IGNORED

What's going on with the criticism?

Charlie BCFC

In the international break we had so many good posts saying positive things about players e.g O'Donnell may be the best goalkeeper in the league, Flint and Tomlins premier league quality just to name a few. Now after the Sheffield Wednesday game we have negative comments saying that Flint is a liability, O'Donnell's terrible and should be dropped, Tomlin's not scored enough goals so far. Can we please give our players some respect that they need to push on in the league I know it can be frustrating when we lose but can everyone please calm ourselves down. Now let's cheer on the City and give our boys some massive support for Saturday COYR :chant6ez:

1 minute ago, Flint says No said:

In the international break we had so many good posts saying positive things about players e.g O'Donnell may be the best goalkeeper in the league, Flint and Tomlins premier league quality just to name a few. Now after the Sheffield Wednesday game we have negative comments saying that Flint is a liability, O'Donnell's terrible and should be dropped, Tomlin's not scored enough goals so far. Can we please give our players some respect that they need to push on in the league I know it can be frustrating when we lose but can everyone please calm ourselves down. Now let's cheer on the City and give our boys some massive support for Saturday COYR :chant6ez:

no no no

I believe the truth is quiet optimism which is no surprise with the squad we have.

Truth is within the last 200 people who have said I would take top half, 8th to 12th etc  there is 100+ who are talking crap and like me believe we can finish in the top 6 but feel they will be shot down for admitting it !!

Defeats then hurt because the head starts over-ruling the heart even more and people react with frustration on here instead of going to bed and sleeping on it !!

Top 6 for me - a few dropped points this early is fine. Lose to derby though and I will go bat-shit :cool::yawn:

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

I believe the truth is quiet optimism which is no surprise with the squad we have.

Truth is within the last 200 people who have said I would take top half, 8th to 12th etc  there is 100+ who are talking crap and like me believe we can finish in the top 6 but feel they will be shot down for admitting it !!

Defeats then hurt because the head starts over-ruling the heart even more and people react with frustration on here instead of going to bed and sleeping on it !!

Top 6 for me - a few dropped points this early is fine. Lose to derby though and I will go bat-shit :cool::yawn:

I feel we can make top 6. But I don't think we will

Interesting to see the only reaction to last game which counts - Lee's team selection Saturday

Will tell us whom he thinks isn't up to it, not in terms perhaps of talent but temperament.

I suggest Tomlin will play and remain penalty taker. 100% agree.

Think he'll start O'Donnell. On balance and reflection think this would be best

Believe Flint on the bench if Ekstrand fit.  Really hope so.  If Ekstrand can't be risked will really send out message if Moore is selected to play

Trust Brownhill will play whatever.

2 hours ago, Flint says No said:

See I don't see what you see, yes the odd over the top comment, all that I see is mainly healthy debate and the usual 'well Wednesday are one of the better teams in this league' type comment, in fact I would say that LJ has made the angriest response over the past 2 games, surely if he is not happy then we can share that unhappiness?.

We have a lot of people who more or less vanished when LJ took over - they more or less wrote him off day one. Then we finish the season well so they have nothing to complain about. Summer transfer activity is pretty good, so they still keep their heads down. We start the season with a really tough opener against the teams that will be gaining promotion (or at least challenging) and surprise, we hold our own... still nothing to complain about.

Then we have a bad game against Rotherham, heads lift, twitter announcements sent - this could be it, get your phones and keyboards ready... sadly we go 2-0 up against Wed's, heads go back down, phones in pockets, twitter is silent.... GO GO GO, whats happneing ? We missed a penalty - quick slate Tomlin, down to 10 men slate O'Neil, good god 3-2 TO the forums Guys, here's our chance...........

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

See I don't see what you see, yes the odd over the top comment, all that I see is mainly healthy debate and the usual 'well Wednesday are one of the better teams in this league' type comment, in fact I would say that LJ has made the angriest response over the past 2 games, surely if he is not happy then we can share that unhappiness?.

Have you been on the forum last couple of days?

