IGNORED

What do we do about Flint

Acton Red

So well loved by many fans and so talented in so many ways, but can we really persist with him for now? Or does LJ stick with him and bring him through this to make him and us stronger? Maybe that is why he started with 3 at the back to have Ekstrand next to him to get him through the ordeal he seems to be having?

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

On the goal, of course Flint should have headed it away.....but did he get a shout of any description from Frank?

Does he need it? Never play a blind header back, ever. 

Personally he has to be dropped for me, else ROD can feel particularly aggrieved.  Notwithstanding how well FF did today, take Flint out of the equation and ROD might not have conceded 4 of his last 5, and for FF if you take take Flint out he might be staring at two clean sheets but for his mistake for the second  

I love FLint as much as the rest and rate him too, but he's just not quite there at the moment. I'd be inclined to play him through it, but he's really pushing patience with someone like Ekstrand on the bench. 

The worry with Flint is under SOD he was mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. It did take him being dropped and a long spell on the sidelines to come back strong. I'm just a bit concerned the same extended break may be needed. 

Then again, part of me wonders if he needs a managers LOVE like SC gave him. It's clear from the ITK's on here LJ needs some convincing. I'm wondering if, just if, it's not the marriage for them, as it clearly wasn't with SOD who didn't rate him. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Does he need it? Never play a blind header back, ever. 

Personally it has to be dropped for me, else ROD can feel particularly aggrieved.  Notwithstanding how well FF did today, take Flint out of the equation and ROD might not have conceded 4 of his last 5, and for FF take Flint out he might be staring a blank. 

I love FLint as much as the rest and rate him too, but he's just not quite there at the moment. I'd be inclined to play him through it, but he's really pushing patience with someone like Ekstrand on the bench. 

The worry with Flint is under SOD he was mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. It did take him being dropped and a long spell on the sidelines to come back strong. I'm just a bit concerned the same extended break may be needed. 

Where I agree with you is that if you get no shout from the keeper then you head it away and ask questions later. But I would still want my keeper to be communicating in that situation if I was a Manager.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

On the goal, of course Flint should have headed it away.....but did he get a shout of any description from Frank?

There was no need of a shout from Frankie, the ball didn't have enough pace for Fielding to have to shout for it, where he was Flint should have only been thinking of heading the ball away from goal, he was far too far out so be heading back to the box from there, let alone with a little flick.

Responsibility for the goal is solely on Flint, with some credit to Anya for reading the attempt at a header back.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

There was no need of a shout from Frankie, the ball didn't have enough pace for Fielding to have to shout for it, where he was Flint should have only been thinking of heading the ball away from goal, he was far too far out so be heading back to the box from there, let alone with a little flick.

Responsibility for the goal is solely on Flint, with some credit to Anya for reading the attempt at a header back.

I agree Flint is 100% at fault for the goal whichever way you look at it. But if Frank could see that Anya was making that run then a shout of "away" wouldn't have gone amiss.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Where I agree with you is that if you get no shout from the keeper then you head it away and ask questions later. But I would still want my keeper to be communicating in that situation if I was a Manager.

I do, but I want the keeper and the defender to always in that situation to be 'bang it forward'. If it comes back then the attack, then midfield, then defence, the goalkeeper have questions to answer. To do what Flint did will 1 time in 100 result in suicide, but they are unnecessary odds. 

5 minutes ago, screech said:

He was very good today apart from one error that cost us a goal. Shame that's all people will talk about.

He defended well enough today but his error is the third or fourth in the last three games. All players make mistakes but to make so many is a worry to some fans. That's what the complaints are about.

Poor old Flinty. I'm a big fan, as I think I may have pointed out. He did lots right today - for those of you not there, all the usual stuff - but got that header horribly wrong having got the exact same back-header right a few minutes before. Was he at fault for the goal? Yes, probably. Did he do much else wrong? No, not really. But, on balance, these past 8 days he is not looking the solid centre-half he has been for 26 months. There were shades of us looking like L1 O'Driscoll at times today (and remember we had Frank, Little, Reid, Pack, Flint, Wilbs, Freeman, Bryan on the pitch - what a L1 bunch!) but we took a point off Derby (who seem to be sinking like a stone).

