IGNORED

Just back...

Olé

33 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

RE Adam Matthews "Still looks unfit and uniterested" .......its his second game of the season for us mate, for christs sake....and lets ignore the fact he was extremely good going foward for us when on loan last season.

I understand, but the game we play you want some signs of life going forward - I assume LJ thought he was fit enough but he didn't exceed comfort zone for me.

Contrast with Little who ran himself into the ground and tried some things that worked and some that didn't. Am sure Matthews has more to give, but even at part fitness he's got to be looking to actually influence the match. The positive today versus his last game at Wycombe was that players weren't passing him by for dead. Today Fulham were a poor team and he didn't seem able to take the game to them. Others did. See: Little, Goldbourne.

3 minutes ago, stogursey red said:

To soon to be writing Matthews off I think, he had no preseason and has not had a run off games yet, would think he must be 3-4 weeks off full fitness, but hopefully we will see the best of him in the games that really count from December onwards

Squad game so you could be right. Season only just started.

Just back also and what a great night. First half clearly City untidy, loose passes and hardly a shot on goal until Wilbrahams equaliser.  yet again you assume Lj has worked his magic as second half was a pleasure to watch putting the penalty to one side. Really good interlink play and movement. Tammy is such a good player and he already links up so well it must be frightening for opposition. 

Big plusses for me was singing freeman's on fire and seeing how much it meant to him at the end...shows how fans can influence in the right way rather than constant barrating.

And secondly the fans...take a big bow ..sung for near on 90 minutes and great turn out for a mid week game before playing them again on Saturday...very funny singing can we play you twice a week.

The Little for Matthews substitution was another great call from LJ.

For whatever reason Matthews was not getting forward enough and having Little as an attacking full back seemed to create space for us to play our football across the rest of the park.

A great second half display and a winnable tie in the next round. About time we had a decent cup run! 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

(But only to the pub).

Totally deserved, ran the second half.

Thought we settled slowly and didn't string much together or have anything through the middle in the first half and they played with more purpose on the break and at greater speed with the ball than us.

Second half total opposite, Freeman, Little, Goldbourne all taking on players and getting the ball in the box. There was so much more idea and purpose, which was only enhanced by the 'first team' subs.

Penalty was against the run of play and to a poor team who in all honesty we didn't get hold of in the first half. Thank god Lucic saved or we'd be talking about another Rotherham style give away to a nothing team (also with no fans).

Wilbraham missed two relatively clear goal scoring chances and Freeman was saved well when put through one on one by a brilliant touch by Tammy, so it was really only a matter of time before the winner and much more fun in injury time, in front of the away end and in front of Tammys family.

Confession time - I thought after Matthews (who still looks unfit and uninterested with no appetite to go forward) I thought O'Dowda was our weakest player, yet he goes on to setup both goals. He didn't get the ball down and run, didn't get stuck in, and looked a little shy throughout. In fact first half he was neither an outlet left wing nor right wing and it was his first touch when told to have a go through the (empty) middle, that setup our first. His second assist was more about the pace his teammates played the ball into him and wanted to move. Great ball in both cases but more needed from him to be first team.

Also thought Pack was loose first half and Brownhill didn't get in the game. Second half can't fault anyone, played sharp one touch passing, took players on, and believed in themselves (probably hard first half with so little playing time together).

Of the new faces I thought both were very positive. Moore what we expected, loves to play the ball out and only risk is he gets the pass wrong or mistimes tackle (see penalty) in his obvious enthusiasm to contribute. But one tackle second half was worthy of his namesake. Not a lot to judge Engvall on and probably not fit but didn't shy away from getting stuck in and looked like he could hold the ball up and spot a pass.

MOM would go to Freeman for the amount he does albeit not always remembering to take the ball with him, although Little made a hell of a difference coming on (both full backs were different class second half) and Tammy is so far ahead of most players on the pitch even for 20 minutes, it's frightening.

Hull is not much of a reward.

Lucic 6

Matthews 4 (Little 7)

Goldbourne 7

Flint 7

Moore 7

Pack 6

Brownhill 6

Freeman 7

O'Dowda 6

Engvall 5 (Abraham 9)

Wilbraham 7 (Reid 6)

I agree with most of your summary but I'd swap your ratings for Freeman and O'Dowda.  Basically the nail on the head for me is that Freeman was very busy but ultimately went away with no assists and no real end product whereas O'Dowda didn't seem to do too much but what he did do tended to lead to goals.

