IGNORED

Reality Check Perhaps

longyears

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

Competing with Derby, Wednesday, Villa, Newcastle, Norwich with them all no doubt coming off thinking that was a tough game... What an awful time to be a City fan. Un-fking-believable. 

But then there's Rotherham. 

Wedensday? Don't forget we were 2-0 up at one stage and they managed to win the game with a man sent off before we did.  

Massive game error in my opinion that could cost us. 

I think the reality check is being felt much harder by many more teams than us personally.

Villa - net spend of £30m: 1 win in 8 games.

Blackburn - Non existent owners: 2 wins in 8. Average attendance under 12k.

Cardiff - massive money saving so no money spent: 1 win in 8. Average attendance under 15k.

There are three quick examples for you. 

All things considered we've had a very solid start to the season, which could have been much better but for a different rub of the green and a few less individual errors.

The most important thing for me is that, while the team is only 8 games old and still gelling, we've been a match for or at least given a damn good account of ourselves, against pretty much everyone we've played. 

We've got goals a plenty, and now have more options from the squad, as proved today with three first team players out, we still had enough on the bench to effect the game.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

We're moving in the right direction.

It's a game of two halves.

And various other analogies. 

3 hours ago, longyears said:

Not all doom and gloom but little Lee talks a good game like some before him but at the end of the day goals and points are all that matter. Not bad signings so far but not really very good either. We will probably avoid the drop ( IMO ) but dream on if you think we will achieve anything else as we have a porous defence most weeks and a loan scoring most of our goals. Too many players not really Championship standard and sadly most of them never will be !

None of this is a surprise to many of the older heads(myself included)... when you have been there for as many years you tend not to let expectations get the better of the likely reality..par for the course will be 15th place,and ok by me!

23 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Don't feed the troll.......OP started a thread purely to throw in a grenade, hasn't bothered to respond to counter any argument.

A new, young talented team who have already played some of the top teams and with a bit more composure in our defending/attacking over the past 3 games and we could have been third.

cut out the mistakes and we'll be fine

Cut out the mistakes and you will be watching different players.  

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think the reality check is being felt much harder by many more teams than us personally.

Cardiff - massive money saving so no money spent: 1 win in 8. Average attendance under 15k.

All things considered we've had a very solid start to the season, which could have been much better but for a different rub of the green and a few less individual errors.

The most important thing for me is that, while the team is only 8 games old and still gelling, we've been a match for or at least given a damn good account of ourselves, against pretty much everyone we've played. 

We've got goals a plenty, and now have more options from the squad, as proved today with three first team players out, we still had enough on the bench to effect the game.

Exactly. Good grounded post.

I do think we are a lot better run now. 

But as things stand we will finish mid table at the very best. Let's not think above that.  

Rome was not built in a day etc etc. 

But we have been trying to build this from the very least 2007/08

Couple of observations i have,, firstly, lj said when oneill was sent off that we lost our leader. If one player constitutes our leader, we have a problem.

Likewise, we have a fantastic loan striker, who is 18. There is a pretty good chance that at some point a loss of form or injury might happen. Then we are really struggling, and hoping that engvall can do what abraham is doing. 

Selling kodjia had to be done, but we are really light on leadership and centre forward options, which isnt great after spending 11 million quid this summer.

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

We look a far more threatening attacking unit than last season with a talented young centre forward who knows where the net is.

my only concern is that we don't have a plan b just yet although LJ did try something different in the first half today.

Still a lot of growing to be done by the squad as I think there are still quite a few players yet to bed in fully. I think if we can stay in that middle group of clubs by Christmas then think the second half of the season will see us challenge the top 6 places

I would hope plan B might be to not keep conceding the first goal in so many games.

We've done well so far to keep coming back to get a result but there are too many teams in this division capable of defending a one goallead, so we might not be able  to keep escaping.

The other plan B needs to be cutting out self inflicted mistakes - if this continues it will kill our season.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Quite laughable how some fans expect us to turn over every team we play as if we're the best team in the league. Some really are deluded.

I've thought this of us for the last 50 years though super!

11 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Couple of observations i have,, firstly, lj said when oneill was sent off that we lost our leader. If one player constitutes our leader, we have a problem.

