IGNORED

Kodjia gives his reasons for leaving

Robin Ashton

Did he really say that exactly? Not with his limited English. That's a local journo's very flowery version for the Villa fans and I just wish that Jimmy had been honest and said he has gone for the money. 

Nobody at BCFC can blame him for that, coming as he does from a, probably poor, immigrant family, brought up in the St Denis area of north Paris which is hardly a comfortable and welcoming district. He's got about three or four years to build a bank balance that will take him and his family out of that for ever. The king is dead, etc. 

@Super He has remembered this... as for 'rotting in the French League'...really? Anyone who scores goals in those leagues gets signed up by other Clubs. If we hadn't have bought him, someone else would of...maybe someone bigger than us.

With respect Super...it's comments like this and some on FB, calling him all the names under the sun, that show how certain fans will believe everything they read in the press and react without thinking.

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Dont know why some people get irate about his comments. Its obvious they are a much bigger club, to compare would be silly. Same reason we got O'Dowda.

He said 'better'.  Anyway, I'm being pedantic.

Stating fact doesn't make it appropriate.  Diplomacy is what people really want.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Aston Villa ARE a massive club... they may be having a blip, but if you need reminding...quote...

'As of the end of the 2014–15 season[update], Aston Villa have spent 104 seasons in the top tier of English football; the only club to have spent longer in the top flight are Everton, with 112 seasons,[78] making Aston Villa versus Everton the most-played fixture in English top-flight football. Aston Villa were in an elite group of seven clubs that has played in every Premier League season, the other six being Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal since its establishment in 1992–93 until they were relegated in 2016. They are seventh in the All-time FA Premier League table, and have the fifth highest total of major honours won by an English club with 21 wins.[7]

Aston Villa currently hold the record number of league goals scored by any team in the English top flight; 128 goals were scored in the 1930–31 season, one more than Arsenal who won the league that season for the very first time, with Villa runners-up.[79] Villa legend Archie Hunter became the first player to score in every round of the FA Cup in Villa's victorious 1887 campaign. Villa's longest unbeaten home run in the FA Cup spanned 13 years and 19 games, from 1888 to 1901.[80]

Aston Villa are one of five English teams to have won the European Cup.'

Like @Phileas Fogg has mentioned...his command of the English language is not the best. If it was, I can't imagine him being so blunt in his explanation.

Unfortunately because of this article and the Scunthorpe game, certain fans are going to turn him into a hate figure.

I get the impression from recent posts on this forum, that certain fans are forgetting who we are. Yes we might be going in the right direction now, a bigger Stadium and getting infrastructure in place...but we are still playing catch up. Aston Villa's history proves as fact that they are bigger and better than us....some people need to get a grip.

Some of things being put in place at this club now, were in place at Villa 30 years ago, if not longer. By comparison, we are starting to learn to walk, whilst Villa have already run a marathon. In many ways, this Club being run 'Professionally' has just been born. It really is a reality check.

One thing that stood out for me in that article, is how welcomed he's felt and that other players at Villa can speak French.

Imagine going to work everyday, not being able to understand or speak French, being greeted by friendly colleagues, but only being able to speak a few words. After a while, you are going to feel down and isolated, however friendly people are...it's human nature.

I also get the impression, regardless of JK's natural ability, that LJ didn't see JK as his type of player...maybe I'm wrong, but that's just an impression I have.

So imo, there should be no hatred for JK...for all the reasons I've mentioned.

The first half of your post is history and yes they are a big club, the rest of it is an appeasement of the lack of class and respect from the player, respect is something that you learn normally from your parents and no amount of money can give anybody class.

The highlighted portion?, whose fault is that?, he came over chasing the big money of the English game and BCFC has been his springboard to that in 1 year, why not move on with a bit of humility and class?.

There was absolutely no need for him to make the remarks that he made in the same way that Maynard did when he left, football can be very cruel just ask Maynard.