13 hours ago, Flint says No said:

simple answer. people don't like losing, players making mistakes (Flint, O'Neil, O'Donnel) deserve a bit, Tomlin's has been out of order for the pen, but deserves a bit for under performing and his discipline,

Players commitment and effort on the other hand deserves to be commended, They are playing for the manager and the shirt which is good to see, 

So if you want to take a small positive out of it then we are losing because of un forced errors not because of poor performances

LJ said something interesting in his interview when he said he'd spoken with certain players - the ones he was unhappy with and he'd realised that they'd become happy with a draw at Sheffield and that attitude effected their play whereas LJ had thought they were "hiding".

He said he wants them to play more front foot football for the entire game rather than sit back trying to draw the game. That'll involve attitude changes not just from his players but from LJ himself who brought on a defender and replaced an attacker at Wednesday.

What kind of psychological message does that kind of substitution send out to the team?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said something interesting in his interview when he said he'd spoken with certain players - the ones he was unhappy with and he'd realised that they'd become happy with a draw at Sheffield and that attitude effected their play whereas LJ had thought they were "hiding".

He said he wants them to play more front foot football for the entire game rather than sit back trying to draw the game. That'll involve attitude changes not just from his players but from LJ himself who brought on a defender and replaced an attacker.

What kind of psychological message does that kind of substitution send out to the team?

Who did he replace with that sub? Maybe that was the problem player? 

13 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Interesting to see the only reaction to last game which counts - Lee's team selection Saturday

Will tell us whom he thinks isn't up to it, not in terms perhaps of talent but temperament.

I suggest Tomlin will play and remain penalty taker. 100% agree.

Think he'll start O'Donnell. On balance and reflection think this would be best

Believe Flint on the bench if Ekstrand fit.  Really hope so.  If Ekstrand can't be risked will really send out message if Moore is selected to play

Trust Brownhill will play whatever.

It's understandable if fans criticise Flint for the last couple of games. Although he's not played badly overall he has been notably involved in several goals conceded, and is an obvious target for blame for disappointed supporters, especially those who only see the 'highlights'

However, to suggest he may be one who 'crumbled' or hid away, that his temperament or determination is somehow suspect, is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen on this forum.

Things certainly didn't go his way against Rotherham and Wednesday, but there's absolutely no doubt that Flint will always give 100% for the duration, and will never shirk from being at the heart of the action.

I find it baffling any supporter who has watched Flint for the last couple of years could possibly question his attitude - his character is not in question and to intimate otherwise is frankly laughable.

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He said he wants them to play more front foot football for the entire game rather than sit back trying to draw the game. That'll involve attitude changes not just from his players but from LJ himself who brought on a defender and replaced an attacker at Wednesday.

Not necessarily, he pushed Bryan upfield with that move - Golbourne is the only left back we have so was necessary for him to come on. 

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ had 3 subs to use after Wednesday had used all theirs.

He had 3 opportunities to send a player on to spread his message that the team shouldn't be happy with a draw if he felt that was the attitude he was witnessing, or for individuals to get more involved if he felt they were 'hiding'.

It doesn't add up I'm afraid, indeed why send on a defender for Tomlin if you want to stay on the front foot?

Surely you send on Korey (as he was deemed fit enough to come on 8 minutes later anyway) as a like for like replacement for O'Neil, and tell Korey, as your chosen captain, exactly what instructions you want him to pass on to the rest of the team as regards how City play for the rest of the match.

Either way, if the team were not performing as he wished he had ample time and substitution opportunities to rectify matters.

Some optimism, to be taken with a huge piece of salt, can be found here:

https://experimental361.com/2016/09/15/scatter-graphics-championship-15-sep-2016/

Not only are we much better than last year, if you look at the final chart we're one of the best 3 sides in the division.

Obviously the tricky bit is turning "expected goals" into actual goals, and some sides will do far better than their stats suggest whilst other do worse. The underlying impression though is that we're on the right track, doing the right things. Keep it up, don't lose heart, and things will turn out OK. Maybe not promotion OK this season but definite progress on last season.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ had 3 subs to use after Wednesday had used all theirs.

He had 3 opportunities to send a player on to spread his message that the team shouldn't be happy with a draw if he felt that was the attitude he was witnessing, or for individuals to get more involved if he felt they were 'hiding'.

It doesn't add up I'm afraid, indeed why send on a defender for Tomlin if you want to stay on the front foot?

