IGNORED

Kodjia gives his reasons for leaving

Robin Ashton

• Admin

“It was inspiration. I've not played too many matches from wide midfield, so the gaffer has today picked me to play wide so I said 'OK, no problem' and tried my best for the team."

Bit different to the answer he gave LJ when he asked him to play wide at Scunthorpe. 

Do the grown ups who post on here really let themselves get bothered by the same boring rhetoric that gets trotted out every time.  I agree that players could try to be more sensitive at times, but realistically it doesn't happen, it's not personal.

I love a bit of theatre at football, but what if we clapped him at Villa Park?

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Do the grown ups who post on here really let themselves get bothered by the same boring rhetoric that gets trotted out every time.  I agree that players could try to be more sensitive at times, but realistically it doesn't happen, it's not personal.

I love a bit of theatre at football, but what if we clapped him at Villa Park?

Normally a player would saysomething along the lines of " Bristol City is a great club with fantastic fans and it was hard for me to leave" However Kodjia just said i'm joining a bigger and better club. so it is rubbing our noses in it a bit because we all know deep down that he left for the money 

Concur with what most say on here. He would have been asked the question and given his reasons, which will also be more driven to ingratiating himself with his new club and fans .... some may be better at delivering their thoughts in a sensitive manner, some will be crass.

Most people would say that Villa are a better club and a better team than us, although for the former they probably mean bigger and more successful in respect of history/ground/crowds - this will be what informs the latter part, whether they have seen both of us play or  not.

It doesn't change anything and in the big scheme of things is an inconsequential 'story'.

COYR

4 minutes ago, westonred said:

Normally a player would saysomething along the lines of " Bristol City is a great club with fantastic fans and it was hard for me to leave" However Kodjia just said i'm joining a bigger and better club. so it is rubbing our noses in it a bit because we all know deep down that he left for the money 

I don't think he has the command of English to say that.

I don't think he's 'rubbing our noses in it' either - Villa are a huge club and he could have doubled or tripled what wage he was on here. Good for him, it's a great move for him and we did very well out of the deal. 

If money was the main reason, who cares? If a more prestigious rival offers you better money than your current employer, maybe even doubling or tripling it.. I doubt you'd have many qualms about leaving. 

Genuinely surprised people get upset about these sort of comments, they're empty remarks most new players would say.

My take on his interview.........

Better club?? Time will tell dependant on how the new owner does but I would say anyone would be hard pressed to find a better club than Bristol City at this current time!!

Better team?? Results would currently say not, throwing ridiculous amounts of money at players doesn't make you a better team or club, it just means people will take advantage of the club as Bristol City & JK himself has done!!

And the big telling one for me is the fact that he makes the point of having other French speaking players around him!! After over a year of being here he's still not comfortable with the language, says more about JK than it does about our club, I hope he enjoys his sleepless nights while he's on Facebook to his friends & family, way to adapt to life in England & enjoy your money!!

8 hours ago, Bcfc24 said:

Didnt need to do that, liked Jonathan but why not have a bit of dignity! Will boo him when we next play him

Why hasnt @Thatch35 liked this yet! 

Those comments were totally uncalled for! We we're the ones who brought him here, a little bit of respect would have been good. (Not sure his English may have helped though) 

I don't really care what he said TBH. I just wonder if he said that in English, or French that was then translated? Either way it's pretty basic with very little content. If it's his English, then congratulations, as he's said more in 5 mins at Villa than he did in a year here! If it's translated then they need a new interpreter, as that's shite O level work at best...

Aston Villa ARE a massive club... they may be having a blip, but if you need reminding...quote...

'As of the end of the 2014–15 season[update], Aston Villa have spent 104 seasons in the top tier of English football; the only club to have spent longer in the top flight are Everton, with 112 seasons,[78] making Aston Villa versus Everton the most-played fixture in English top-flight football. Aston Villa were in an elite group of seven clubs that has played in every Premier League season, the other six being Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal since its establishment in 1992–93 until they were relegated in 2016. They are seventh in the All-time FA Premier League table, and have the fifth highest total of major honours won by an English club with 21 wins.[7]

Aston Villa currently hold the record number of league goals scored by any team in the English top flight; 128 goals were scored in the 1930–31 season, one more than Arsenal who won the league that season for the very first time, with Villa runners-up.[79] Villa legend Archie Hunter became the first player to score in every round of the FA Cup in Villa's victorious 1887 campaign. Villa's longest unbeaten home run in the FA Cup spanned 13 years and 19 games, from 1888 to 1901.[80]

Aston Villa are one of five English teams to have won the European Cup.'

Like @Phileas Fogg has mentioned...his command of the English language is not the best. If it was, I can't imagine him being so blunt in his explanation.

Unfortunately because of this article and the Scunthorpe game, certain fans are going to turn him into a hate figure.

I get the impression from recent posts on this forum, that certain fans are forgetting who we are. Yes we might be going in the right direction now, a bigger Stadium and getting infrastructure in place...but we are still playing catch up. Aston Villa's history proves as fact that they are bigger and better than us....some people need to get a grip.

Some of things being put in place at this club now, were in place at Villa 30 years ago, if not longer. By comparison, we are starting to learn to walk, whilst Villa have already run a marathon. In many ways, this Club being run 'Professionally' has just been born. It really is a reality check.

One thing that stood out for me in that article, is how welcomed he's felt and that other players at Villa can speak French.

Imagine going to work everyday, not being able to understand or speak French, being greeted by friendly colleagues, but only being able to speak a few words. After a while, you are going to feel down and isolated, however friendly people are...it's human nature.

I also get the impression, regardless of JK's natural ability, that LJ didn't see JK as his type of player...maybe I'm wrong, but that's just an impression I have.

So imo, there should be no hatred for JK...for all the reasons I've mentioned.

Archived