I really enjoy watching Freeman and I agree with hantsred about how much the singing meant to him and how lovely that was to see but ultimately, for his all tricks and endeavour, there seem to be so few concrete results and sadly I do question whether he's really bringing enough to the table. 

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with most of your summary but I'd swap your ratings for Freeman and O'Dowda.  Basically the nail on the head for me is that Freeman was very busy but ultimately went away with no assists and no real end product whereas O'Dowda didn't seem to do too much but what he did do tended to lead to goals.

I really enjoy watching Freeman and I agree with hantsred about how much the singing meant to him and how lovely that was to see but ultimately, for his all tricks and endeavour, there seem to be so few concrete results and sadly I do question whether he's really bringing enough to the table. 

How did Freeman show he liked the song? Saw a video on Instagram of it, looked a good turnout and atmosphere

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How did Freeman show he liked the song? Saw a video on Instagram of it, looked a good turnout and atmosphere

He was first over to applaud fans and pretty much the last to leave.

I don't think Freeman is back fully yet but there are signs that he has his confidence back and the fans backing tonight can only help.

1 hour ago, Acton Red said:

Just back from the match also. City fans were immense and noisy all match.

Lucic 8 ( he saved a penalty for chrissake)

Moore 7 man does he look good, quick and reads the game telepathically and lovely distribution - silly penalty otherwise a 9

Golbourn 6 ( cross for goal from his side)

Matthews 7 lovely touches, not fit

flint 7 solid and NO harum scarum.

Pack 7 gave the ball away in silly place twice but great distribution

Brownhill 6 good solid tackling but didnt get up the pitch

freeman 8 unbelievable running and trickery. always an outlet - if only he had scored that goal

Wilbraham 8 our leader, great touch, great finish 

Engvall 6 still not fit

Odowda 8 very quiet until 44 minute and then a reall handful and great tackling

Abraham 9 changed the game and gave everyone confidence

Bobby Reid 7

I'd echo this but with a point off for the clearly not ready Matthews and maybe Freeman down to 7 for still not scoring despite all his tricks and speed and potential threat. How many games now? Anyone care to calculate.

Wilbs - and I never thought I'd say this - my MOTM. OK can't play 90 minutes any more, but showed us why he.s still with us. and in style.

On a personal level, I'm delighted to personally witness a win against the team supported by the biggest bellend I've ever worked for. 

7 hours ago, spudski said:

Got a gut feeling Matthews is the next Hunt.

Its you that I didn't want to hear this from-im just hoping that for whatever reasons he's still not fit(?),but I'm fighting a gut reaction there's more to it....seems to be not up for having to work for his first team shirt,just hope I'm wrong as he has the raw material.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd echo this but with a point off for the clearly not ready Matthews and maybe Freeman down to 7 for still not scoring despite all his tricks and speed and potential threat. How many games now? Anyone care to calculate.

Wilbs - and I never thought I'd say this - my MOTM. OK can't play 90 minutes any more, but showed us why he.s still with us. and in style.

On a personal level, I'm delighted to personally witness a win against the team supported by the biggest bellend I've ever worked for. 

You worked for Michael Jackson  ? :blink:

6 hours ago, hantsred said:

He was first over to applaud fans and pretty much the last to leave.

I don't think Freeman is back fully yet but there are signs that he has his confidence back and the fans backing tonight can only help.

Amazing what a decent haircut can do for you!   Wasn't at game last night but I thought he.made a difference when he came on on Saturday and got some early crosses into the box.  

Nothing to confirm this but I suspect LJ and the coaches have been working hard with him to improve his effectiveness.  If we see the same kind of improvement and growth in confidence we have seen with Bobby Reid, then we will have ourselves a good player again.  I like the fact LJ is sticking with him and good to hear the crowd chanting his.name which must work wonders.  We'll done lads.

Freeman had some family/friends down at the front of the stand that he went to greet/chat with. Although he did give a good ovation and as others have said, he seemingly applauded the song, it was probably more to do with his friends in the stand that he hung around so long.

Mark Little was superb last night and I have been critical in the past so hopefully he will ultimately prove me hopelessly wrong.

Tammy's very first touch of the match was a crazy back heeled control from a long ball which took him past a defender and towards the box. If he meant it which I'm sure he did, it was fantastic. Shame he didn't quite get the cross right afterwards but again, he was a joy to watch. 

