IGNORED

Thoughts on today...

Londoner

Frankie what a man....I've never seen so much fear and trepidation from the entire stadium when he has the ball at his feet, but he made excellent saves today but really must improve his distribution.

I thought Ekstrand had a solid debut, slow as a cart horse but seems a solid centre back....also a word for little who continues to improve, he was perfectly steady today.

i thought Paterson looked a very good player, considerably better and a step up from freeman. Quick skilful has a shot on him and looks a steal....one slight criticism was he could of got the ball in quicker on occasions.

Reid and Pack both ok, neither at their best, excellent ball for the goal though.

Abraham is a real handful, but more composure when not poaching is what he needs to develop next, but played very well today.

As I said on another thread I thogh Derby we're very average....can't see them scoring enough goals....vydra is in awful form and Wilson largely unproven. 

Flint other than his error was excellent, shame one mistake counts for so much and he needs to make sure he doesn't continue this.

all in all a fair point but Derby missed some great chances due to us bombing forward, where as we missed the opportunity to get 3 points against an average side....both sides will have a sense of disappointment.

the big plus for me was Paterson, hope he can keep it up!

7 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Frankie what a man....I've never seen so much fear and trepidation from the entire stadium when he has the ball at his feet, but he made excellent saves today but really must improve his distribution.

I thought Ekstrand had a solid debut, slow as a cart horse but seems a solid centre back....also a word for little who continues to improve, he was perfectly steady today.

i thought Paterson looked a very good player, considerably better and a step up from freeman. Quick skilful has a shot on him and looks a steal....one slight criticism was he could of got the ball in quicker on occasions.

Reid and Pack both ok, neither at their best, excellent ball for the goal though.

Abraham is a real handful, but more composure when not poaching is what he needs to develop next, but played very well today.

As I said on another thread I thogh Derby we're very average....can't see them scoring enough goals....vydra is in awful form and Wilson largely unproven. 

Flint other than his error was excellent, shame one mistake counts for so much and he needs to make sure he doesn't continue this.

all in all a fair point but Derby missed some great chances due to us bombing forward, where as we missed the opportunity to get 3 points against an average side....both sides will have a sense of disappointment.

the big plus for me was Paterson, hope he can keep it up!

How was Tomlin?

For me I thought fielding had improved his distribution in some respects. He held on to it far too long on a couple of occasions, but actually his kicking has vastly improved. In particular the length he got on his kicks. 

Ekstrand is certainly not rapid but thought he read the game very well. I see him and Magnusson a potential first choice, which will upset some. 

Little was much improved. Freeman was a danger when on and floated well. There was a little something between Pack and Tomlin I noticed. Seemed like Pack just didn't want to give him the ball if he ever had another option. Might be something to monitor there. 

Tomlin I think just needs to relax. He's playing like he needs to be a star instead of playing it a bit more conservative. I'm not sure if it's because Tammy has stepped in so well or because he's feeling the pressure to produce. I think he needs a word in his ear; we know you're good, stop trying to prove it. 

Reid once again showing he can play in the centre and more advanced. I think he's more effective advanced but no weak option when pushed back. Again showed good reading and game intelligence. 

Patterson was a bit hit and miss. At times looked a real handful and others went missing. To be honest I didn't feel watching it I knew exactly what role he was playing and I think he might have felt the same. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Had all his tricks out today , very unlucky not to score with the volley that smashed the bar and the rabonna through ball was just class. 

That's one of my praises and issues. Watching the Rabonna going through my mind was both 'absolute mint' and 'no need mate'. It's a bit like Freeman and his step overs. The execution he can pull off, just reign it in a bit mate and trust yourself rather than try to create a highlight. 

I'm not sure if the hyperbole of signing Tomlin and the summer suited us or him. I think he's feeling it a bit and trying to produce too much and frustration is setting in. I think he's going to get better with each game, but currently it's just quite not what he was like last term. It's like there's baggage he needs to offload. Perhaps if we sign a marquee player in Jan then his shoulders will drop and he'll be the player we all know he is. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Oh yeah forgot about that. Where he was doing head ups whilst running into the box. Referee signals advantage, he begins to make good use of the advantage and then the ref blows for the foul!?

