inferior to York, Harrogate and Leeds who are unlike Sheffield not featured on every chan 5 documentary life on the dole etc 

Its famous for having two underachieving football teams and making cutlery FFS. The Owls a bird which is the symbolic creature of Leeds represents Wednesday, backwards isn't the word for that really a bit like sticking a blue bird on our shirts! Then there's obviously UTD a club that has police cells underneath it, a subway to navigate back to the train station and some of the most up their anus supporting fans in the country, oh and they like hitting women and scarfers, wow!

HOWEVER there are nice areas of Sheffield like most parts of every big city, they are just a bit tougher to find.

Having visited friends in Toxteth, Liverpool on Saturday I can honestly say it was like a tropical paradise compared to some parts of Sheffield.

I shall see the other 20 of you at the game as its a long way to go especially after. Saturday.

Regards

Yorkshire Sectioned.

One benefit of living in Yorkshire, we can get to these long distance away games. Why oh why are long distance games like this, Norwich, Leeds and Preston away mid week. There's enough teams local to Bristol for then to be mid week , and far away games to be on a weekend. Rant over!

2-2 tonight

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, daored said:

One benefit of living in Yorkshire, we can get to these long distance away games. Why oh why are long distance games like this, Norwich, Leeds and Preston away mid week. There's enough teams local to Bristol for then to be mid week , and far away games to be on a weekend. Rant over!

2-2 tonight

Plenty of great reasons to live in Yorkshire mate, it's stunning, not keen on south part but hey ho.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

From memory yes that is what I was wondering or was it another club?

They charged us stupid money yes, when you said our wrath I wasn't sure if you were referring to our 'boycott' of the game or our increased home prices for the return fixture.

Edited by Griffin
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I was suggesting that after a long and arduous journey for the 925 fans that shall attend tonight to witness a 1-2 win even though I hope for a 0-4 thumping you all visit a bar that is a purveyor of 50 rums called Revolucion de Cuba on Mappin Street. I am suspicious they will have anything beyond Havana Club, Ron Santiago or Club Varadero and that the rest will be the usual mass produced fayre but it might be worth a visit. A welcome rest after your travails up our delightful motorway network.

I had a few more inconsequential remarks in my thread that I cannot begin to re-gurgitate now after a glass and half of .. no not rum... but wine other than to say thank you to our marvellous fans for such tremendous support in what is a 360 miles round trip, more if you visit the bar in question of course or it will feel like it if you over indulge.

I do wish OTIB was a little more forgiving and functional than it is. I do really. That is all. Enjoy the game. 

Condensed Version

Sheffield:

Shithole with 2 shit teams and everyone on the dole (as per YorkshireSection)

I'm pissed up and pressed the wrong button (as per Havanatopia)

I thought Sheffield Wednesday was Bank Holiday (as per me)

City to win 1-0

• Like 2
1 hour ago, daored said:

2-2 tonight

I do believe I read that this is done by the EFL deliberately. Their logic being that these long trips result in the lowest away following, even on a Saturday. So by putting them mid-week you lose less money and inconvenience less supporters. If you had say 3k ready to go to Fulham that may drop to 800 if you make it mid-week. There is some logic there when you think about it I guess. Not good for those who will go regardless though.

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Regards

Yorkshire Sectioned.

You forgot - they used to have a very nice athletics stadium, but have now bulldozed it as it was making the city look too upmarket.