Surely you send on Korey (as he was deemed fit enough to come on 8 minutes later anyway) as a like for like replacement for O'Neil, and tell Korey, as your chosen captain, exactly what instructions you want him to pass on to the rest of the team as regards how City play for the rest of the match.

Either way, if the team were not performing as he wished he had ample time and substitution opportunities to rectify matters.

Spot on. Good points and well made Nogbad.

I guess we have to remember that LJ is still relatively inexperienced in managerial terms and sometimes what he says post match contradicts what he actually did during the game. Tuesday night is a perfect example of that. That said take nothing away from his candour and honesty post match. I really like the respect he shows us supporters with his nonsense and frank post match interviews.

His first post match interview at Hillsborough he was steaming and said certain things that later he admitted he'd misunderstood the way his side had performed and was honest enough to say that after he'd calmed down and spoken with the players that he'd realised that.

Fair play LJ.......but I do wonder if he apologised to his players.......:dunno:

48 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's understandable if fans criticise Flint for the last couple of games. Although he's not played badly overall he has been notably involved in several goals conceded, and is an obvious target for blame for disappointed supporters, especially those who only see the 'highlights'

However, to suggest he may be one who 'crumbled' or hid away, that his temperament or determination is somehow suspect, is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen on this forum.

Things certainly didn't go his way against Rotherham and Wednesday, but there's absolutely no doubt that Flint will always give 100% for the duration, and will never shirk from being at the heart of the action.

I find it baffling any supporter who has watched Flint for the last couple of years could possibly question his attitude - his character is not in question and to intimate otherwise is frankly laughable.

Note the comment made by Lee that some players had accepted a draw.  If not lack of talent, wrong temperament in sense of not trying, then wrong temperament/judgement in accepting a draw.

As I said all will be revealed tomorrow.  Possibly no changes at all if some have been given a rocket. Still think Ekstrand is more likely than not to be our number 5 by end of season, with eventually Moore as back up.

As ever a matter of opinions although the only one that counts is Lee's and the coaching staff

COYR.  A big bounce back tomorrow

I can understand why one or two on here are a bit cautious, the next few games will determine whether we'll be looking upwards or nervously backwards. We won the first two games, since then have picked up 4 points from 5 games. If we win the next couple then all will be fine but if we lose to Derby and Fulham then we'll be firmly in the relegation scrap again, a bit like the McInnes season when we won the first 2 and everyone was optimistic before everything went pear-shaped. I'm sure that won't happen again since we've got a much better squad this time but we've seen in the last couple of games how a couple of regulars having an off-day is enough to cost us the points.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Spot on. Good points and well made Nogbad.

I guess we have to remember that LJ is still relatively inexperienced in managerial terms and sometimes what he says post match contradicts what he actually did during the game. Tuesday night is a perfect example of that. That said take nothing away from his candour and honesty post match. I really like the respect he shows us supporters with his nonsense and frank post match interviews.

His first post match interview at Hillsborough he was steaming and said certain things that later he admitted he'd misunderstood the way his side had performed and was honest enough to say that after he'd calmed down and spoken with the players that he'd realised that.

Fair play LJ.......but I do wonder if he apologised to his players.......:dunno:

In the long run I imagine they'll all see they made mistakes (inc. LJ), move on and become stronger.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

to be fair robbo, our midfielder in charge of protecting the back 4 had just been sent off, we were being over run which is why that sub was made, we were also winning when Tomlin went off, 

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

to be fair robbo, our midfielder in charge of protecting the back 4 had just been sent off, we were being over run which is why that sub was made, we were also winning when Tomlin went off, 

Wednesday were down to 10 as well but the point I was making earlier was what kind of psychological message does bringing on a defender and subbing an attacker send out?

To me that says "time to shut up shop" 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wednesday were down to 10 as well but the point I was making earlier was what kind of psychological message does bringing on a defender and subbing an attacker send out?

To me that says "time to shut up shop" 

it's sends the message that, this is a tight game hold on to the lead, it was when o'donnel dropped his clanger the problems started to happen,

Nether of us were at the game however so we can only speculate, but one things for sure, if he brought on an attacker for o'neil and we lost 3-2 we be having the discussion about us NOT shutting up shop,

We were away from home against a good Wednesday side and lost :(

Archived