IGNORED

Kodjia gives his reasons for leaving

Robin Ashton

I don't really have an issue with this interview.

Firstly, Kodjia isn't exactly a local lad with a passion for the club.  I didn't begrudge his lack of loyalty to Angers when he left them after a year 'cos we offered him a better career progression so why the hell should we begrudge him doing the same to us?

Secondly, Villa are without question a bigger club than us with a better stadium, better facilities, a more successful history and - whilst nothing is guaranteed -  most neutrals would say a better chance of long-term success.

It really irks me when football fans claim everything comes down to wages.  Yes, Kodjia will be getting more cash there but he's also gone to a club that he and his agent believe will be better for his career.  They paid the amount we wanted.  We accepted it.  End of.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm furious a player contracted to us refused to play a game for us.  That's utterly, utterly unacceptable.  But a player moving to Aston Villa and claiming they're a bigger club than us?  Of course they bloody are.  But I'm not despondent about that - as we saw last week, David sometimes beats Goliath...

36 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yeah, I've dropped my iPhone down the shitter before as well.

Rice didn't work though :sad26:

As for Kodjia, he has gone to a much bigger club with a bigger fanbase. Whether they're 'better' this season remains to be seen but I don't think it will be long before they're back in the Prem. We've heard players say similar things about City after signing for us. It's just what footballers do. As Spudski says, I think some of what he said has been lost in translation as well...

"City is the past for me" is the same as saying "I've got a new club to concentrate on scoring goals for now"

This is about it.  And thanks to monumental parachute payments they're pretty much nailed on to stay bigger.  Else it could be different.

35 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Here’s one that I knocked up in a few minutes.

I would like to thank Bristol City for giving me that opportunity to play in the English leagues, I would like to thank the fans who have been great to me.

This was too much of a great opportunity to miss, I hope everybody can understand that.

You off 'n all ? 

Not big enough for you now eh ? 

Mr High and Bloody mighty .

(Also ,  you nicked the first Line from Rudolph )

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What did he say that was so bad? Nothing too controversial there. We know his English isn't perfect anyway.

He didn't need to say anything , we gave him his chance over here , there weren't too many clubs scrabbling over his signature when we took a chance , I think he should remember that . 

JK's time at city will quickly be forgotten; he was only here for one season, and used us as a mere stepping stone into the fortunes of the English game.

I had strongly hoped he would've stayed for a few years, bagged over 80 goals and became a City legend.  And to think I was perilously close to buying a shirt with his name on the back...

3 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Here’s one that I knocked up in a few minutes.

I would like to thank Bristol City for giving me that opportunity to play in the English leagues, I would like to thank the fans who have been great to me.

This was too much of a great opportunity to miss, I hope everybody can understand that.

Didnt know you were leaving EMB?

Are you going to a bigger club or just for more money?

P.S. just read the Majors post -  must read whole thread before posting!

2 hours ago, wheatus59 said:

He didn't need to say anything , we gave him his chance over here , there weren't too many clubs scrabbling over his signature when we took a chance , I think he should remember that . 

Well he did if he was asked a question. I find that 'thankful we gave him a chance' idea a bit odd, I've barely ever seen players say that before. His English is poor, it almost certainly got lost in translation a bit. 

There were a few clubs interested in him actually, but fortunately it was us that went for him. 

5 hours ago, Super said:

Don't remember a queue of teams interested in him. Anyway he is the past time to move on.

Cardiff for one, there was at least 2 other English clubs too off the top of my head and others in Europe. We were just the ones that got him. It's not really the point anyway, he came here and did well - we sold him and made a big profit.

I had all the time in the world for Kodj when he was with us but since he moved to Villa there have been one or two things that have annoyed me.

This interview and his strange Instagram antics plus all the talk of being influenced by a group of friends, families and agents make me believe that he's being 'poorly managed'.  I'm not a big fan of sanitized dull-as-dishwater PR but he seems to be burning bridges unnecessarily.

No big deal for me.  But maybe Lee Johnson could see he wasn't that sharp..."26 years old with the footballing development of an 18 year old etc"

I think we did amazing business to sell him.  The player himself ought to realise that the only reason he moved is because we wanted him to go (albeit for the money).  The Newcastle game highlighted to me that there wasn't room on the pitch for Kodjia and Abraham.  And with Tammy already scoring it was clear that the Frenchman was going to continue out wide or go back to the bench.

The Villa fans' comments when they signed him were along the lines of "good signing for now, we'll replace him when we go up".  And that is the reality for him.  He's at a bigger (but not better) club right now but he won't be first choice if they go back to the Prem.  Maynard found out the hard way that being bought by a club heading for the Premier League doesn't guarantee you Premier League football.

Good luck to Kodjia, I hope he does well.  I want our club to get the extra £4M.

Archived