He's gone, thanks for the profit but IMHO yet another player who signs a meaningless contract supposedly binding him to a club but has all of the power to manipulate a move, there really is something wrong with football at times, which is why I say fair play to WBA over Berahino.

I can't say I was ever disappointed to lose Kodjia.  I've said several times (on here too I think) since day 1 that the guy needs far too many chances and trips over his own shoelaces at times.

He may have started well at Villa, but I'm not convinced he'll ever justify the expense.  

Better to get rid quickly, so onwards and upwards.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The first half of your post is history and yes they are a big club, the rest of it is an appeasement of the lack of class and respect from the player, respect is something that you learn normally from your parents and no amount of money can give anybody class.

The highlighted portion?, whose fault is that?, he came over chasing the big money of the English game and BCFC has been his springboard to that in 1 year, why not move on with a bit of humility and class?.

There was absolutely no need for him to make the remarks that he made in the same way that Maynard did when he left, football can be very cruel just ask Maynard.

He's gone, thanks for the profit but IMHO yet another player who signs a meaningless contract supposedly binding him to a club but has all of the power to manipulate a move, there really is something wrong with football at times, which is why I say fair play to WBA over Berahino.

From his tweets and knowing his back ground , I don't think ' grace ' and ' étiquette ' would have been on the classroom agenda .

He came, He scored , He Scarpered .

Good luck to the bloke but now we've moved on .

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

From his tweets and knowing his back ground , I don't think ' grace ' and ' étiquette ' would have been on the classroom agenda .

He came, He scored , He Scarpered .

Good luck to the bloke but now we've moved on .

He's French you left out sulking, they are the undefeated world champions.

if he has an unbelievable season, he might believe that he is worthy of an even bigger club (there really are bigger clubs than big club Villa), "contrat, ce qui est un contrat".

@Esmond Million's Bung 'Humility and Class'...C'mon fella...he's from France, living their surely you get that they are 'different' ;-)

In all seriousness...I think a lot of his sentiments have been lost in translation and through lack of being able to speak English eloquently.

He may have said how much he 'respected' City and thankful he was to City, but the journalist has just chosen to quote the bits that fit with Villa supporters. As in...'City are in the past now'. Before that, he may have praised us.

That's why I get frustrated at Fans reactions...because more often than not, Journalists print stories with an Agenda behind them.

On a different note...IF ANY MODS ARE READING...WHY IS IT WHEN I PRESS TO QUOTE SOMEONE, NOTHING HAPPENS? THEIR QUOTE WILL NOT UPLOAD...ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

@Esmond Million's Bung 'Humility and Class'...C'mon fella...he's from France, living their surely you get that they are 'different' ;-)

In all seriousness...I think a lot of his sentiments have been lost in translation and through lack of being able to speak English eloquently.

He may have said how much he 'respected' City and thankful he was to City, but the journalist has just chosen to quote the bits that fit with Villa supporters. As in...'City are in the past now'. Before that, he may have praised us.

That's why I get frustrated at Fans reactions...because more often than not, Journalists print stories with an Agenda behind them.

On a different note...IF ANY MODS ARE READING...WHY IS IT WHEN I PRESS TO QUOTE SOMEONE, NOTHING HAPPENS? THEIR QUOTE WILL NOT UPLOAD...ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

No

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Is it plugged in and switched on?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Aston Villa ARE a massive club... they may be having a blip, but if you need reminding...quote...

'As of the end of the 2014–15 season[update], Aston Villa have spent 104 seasons in the top tier of English football; the only club to have spent longer in the top flight are Everton, with 112 seasons,[78] making Aston Villa versus Everton the most-played fixture in English top-flight football. Aston Villa were in an elite group of seven clubs that has played in every Premier League season, the other six being Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal since its establishment in 1992–93 until they were relegated in 2016. They are seventh in the All-time FA Premier League table, and have the fifth highest total of major honours won by an English club with 21 wins.[7]

Aston Villa currently hold the record number of league goals scored by any team in the English top flight; 128 goals were scored in the 1930–31 season, one more than Arsenal who won the league that season for the very first time, with Villa runners-up.[79] Villa legend Archie Hunter became the first player to score in every round of the FA Cup in Villa's victorious 1887 campaign. Villa's longest unbeaten home run in the FA Cup spanned 13 years and 19 games, from 1888 to 1901.[80]

Aston Villa are one of five English teams to have won the European Cup.'