Likewise, we have a fantastic loan striker, who is 18. There is a pretty good chance that at some point a loss of form or injury might happen. Then we are really struggling, and hoping that engvall can do what abraham is doing. 

Selling kodjia had to be done, but we are really light on leadership and centre forward options, which isnt great after spending 11 million quid this summer.

We had a lot of building to do over the summer, given LJ inherited a very small squad.

I don't think anyone can deny it was a very good summer of recruitment, but it's obvious we didn't get everything we needed.

I also think it's pie in the sky to think you can build a squad over one transfer window, so I'm sure MA and LJ will be pulling out all the stops come Jan to address some more of the issues. 

31 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

But then there's Rotherham. 

Wedensday? Don't forget we were 2-0 up at one stage and they managed to win the game with a man sent off before we did.  

Massive game error in my opinion that could cost us. 

What and do you doubt Rotherham said the same - 2-0 up against Bristol City at home? 

Yes there was the sending off, but that was about 4 seconds of open play time before our own. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

What and do you doubt Rotherham said the same - 2-0 up against Bristol City at home? 

Yes there was the sending off, but that was about 4 seconds of open play time before our own. 

All I am saying is if you have aspirations of grandure in this league you should be putting teams like Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday to bed. Errespective of grass time scores. 

4 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

All I am saying is if you have aspirations of grandure in this league you should be putting teams like Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday to bed. Errespective of grass time scores. 

Indeed. But many have delusions of grandeur. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

IMO after 8 games we've done well, 11 points, from 3 wins and a draw. the season has only just started and we are as has been said a changed team which need time to jell. 

I haven't seen any Championship team Live or on TV any better than us so when we sort out our silly mistakes we will climb higher up this league.

REMEMBER we don't need to be top now but at the end of the season, it's a marathon not a sprint.. we can afford to have a few blips now and sort them out , we need to be in top 6 at or around Easter, that's when it counts. 

3 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

IMO after 8 games we've done well, 11 points, from 3 wins and a draw. the season has only just started and we are as has been said a changed team which need time to jell. 

I haven't seen any Championship team Live or on TV any better than us so when we sort out our silly mistakes we will climb higher up this league.

REMEMBER we don't need to be top now but at the end of the season, it's a marathon not a sprint.. we can afford to have a few blips now and sort them out , we need to be in top 6 at or around Easter, that's when it counts. 

Agreed, it is a marathon. Personally I think from what we've seen so far this season, we clearly have the ability to trouble most teams in the division, but are lacking in too many areas to really sustain a top 6 push year. Depending on how we buy in Jan, that could change though. 

We are showing all the signs that we will finish in the top half though, and i'd be happy with that. 

15 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Me included ?

Perhaps if you think we should be putting Sheff weds to bed - even a point at hillsborouh is rarely a bad result : appreciate we didn't get that, but it's one of those away days you're on a hiding to nothing I'd say. 

Personally I see is as a 10-15 side with the capability of top 6 if we get the rub of the green and our competition drop points. Fwiw I think we will end up getting at worst close to top 6. But I'm far from saying Sheff Weds is a side we should put to bed. We gave a good account of ourselves and didn't take points thanks to freakish incidents. You live, you learn and you carry on. 

Not sure what is so hard to understand, we are mostly buying players with potential to develop, with a view to building a squad that will, in 2/3 years be very competitive. With huge parachute payments and SL looking for self sufficiency, the only realistic way forward. What I see is an exciting squad, capable of competing with the best, but still learning. Just be patient and don't set sights too high this season. The Club looks in very good shape right now.

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

So you don't think any of our players can improve personally and or collectively?

We have completed a few 'upgrades',and more to the point there are a number yet to be improved upon..we are a work in progress,for sure,but it's still really early as were catching up from that window disaster.we have a few still aboard that will never fit the criteria.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Perhaps if you think we should be putting Sheff weds to bed - even a point at hillsborouh is rarely a bad result : appreciate we didn't get that, but it's one of those away days you're on a hiding to nothing I'd say. 

