IGNORED

New 8 team T20 league

A Darkwood Red

"Our" team is rumoured to be destined to be based in Cardiff, apparently.

Utter horseshit, as everyone knows the cricket capital of the South West is of course Taunton, with by far the best supported side of the three, by far the best side of the three but as usual Welsh entryism will see their complete no hopers get the gig.

No interest whatsoever in a "Wales and The South West" side, personally.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Utter horseshit, as everyone knows the cricket capital of the South West is of course Taunton, with by far the best supported side of the three, by far the best side of the three but as usual Welsh entryism will see their complete no hopers get the gig.

Not interested in T20, full stop....so they can do what they ****** well like , I won't be watching !

Do keep up at the back...this is already on page 41 of the County Cricket thread on "non football chat".

Posted Monday at 18:55 ·

Northants have won the T20 three times in four years. Announced on our local news tonight that as the ECB is losing money, a new T20 format is under consideration.

Bye bye the small counties., the new format will be just eight franchises based at the eight most heavily attended venues.

1 minute ago, 22A said:

Do keep up at the back...this is already on page 41 of the County Cricket thread on "non football chat".

Posted Monday at 18:55 ·

Northants have won the T20 three times in four years. Announced on our local news tonight that as the ECB is losing money, a new T20 format is under consideration.

Bye bye the small counties., the new format will be just eight franchises based at the eight most heavily attended venues.

Not most heavily attended, Taunton's crowds piss all over Cardiff's but it will be at Test venues only..

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Not interested in T20, full stop....so they can do what they ****** well like , I won't be watching !

There's only one Mike Procter and by f... he didn't play for them.

They may of had those couple of years with those great West Indians but to see Zaheer Abbas and Procter with his run up to bowl from the boundry, well that was a sight to behold.

4 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

If it's based in Cardiff then it's a Welsh thing. Glos and Somerset fans will have no interest in it at all, not that the ecb care.

Yeah no point even pretending with a 'Wales and West' name. If Cardiff is the choice in a completely different country then they wont be getting any fans from the more successful counties this side.

Just had a cheque how it will work and the 10 countries not in the new city 8 team tournament will still play t20 against each other on a Friday night,

The 8 teams are a joke as Glamorgan is in so  they have a welsh side and Durham get in as they are basically owned by the ecb and want there money back even though they get tiny crowds,

As a Somerset member I am glad we are not in it

• Admin
10 hours ago, stogursey red said:

Just had a cheque how it will work and the 10 countries not in the new city 8 team tournament will still play t20 against each other on a Friday night,

The 8 teams are a joke as Glamorgan is in so  they have a welsh side and Durham get in as they are basically owned by the ecb and want there money back even though they get tiny crowds,

As a Somerset member I am glad we are not in it

That's not correct @stogursey red the tournament is running seperate to the T20 competition which will still have all the County side within it

Not sure why the BBC haven't corrected their reporting as Somerset voted no !

• Admin

The intention, I think, is a proper draft/auction like the ones run by other T20 competitions around the globe, so there will be no local bias and the franchise playing at Old Trafford for example will take its players from all over the country, depending on bids, prices and requirements to balance the squad. 

There will also probably be players drafted who are not attached to any county, such as Pietersen and Owais Shah and there is the odd English-born cricketer playing overseas who would be eligible and would not count as an overseas signing, such as Queensland's Charlie Hemphrey. 

According to The Times this morning , each of the eight teams will have a 'lead' venue but may also play the odd game elsewhere.

The eight are given as Lord’s, The Kia Oval (both London), Headingley (Leeds), Emirates Old Trafford (Manchester), Edgbaston (Birmingham), Trent Bridge (Nottingham), the SWALEC Stadium (Cardiff) and the Ageas Bowl (Southampton). 

It then says "But grounds such as Taunton and Bristol could also host fixtures, and one of the London sides may trial the Olympic Stadium."