Like @Phileas Fogg has mentioned...his command of the English language is not the best. If it was, I can't imagine him being so blunt in his explanation.

Unfortunately because of this article and the Scunthorpe game, certain fans are going to turn him into a hate figure.

I get the impression from recent posts on this forum, that certain fans are forgetting who we are. Yes we might be going in the right direction now, a bigger Stadium and getting infrastructure in place...but we are still playing catch up. Aston Villa's history proves as fact that they are bigger and better than us....some people need to get a grip.

Some of things being put in place at this club now, were in place at Villa 30 years ago, if not longer. By comparison, we are starting to learn to walk, whilst Villa have already run a marathon. In many ways, this Club being run 'Professionally' has just been born. It really is a reality check.

One thing that stood out for me in that article, is how welcomed he's felt and that other players at Villa can speak French.

Imagine going to work everyday, not being able to understand or speak French, being greeted by friendly colleagues, but only being able to speak a few words. After a while, you are going to feel down and isolated, however friendly people are...it's human nature.

I also get the impression, regardless of JK's natural ability, that LJ didn't see JK as his type of player...maybe I'm wrong, but that's just an impression I have.

So imo, there should be no hatred for JK...for all the reasons I've mentioned.

Huh, but they have never won The Anglo Scottish Cup, The Welsh Cup or The Johnstones Freight Rover Paint Trophy!

26 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Try putting it in rice.

Yeah, I've dropped my iPhone down the shitter before as well.

Rice didn't work though :sad26:

As for Kodjia, he has gone to a much bigger club with a bigger fanbase. Whether they're 'better' this season remains to be seen but I don't think it will be long before they're back in the Prem. We've heard players say similar things about City after signing for us. It's just what footballers do. As Spudski says, I think some of what he said has been lost in translation as well...

"City is the past for me" is the same as saying "I've got a new club to concentrate on scoring goals for now"

I think @Monkeh nailed it ,Villa are a bigger club but at the moment are approaching basket case standing.

JK could have thanked City for the intro into English football, and then said Villa famous club blah, blah football speak etc, etc  .  But he shows a complete lack of class , I'm sure we will give him the respect and thanks he deserves when we go to them later in the year.

Stay classy OTIB ;)

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Are you for real?, are you actually saying that humility and class don't exist here in France? are you really saying that?.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think @Monkeh nailed it ,Villa are a bigger club but at the moment are approaching basket case standing.

JK could have thanked City for the intro into English football, and then said Villa famous club blah, blah football speak etc, etc  .  But he shows a complete lack of class , I'm sure we will give him the respect and thanks he deserves when we go to them later in the year.

Stay classy OTIB ;)

Might be tough considering he'll be at the African cup of nations

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

Quite agree with you Spudski. Years ago I was interviewed by the great Peter Godsiff. The subsequent article used words I hadn't uttered, concentrated on a theme I had barely touched upon and emphasized something I had said in a throwaway comment. Certain things I said at length that I considered important didn't appear at all. When I read the subsequent article it was like I was reading the views of a stranger, although a lot of what appeared I had said.

For months afterwards, I had acquaintances and strangers approach me fully believing that the article was a verbatim report on what I had said. The other misconception people had is that I got paid for the article. Hardly any believed me when I told them that I just got Peter Godsiff to sign the Bristol City history book he had authored that I had brought along with me.

@Esmond Million's Bung...hence my wink at the end of the sentence fella ;-) Of course 'class and humility' can be found in any country.

Having worked and lived in France many times over the years, I've enough knowledge of our French friends, to understand how differently many of them think to us though.

Many see them as a Nation as being 'Arrogant' and aloof... that's why understanding and excepting cultural difference is difficult for some.

Archived