Standard Championship ref. Shite. 

Where I sit it seemed after the first kick off the game they wanted Frankie to make a mistake just to give him stick! 

Same with little, when will people learn when the stadium feels nervous it carries over to the players on the pitch. 

Do find it odd how people pay there £30 to turn up and slate the players from minute 1!

10 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Good assessment, easy to have a go at flint for his error. I could see his frustration a bit because he clearly had no shout from FF to clear it and he played the same backward header that he had done twice already. Apart from that he was one of our better players and dominated in the air.

It's easy to attack because it's so bloody unnecessary. Just head the ball towards the attacking third and then if it comes back it's the attackers and the midfield, and then defence's job to make sure it doesn't present a thread. Three banks of defence. Is it really better playing it blindly to frank fielding? 

Sorry, I might be being harsh because it worked before but I see nothing to be praised in playing a blind header back. Clear the lines, that's his one and only job. Once he's released the ball there's nothing else but to regroup and reorganise whether he's heading it 20 yards forward or playing a pass. 

Plenty on here were digging out FF for a rush to the head kicking the ball out of possession in injury time at Weds. Well how more stupid is a blind, glancing header back in the first half? Not very is my assessment. Frankly a dreadful error and a header he should never, ever be looking to make again: even if that means head it out of play. A rotten decision. 

Anyone watching Flinty after we scored? Stood on the edge of the area looking towards heaven with his hands in the praying position thanking God for the equaliser. This is a bloke who cares and I love him for it. Also, while everyone else went to Wilbs to congratulate him, Lee Tomlin went straight to Flinty and gave him a man hug, well done.

38 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Can't disagree with much of that @Londoner. Thought Reid was a little better than ok tbh although he did make a few mistakes. My biggest gripe was FF and that distribution. I can't understand why he thought whacking the football straight to Carson was the way forward.

He remembered Carson playing for England v Croatia and thought it was worth a punt.

Apart from the 'mistake' by Flint, up 'til then the game was playing pretty much how I Imagined it to be.

It was always going to be hard to break down Derby who have the best defensive record in the league.

Atmosphere at the game seemed very odd as well...sort of reflected the weather...dull but bright occasionally.

Derby looked no real threat, were lucky to take the lead through Flints 'error' and all further chances were mainly when we went chasing the game and they caught us on the counter attack.

I thought all the defence performed well... Ekstrund is a fine addition. From the off you could see his class. Once up to speed and full fitness it will be a real bonus to have him. Hordur was magnificent...didn't put a foot wrong...a real class act.

Tomlin continues to frustrate and be a genius all at the same time. Way too many mistakes today by him giving the ball away for my liking. I know he wants to dictate play, but imo, it's taking away from other players in midfield, who have every opportunity to make a good pass, but get it in the ear from him, if it hasn't gone through him. Would like to see his genius killer passes continue but combined with better decision making, when a simple ball would be more effective.

I hope Tammy is ok...he took a massive knock on his ankle and struggled for much of the second half. He was a crumpled heap and could hardly walk at the end of the game.

FF made some fine saves when needed...continues to leave you feeling that a mistake is imminent any moment. His quickness of thought when delivering a kick is so indecisive. Distribution was good at times...appalling other times.

Thought Bobby and Paterson had two solid games.

After 8 games and against some tough opponents, I think we've done really well.

When you look at the teams around us, and some of the results today, it shows we have come a long way since last season, and that pretty much anyone can beat anyone.

We are bossing many games...and not being out played by anyone. If it weren't for a few individual errors we would be top 4. I feel we've been slightly unlucky...however I'm a great believer in that you make your own luck.

Can see Engvall, Elkstrund, Moore, Korey, Freeman, O'Dowda, Brownhill all starting against Fulham. 

Flint had had his back pass without looking earlier in the half...hopefully we never see that again.

both teams were poor but it could be worse guys.. think of Derby fans who have to watch that drivel week in week out.

with the squad they have they have no excuses!

draw was a fair result although Derby really should have easily scored the numerous chances they had late in the second half 

FF was outstanding the rest average 

Not at the match but from what people say I really don't understand a goalie at this level not distributing the ball properly and with conviction.