I guess the side billeted at Headingley might play a fixture at Durham and the use of a drop-in pitch at the Olympic Satadium creates a geographical Essex connection, in which case the number of counties involved is swollen from eight to 12.

That leaves six others, of whom Worcs, Leics, Northants and Derbys are all within relatively easy reach of Trent Bridge or Edgbaston.

Then there's the south-eastern trio of refuseniks. Surrey have their own unique objection (they make squillions more than anyone else out of the existing T20 Blast). As for Kent and Sussex , much of those two counties have easy and swift access to the London grounds. It is perhaps unfortunate, though, that both clubs have located their HQ at the extremities of their geographical areas rather than in the middle. 

BTW, The Times coverage is excellent this morning with three different articles exploring every aspect of this , two by Atherton and one by Hobson. Much better than the cricinfo coverage which is more polemic than reportage!

On 9/14/2016 at 19:42, GrahamC said:

Lumping us in with the Welsh is a ****ing disgrace.  

It's a right mess the idea.  They're not looking at this the right way.  They should have been looking beyond what is a test venue and accounting for all parts of the country.  For example, Sussex + Hampshire +Kent = the South coast.  Nottinghamshire + Derbyshire + Leicestershire + Northants = East Midlands.   Somerset + Glos =West Country. Identifiable regions with the main grounds in main cities, but with the potential to use other venues.  Add Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and London and you're there.  

Personally I think a West Country team based mostly in Bristol would work for several reasons. Somerset have good crowds at Taunton.  However, the ground is small and the crowd at the Glos v Somerset T20 game this year showed that there is a very strong Somerset support closer to Bristol than Taunton.  Combine that with Glos support and newbies and you have the potential for decent crowds in Bristol.  Share the games between the 2 venues with the right pricing and you can have decent  crowds at 2 of the more atmospheric venues in the country (Cardiff is a s*** cricket ground).  

As Graham alludes to, it's yet another example of Welsh favouritism over this part of the country and is a complete insult.  I really hope SL is asked about this in earshot of a microphone at some point soon.  The donuts in the ECB need people like him to make this kind of thing work. By not going for the franchise thing they are ensuring it will fail.  

• Admin
12 hours ago, The Bard said:

this year showed that there is a very strong Somerset support closer to Bristol than Taunton.

No offence @The Bard but that statement is nonsense

We had more fans at Edgbaston for the semi Vs Warwickshire, not because we are nearer Birmingham but because Somerset have a decent following wherever we play.

The key to all this is the members at the clubs are yet to have their say in the matter, when the clubs go out to their members over the next couple of days this could all still fall down flat

56 minutes ago, phantom said:

No offence @The Bard but that statement is nonsense

We had more fans at Edgbaston for the semi Vs Warwickshire, not because we are nearer Birmingham but because Somerset have a decent following wherever we play.

The key to all this is the members at the clubs are yet to have their say in the matter, when the clubs go out to their members over the next couple of days this could all still fall down flat

So when I took my son to the T 20 game with his cricket team mates and their dad's, how come we were split 50/50 Glos & Somerset? We all live in Bristol but the Somerset dad's only ever watch their side in Bristol.  

A West country / Bristol team would tap into this. It is specifically aimed at families.

5 hours ago, The Bard said:

So when I took my son to the T 20 game with his cricket team mates and their dad's, how come we were split 50/50 Glos & Somerset? We all live in Bristol but the Somerset dad's only ever watch their side in Bristol.  

A West country / Bristol team would tap into this. It is specifically aimed at families.

So a sample size of all of 10-20? Sounds a good testament to the Somerset fan base. Really it should be a West Country side, hell you could even name it 'West Country (insert some add on name)' the ladies is Western Storm so why not the guys team as well? Makes both Gloucestershire and Somerset fans feel included in the side and if games are shared between the grounds then both sets of fans get to watch games regularly still as well, if the guys in charge decided having the 'bigger' games at Bristol is what they needed to do due to capacity then so be it but sharing the games still keeps everyone involved.  

