IGNORED

Reality Check Perhaps

longyears

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Exactly 

I honestly think some would rather we were a big fish in a small pond than accept competence in the period of building to be something more. There's f all patience and that's certainly a contributor as to why we have the history that we do. 

Personally I think we've had a cracking start to the season. What's more we look damn tough opposition and are orchestrating the reasons why we aren't winning currently. That's a much healthier position than not being able to score - ask Derby, or Cardiff, or ...

Even this past 3 games shows we can improve by improving the decision making of one link. If we can't improve that, we are able to replace from within our squad with a quality defender. I'm not picking on Flint because picking would need it to be unreasonable, but the chap is bang out of form. I expect him to put it right but even if he doesn't we have Ekstrand. 

7 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm 100 per cent sure Flint is still suffering from his cramp problem and need and operation. He turns like a buss but not like one from the 1920's. Specially designed socks is nothing but total nuts from the club. Flint need an operation!   

I never knew you could have an operation to 'clear' cramp.

I thought it was a build up of acid.

Live and learn. 

56 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Certainly on the pitch we don't seem to be much better than Cotterill's Championship side

Sorry but thats absolutely ridiculous. We couldnt even fill a bench this time last year. 

I wish people would manage their expectations a bit better. Too many of us got carried away at all our summer signings and expected a top six finish. Now that its quite clear that we arent good enough for that. toys are being thrown out of the pram.

1 minute ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Sorry but thats absolutely ridiculous. We couldnt even fill a bench this time last year. 

I wish people would manage their expectations a bit better. Too many of us got carried away at all our summer signings and expected a top six finish. Now that its quite clear that we arent good enough for that. toys are being thrown out of the pram.

Even now I think we have top 6 potential. But potential takes time to grow and it was never likely to be perfect from the start. Nothing is decided in September and there's still such a long season ahead.

If Tomlin's pen goes in against Sheffield Wednesday and we won 3-1, we'd be 6th now.

One of the main difficulties of getting in the top 6 is that there's probably at least a dozen sides that think the same thing.

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

First sentence of your reply

Me not knowing something doesn't make me wrong. It's an acknowledgement that I didn't know something.

If I'd said 'you've wrong' then you corrected - then, yes. I'd have been wrong.

That's the great thing about OTIB. You get an education. I've learnt that you can have an operation to cure cramp. And you've had your (possibly second language?) understanding of English improved.

Both winners here.

What exactly were you expecting at the start of the season that what we've seen so far constitutes a reality check?

In my eyes we've made a good start, tinged with slight frustration that it could and maybe should have been a great start. We've been exciting to watch, played some good attacking football and though there are clearly vulnerabilities and inconsistencies that need to be worked on that may mean we're not quite ready for a play-off push just yet, all the signs are that we're heading in the right direction.

5 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

What exactly were you expecting at the start of the season that what we've seen so far constitutes a reality check?

In my eyes we've made a good start, tinged with slight frustration that it could and maybe should have been a great start. We've been exciting to watch, played some good attacking football and though there are clearly vulnerabilities and inconsistencies that need to be worked on that may mean we're not quite ready for a play-off push just yet, all the signs are that we're heading in the right direction.

This. Exactly.

Last two away games we could well have got 6 points and only came away with one.

Young side, new side, bad luck and a few individual mistakes.

Guys and gals, let's not forget this is a long term project. We have a lot of new recruits that need time to settle - and to be fair they've done well overall. We're not going to win every game and there will be some games where players don't perform/make mistakes- it doesn't mean they are liabilities. We need to give Lee and the staff time to sort these errors out. It will get better again.

We look a far more threatening attacking unit than last season with a talented young centre forward who knows where the net is.

my only concern is that we don't have a plan b just yet although LJ did try something different in the first half today.

Still a lot of growing to be done by the squad as I think there are still quite a few players yet to bed in fully. I think if we can stay in that middle group of clubs by Christmas then think the second half of the season will see us challenge the top 6 places

1 hour ago, longyears said:

Not all doom and gloom but little Lee talks a good game like some before him but at the end of the day goals and points are all that matter. Not bad signings so far but not really very good either. We will probably avoid the drop ( IMO ) but dream on if you think we will achieve anything else as we have a porous defence most weeks and a loan scoring most of our goals. Too many players not really Championship standard and sadly most of them never will be !

Total bollox ,mr  32 posts .

The reality is some people will compare us to playing championship manager. If we're not 5-0 up at half time playing total football then we're poor. 

Its about progression for a football club like us. Build a younger squad who want to improve the club and improve their own careers. Players will make mistakes at this stage of their career, but the important thing is we support the system the club are building. I'm a big fan personally.

its not like we can buy from the best off the shelf from players r us

2 hours ago, longyears said:

Not all doom and gloom but little Lee talks a good game like some before him but at the end of the day goals and points are all that matter. Not bad signings so far but not really very good either. We will probably avoid the drop ( IMO ) but dream on if you think we will achieve anything else as we have a porous defence most weeks and a loan scoring most of our goals. Too many players not really Championship standard and sadly most of them never will be !

Well imho this a load of bollocks. No, we won't be playoff contenders I don't think but we'll be comfortable mid table. You don't think , Tomlin, Magnusson , O'neil etc are championship quality. Have a word with yourself . 

21 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

The reality is some people will compare us to playing championship manager. If we're not 5-0 up at half time playing total football then we're poor. 

Its about progression for a football club like us. Build a younger squad who want to improve the club and improve their own careers. Players will make mistakes at this stage of their career, but the important thing is we support the system the club are building. I'm a big fan personally.

its not like we can buy from the best off the shelf from players r us

Ahh that mythical system again

1 hour ago, bcfctim said:

Spot on... I was as gutted as I have ever been after we threw away 3 pts against Sheff.Weds, think the way that game went is making some more negative than they need to be. Had Tomlin put that penalty away we would be sitting level on points with the team in 6th at least.

Don't feed the troll.......OP started a thread purely to throw in a grenade, hasn't bothered to respond to counter any argument.

A new, young talented team who have already played some of the top teams and with a bit more composure in our defending/attacking over the past 3 games and we could have been third.

cut out the mistakes and we'll be fine

Archived