Overall, given Ekstrand's lack of fitness, I'm not sure it's worth dropping Flinty just yet. he is the type who could work through this. that said, O'Donnell seems to have been dropped for one mistake, so are there double standards at play? Who bloody knows. 

But Flinty had better sort it out, for sure, or else some of us - me, primarily- are gonna look prize turkeys.

Come on Flinty, lad!

1 minute ago, screech said:

99% of his performance was good, why don't we talk about that instead.

Because that 1% cost us 2 points?

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I agree Flint is 100% at fault for the goal whichever way you look at it. But if Frank could see that Anya was making that run then a shout of "away" wouldn't have gone amiss.

He shouldn't have been thinking of doing that header to start with, not from his position.

People are getting far too carried away with this. Absolutely no way he should be dropped. He was very good today apart from the mistake.

Not sure in anyone was listening to 'Ian' on radio Bristol after the match? Wasn't even at the game yet was calling for Flint to be dropped. Pretty embarrassing to make those comments and that type of thing doesn't help. I always thought some of his opinions were a little bit....well different shall we say, but today was ridiculous. Flint plays all day long for me.

10 minutes ago, screech said:

He was very good today apart from one error that cost us a goal. Shame that's all people will talk about.

But that's all it takes and what is the tally in the last three games, particularly when ROD gets dropped. 

Like I said above, Flint has spells of incomprehensible mistakes. I think he's entering that and needs a rest. Hurts to say because I really rate him as a CB, but he needs out of the firing line and to regroup. It's reminiscent of watching his first season here. Deja vu in the extreme. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Because that 1% cost us 2 points?

It never cost us two points, that's not true at all.

It's a team game, win, lose or draw, mistakes will always be made, 99% of his game was good.

If he was having a Liam Fontaine period where his confidence was completely shot, I would say drop him, but he's still a very good defender.

Having now seen Ekstrand play I completely understand why LJ is keeping faith with Flint.

I know he has been out of first team football for 18 months but boy did he look well off the pace.

Anytime anyone ran at him he was in trouble and well before half time he appeared to be labouring badly when running.

On that evidence and bearing in mind that Flint was very good, (one mistake excepted) we need to keep him in the side.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Having now seen Ekstrand play I completely understand why LJ is keeping faith with Flint.

I know he has been out of first team football for 18 months but boy did he look well off the pace.

Anytime anyone ran at him he was in trouble and well before half time he appeared to be labouring badly when running.

On that evidence and bearing in mind that Flint was very good, (one mistake excepted) we need to keep him in the side.

Johnson talked after about sticking Ekstrand in the U23's for a couple of games to get him back up to speed. Sounds like a plan to me. 18 months is a hell of a long time not to play matches. No surprise at all that he looked rusty. Just hope that one or two of our less educated supporters haven't written him off already.

1 minute ago, screech said:

It never cost us two points, that's not true at all.

It's a team game, win, lose or draw, mistakes will always be made, 99% of his game was good.

If he was having a Liam Fontaine period where his confidence was completely shot, I would say drop him, but he's still a very good defender.

Perhaps saying it 100% cost us the points is unfair, but the fault of the goal we conceded, in a 1-1 draw, was Aden Flint's. Mistakes were made throughout the game by every single player, but only one of them meant we conceded. 

What would have happened if he didn't make that mistake no one knows, but take their goal away from the scoreline and it is a 1-0 win.

14 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Depends where his head is. As we saw with Fontaine, leaving an out of form CB in the firing line can have disastrous consequences.

It can indeed but removing said player can also have disastrous consequences. 

Who'd be a manager eh? 

I had previously asked for Ekstrand to come in but seeing him today I would suggest he is a few weeks off so we should keep going with Flint and let him work through it in the league games as he is still our warrior and leader at the back and his head is not dropping.

I would like to see him sitting out on Tuesday though as a perfect chance to let Moore have a go - even if only for a half - the only fit squad player who has not had any minutes I believe?!

Keep him in, for every error he got ten times as many right. We have had a tough few games with a team that are still gelling. Let them gel rather than churning them up again. Flint will be his biggest critic, let him deal with himself rather than us all getting on his back. If we show we don't want him there will be many teams who would take him like a shot. 

Archived