Fear his time on the bench then has not motivated him to get this aspect of his game right.  Expect O'Donnell back soon and Fielding off loaded during one of next two windows

50 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Anyone watching Flinty after we scored? Stood on the edge of the area looking towards heaven with his hands in the praying position thanking God for the equaliser. This is a bloke who cares and I love him for it. Also, while everyone else went to Wilbs to congratulate him, Lee Tomlin went straight to Flinty and gave him a man hug, well done.

I saw him do that yes. It was his first thought to offer thanks to the footballing Gods ( or whoever) and then join in the celebrations.

As for Tomlin, looked up for it yodsy like he had a point to prove. Involved in many moves and turned on his tricks. Maybe he realised he came in for some critism and wanted to remind us why we should love him.

Liked Paterson, Magnusson is growing every game. Freeman looks a different player with his hair cut!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the early enforced substitution of Joe didn't help. I believe he was outstanding against SheffW so this must have affected our game plan and this, along with the HT sub of Ekstrand, meant we had only one further option when legs were tiring later in the game. And tire they did, we really looked like we were on the back of two tough away games with lots of travel etc.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I saw him do that yes. It was his first thought to offer thanks to the footballing Gods ( or whoever) and then join in the celebrations.

As for Tomlin, looked up for it yodsy like he had a point to prove. Involved in many moves and turned on his tricks. Maybe he realised he came in for some critism and wanted to remind us why we should love him.

Liked Paterson, Magnusson is growing every game. Freeman looks a different player with his hair cut!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the early enforced substitution of Joe didn't help. I believe he was outstanding against SheffW so this must have affected our game plan and this, along with the HT sub of Ekstrand, meant we had only one further option when legs were tiring later in the game. And tire they did, we really looked like we were on the back of two tough away games with lots of travel etc.

I think LJ got it right in his RB interview about Ekstrand. He said you could see his brain was working but his legs just wouldn`t do what he wanted - put into words exactly what I thought. He will be quality when he`s fully fit, you could see that much today. As for Jamie Paterson I was looking forward to seeing him and he didn`t disappoint. Poor little bugger could hardly move at the end though he was that knackered. Hordur was excellent, it seems to take him five minutes to suss out his man at the start and he doesn`t look like he`s in any trouble after that. Their No.14 turned him twice early doors and I thought we might be in trouble but he never got a kick after that. So dominant in the air too, we`ve not seen that side of him up to now.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Was worried when I saw the formation, thought we'd play like the late Cott's days. Happy to be wrong and see a good amount of positives from today :thumbsup:

To be fair the first half was. Lee got it wrong first half. Why the he felt the need to change formation from what had been working god only knows.

He saw sense second half and we were much improved. 

26 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Not at the match but from what people say I really don't understand a goalie at this level not distributing the ball properly and with conviction.

Fear his time on the bench then has not motivated him to get this aspect of his game right.  Expect O'Donnell back soon and Fielding off loaded during one of next two windows

Not at the game but still managed to slag off the player given man of the match. What makes ROD distribution so much better? Wasn't he the keeper who kicked the ball straight out of play against Wednesday that led to their winner?

I'm so pleased that my 0-4 forecast did not happen. Derby missed chances yet we were still fortunate to go in at halftime, only one down.

They then made the mistake of settling for defence an breakaways and allowed us to dictate the game. Several very good (lucky?) saves by FF, welcome back Frank. Aden made one mistake in 90 minutes, it's a cruel game isn't it. The rest of the lads while still making some mistakes, never give up and were justly rewarded with the very late equaliser.

I won't mention anyone else except a word for the much maligned by me and plenty of others, Luke Freeman, He is becoming a better team player and using the ball quicker and going round in fewer circles than previously. He had two shots, both wide of course, but well done Luke for a good sub appearance.

Still on course for mid table obscurity and 64 points. May not be enough for SL and LJ but a year to continue building for the big leap.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I thought he gave him a massive kiss! well done Tomo!

Archived