Personally I see is as a 10-15 side with the capability of top 6 if we get the rub of the green and our competition drop points. Fwiw I think we will end up getting at worst close to top 6. But I'm far from saying Sheff Weds is a side we should put to bed. We gave a good account of ourselves and didn't take points thanks to freakish incidents. You live, you learn and you carry on. 

Noted but we were 2-0 up. And they had a man sent off. I wasn't there, but with discipline  surly we should of kept 11 men on the pitch and held are own. 

19 minutes ago, Redrobbin said:

Noted but we were 2-0 up. And they had a man sent off. I wasn't there, but with discipline  surly we should of kept 11 men on the pitch and held are own. 

We had someone incorrectly sent off. Yes he gave the referee a decision, but he absolutely won the ball. Also, how often does the ball rebound almost to the halfway line from a shot that hits the bottom of the post? It was a freakish occurrence as 29AR said. Even accepting the rebound, a wrongly given second booking is not a lack of discipline.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We had someone incorrectly sent off. Yes he gave the referee a decision, but he absolutely won the ball. Also, how often does the ball rebound almost to the halfway line from a shot that hits the bottom of the post? It was a freakish occurrence as 29AR said. Even accepting the rebound, a wrongly given second booking is not a lack of discipline.

Yes granted a freakish game of football no doubt. One that won't be repeated? Having said that I have seen a few freakish Tuesday evening games in my time at Ashton gate. 

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Firstly, who said I was comparing Johnson's and Cotterill's teams at the same stage of the season? 

Secondly, I see how you are trying to put a positive spin on it. Another way of looking at it is that we've played one of last year's play-off teams and lost. Another one, Derby, have been poor this season.

Aston Villa are on one of the biggest downers in the club's history. And they could still have been 4-0 up at half-time.

What Cotterill team are you comparing it with then? The only time we were anywhere near as high as we are now was at the start of August when we were 6th on alphabetical order!!

Having missed just the Norwich game this season all the negativity must be predominantly from those not attending games. 

With a little luck, 2 posts and a bar we would have won all three games last week.  

What I can say is at every away game this season the home fans have been very impressed with us. For me that's a good guide as to where we are. 

We're still finding our best 11 and I believe we'll only improve on a very good start. 

13 hours ago, Super said:

Quite laughable how some fans expect us to turn over every team we play as if we're the best team in the league. Some really are deluded.

I've been this deluded for the last 50 years super!

First time online since the game. You all saw it. Great to get a point and thought our effort could not be faulted but for me worst end product since Burton.

Clearer and clearer how LJ wants to play possession football around the other box (Paterson role is great example) and to be fair, it is attractive to watch.

But at times yesterday it was "Can't Pass Won't Pass", our biggest impediment is the quality or care in our short passing and our players decision making.

If you want to suffocate the game with overload of passing like Portugal (said with some experience!) you've got to be totally unashamed of a simple pass.

After an hour we're 1 down and looked on course for 2 or 3 down and yet were a team that produced 3-4 back heels and a rabona in and around the box!

It's exciting to watch BUT we gave the ball away cheaply far too often, and picked wrong shot or pass where on another day Derby are dead and buried.

Perhaps the Gary O'Neil influence - also known as composure (Tuesday tackle aside) was what was  really missing - but for gods sake KEEP IT SIMPLE..

Amazed there isn't a Bobby Reid thread as fully expected him to be scapegoated for what was (first half at least) his poorest performance for a few weeks.

He was playing too deep and in a different role to where he's been effective recently, and only settled in 4-4-2 second half. But goes on to set the goal up.

Freeman is also a popular scapegoat and thought second half a good example of his composure to play LJ's target of us working the ball around the box.

Thought it was Tomlin's best performance of the season, assume he is one who has had the talking to after SW about application and effort - really trying.

Some sensational touches and interplay but one of the worst for not keeping it simple and picking the wrong pass. Final ball like others, was not the best.

It's all been said about Flint. I was amazed Ekstrand started. Didn't look fit at Rotherham, nor yesterday. Little conversely has earned his place in the team.

Final word (for me at least) HAS to go to Magnusson. There isn't a player in the team playing with more consistency, or quality. What an absolute bargain.

Archived