They're aiming for 8 sides?

1) Somerset & Gloucestershire (60 mins between grounds) Largest ground 17,500 - Smallest 8500 (Add Glamorgan 90 mins Taunton to Cardiff)

2) Surrey & Middlesex  (Under 60 mins from one ground to another) Oval capacity - 24,500

3) Hampshire & Sussex (90 mins between grounds) - Largest capacity - 15,000, Smallest 7000

4) Kent & Essex (90 mins between grounds) - Largest capacity - 7000, Smallest - 6000

5) Lancashire, Yorkshire & Durham  (2hrs 20 Old Trafford - Chester Le Street) Largest ground - 26,000, Smallest 15,000 (Headingly 17.500)

6) Warwickshire, Northamptonshire & Worcestershire  (97 mins Worcestershire to Northamptonshire) Largest capacity - 25,000, Smallest - 4500 (Northamptonshire 6500)

7) Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire & Derbyshire (42 mins longest trip ground to ground) - Largest 17,500, Smallest - 9500 (Leicestershire 12,000)

8) Glamorgan ...... **** Glamorgan.... Capacity - 15,600 (or add Worcestershire, 90 min drive, makes Warwickshire and Northants a side)

Just jotted down counties based on location and travel time, the only one sticking out would be the Northern side however it will be hard to have them match with other counties and if you're sharing grounds then they all get a share anyway. Generally you're looking at 90 mins max drive between grounds and apart from Essex and Kent each team would have a ground with a capacity at least 15,000 and Bristol is bigger than Glamorgan anyway. 

As I've said before on this - you can change whatever you want, but until we get the same weather as Australia, India, SA, WI et al then it matters not

Games will finish at 10pm, in the cold and finals weekend will be played on a shitty, wet, dull September day

**** that

You can take your T20 and shove it up your arse, as others have said, not interested. And being the only Worcestershire representative on here (I think!), I cannot wait to be swallowed up by Warwickshire / Birmingham / West Midland Bears

Ugh

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

As I've said before on this - you can change whatever you want, but until we get the same weather as Australia, India, SA, WI et al then it matters not

Games will finish at 10pm, in the cold and finals weekend will be played on a shitty, wet, dull September day

**** that

You can take your T20 and shove it up your arse, as others have said, not interested. And being the only Worcestershire representative on here (I think!), I cannot wait to be swallowed up by Warwickshire / Birmingham / West Midland Bears

Ugh

You may well be.

The long game is, of course, the staple of First Class Cricket, but the short form game does have its merits nevertheless.

I recall a magnificent one-day game at New Road in the B&H cup back in 1992; a beautiful Spring day when, despite a near century from our young opener, Mark Lathwell, anybody remember him?, your openers (I can't remember their names, although I do seem to recall a brief cameo from a certain Graham Hick!) threatened to take the game away from us.

We won in the last over as I recall, but it was touch and go until your last wicket fell.

Don't knock the one-day game.

20/20 is but a brief, albeit sometimes exciting, slog, but the one-day format is a wonderful day's entertainment. 

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You may well be.

The long game is, of course, the staple of First Class Cricket, but the short form game does have its merits nevertheless.

I recall a magnificent one-day game at New Road in the B&H cup back in 1992; a beautiful Spring day when, despite a near century from our young opener, Mark Lathwell, anybody remember him?, your openers (I can't remember their names, although I do seem to recall a brief cameo from a certain Graham Hick!) threatened to take the game away from us.

We won in the last over as I recall, but it was touch and go until your last wicket fell.

Don't knock the one-day game.

20/20 is but a brief, albeit sometimes exciting, slog, but the one-day format is a wonderful day's entertainment. 

Not a problem with the 50 over game, Phil - it's T20 that I'm not a fan of. Can be exciting to watch, but give me a 200 ball century with the full force of the 80s WI attack, or the Aussie attack from the 90s steaming / spinning in at you. A real technique to that

As much as I can admire the trickshots of the 20 over format, it's just not for me

Many happy memories of that great Worcester team of the late 80s / early 90s and their 50 over Cup runs

I do remember Lathwell, had at least one game for England I seem to remember? 

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 16:47, hodge said:

They're aiming for 8 sides?

1) Somerset & Gloucestershire (60 mins between grounds) Largest ground 17,500 - Smallest 8500 (Add Glamorgan 90 mins Taunton to Cardiff)

2) Surrey & Middlesex  (Under 60 mins from one ground to another) Oval capacity - 24,500

3) Hampshire & Sussex (90 mins between grounds) - Largest capacity - 15,000, Smallest 7000

4) Kent & Essex (90 mins between grounds) - Largest capacity - 7000, Smallest - 6000

5) Lancashire, Yorkshire & Durham  (2hrs 20 Old Trafford - Chester Le Street) Largest ground - 26,000, Smallest 15,000 (Headingly 17.500)

6) Warwickshire, Northamptonshire & Worcestershire  (97 mins Worcestershire to Northamptonshire) Largest capacity - 25,000, Smallest - 4500 (Northamptonshire 6500)

7) Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire & Derbyshire (42 mins longest trip ground to ground) - Largest 17,500, Smallest - 9500 (Leicestershire 12,000)

8) Glamorgan ...... **** Glamorgan.... Capacity - 15,600 (or add Worcestershire, 90 min drive, makes Warwickshire and Northants a side)

Just jotted down counties based on location and travel time, the only one sticking out would be the Northern side however it will be hard to have them match with other counties and if you're sharing grounds then they all get a share anyway. Generally you're looking at 90 mins max drive between grounds and apart from Essex and Kent each team would have a ground with a capacity at least 15,000 and Bristol is bigger than Glamorgan anyway. 

There simply won't be a Northern team.  There will be teams in Leeds and Manchester.  I think it will start like this:-

Leeds

Manchester

South London (Oval)

North London (Lords)

South Coast (ie Southampton)

Birmingham

Nottingham

Cardiff

That means the west country will be left out and they will lump us in with the Welsh.   If it's run like the IPL (ie it has to make money), the Welsh side will fail financially and a side will end up in Bristol which will be a success.  We like cricket, the Welsh don't.

9 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Not a problem with the 50 over game, Phil - it's T20 that I'm not a fan of. Can be exciting to watch, but give me a 200 ball century with the full force of the 80s WI attack, or the Aussie attack from the 90s steaming / spinning in at you. A real technique to that

As much as I can admire the trickshots of the 20 over format, it's just not for me

Many happy memories of that great Worcester team of the late 80s / early 90s and their 50 over Cup runs

I do remember Lathwell, had at least one game for England I seem to remember? 

Bideford boy, went to the same school as Shaun Taylor (I think)

• Admin

The ECB has also named the eight venues that will host its new city-based Twenty20 competition, which it believes can make the sport "relevant to a whole new audience".

The as-yet unnamed tournament will run for an initial five years from 2020 and be played alongside the existing T20 Blast.

The eight venues announced on Wednesday will all have new teams created around them with two in London.

"We are hugely excited by the prospect of hosting one of the teams in the new Twenty20 competition which starts in 2020," said Ageas Bowl chief executive officer David Mann.

"It is set to transform domestic cricket in England and Wales, and we also relish the opportunity to present regular international and first-class cricket options to all our communities across the South of England."

How will the competition work?

• Eight new teams playing 36 games over a 38-day summer window with four home games per team
  • All games televised, with significant free-to-air exposure
  • No scheduling overlap with the existing T20 Blast competition
  • An Indian Premier League-style play-off system to give more incentive for finishing higher up the league
  • A players' draft, with squads of 15 including three overseas players
  • Counties guaranteed at least £1.3m each per year

Archived