For me the ratings are;

Lucic 8 - good penalty save, couldn't do much about the goal, not much else to do

Matthews 5 - some good calm distribution from the back but constantly got caught by the diagonal ball and I think was at fault for the goal.

Little 7 - good running, great perseverance which makes up for lack of natural ability. His touch let him down a few times though. 

Flint 7 - Pretty solid, only one mistake which Moore recovered.

Moore 7 - couple of solid tackles and reads the game very well. Some sloppy passes but also some excellent ones.

Golbourne 7 - No support from the wingers. Up and down well. Always a decent performance. 

Pack 6 - Can be harsh rating on him but I know he can play a lot better. Not as physically imposing as other games. Steady on the ball though.

Brownhill 6 - Very quiet first half, a lot better second. Some good little passes, kept our game flowing in the second half.

Freeman 7 - some good runs, should of scored though. Tricky feet but end product let down as usual on too many times to have a brilliant performance

O'Dowda 7 - Not tracking back enough and helping Matthews first half. Moving to the left he was much improved for the second half. Some brilliant balls into the box. Combine his end product with Freemans run and we'd have one hell of a player.

Engvall 5 - hardly a peep out of him first half, second half held the ball up well before being subbed.

Tammy 8 - Quality player. Some touches to take the incoming ball away from his man were sublime. Snatched a few chances though but so good for his age.

Wilbs 7 - held the ball up so well , lots of great runs in first half. Cheeky dink for the goal but due to missing two sitters (should at least hit the target) he's a 7 not a 9.

Reid 6 - one or two good passes but overall quite quiet.

Looking at the highlights I thought Freeman was really unlucky not to score. Although the keeper did well to reduce his options,  I don't think he knew much about the save and a slightly smaller deflection would have seen it end up in the net.

Shame because the build up to the chance was excellent.

It's not even Matthews fitness which worries me but his total lake of any desire, just doesnlt look like he wants to be here.

Though he was terrible in the first half & I would have hooked him too, Litts had a really good second half & effort wise puts him to shame.

Agree with the Freeman comments, I actually thought he responded to the song, there was a spring in his step & was really unlucky not to score. Getting back to one of those players you really enjoy watching.

Finally, the biggest smile of the night goes to Moore at the final whistle, top player, silly mistake for the penalty but no harm done. His family where there too & he looks to be loving life here.

Can't wait to see more of him... which is why we need to stay in cup competitions to keep our squad players happy!

@Ian M I've watched Lucic play for the U23's...he looks like a very assured Keeper to me. He does everything well...Keepers imo, have to rule their area, and make the defence feel assured and relaxed. They have an 'air' about them.... a 'presence'. They make you feel safe and allow you to concentrate on your game without worry.

I know FF has his fans on here...but he just gives me the jitters. I know he's a fantastic shot stopper...but there is so much more to the game as a Keeper than just saving shots.

I was reading an article about what coach's abroad are looking for in a GK these days...interestingly, they want them to be a footballer first. They are looking for keepers that can play football on the ground, just as well as any of the other defenders. It's something they have been coaching for a while more so.

It's one of my biggest frustrations...watching GK's who can't kick a ball properly or pick out a pass. A fundamental in my book.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking at the highlights I thought Freeman was really unlucky not to score. Although the keeper did well to reduce his options,  I don't think he knew much about the save and a slightly smaller deflection would have seen it end up in the net.

Shame because the build up to the chance was excellent.

Freeman needs a goal and then will hopefully relax. It was a poor shot in reality; looked like he tried to hit it to the keepers right but dragged the shot back towards the keeper who did nothing more than stand his ground.

11 hours ago, samo II said:

This has been a running theme across this past month; get the impression Little has been given the challenge to raise his game and taken it.

Very encouraging for me that we seems to have a coaching staff/management/mentality currently that can turn even our less 'headline' players in to important contributors.

Yea I don't get the little hate. He had a rough year last year but is a solid fullback at this level. People rate Derby's RB quite highly(Christie) I've seen him twice do no more than Mark does just a bit bigger as a  RB. Don't think I've seen a RB as good as Matthews was for us the last 6-7 games of last season in this league though. Little is more than good enough for us at the moment. Upgrade to go further? Sure but you could say that at a few positions at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Strawberry2157. said:

It's not even Matthews fitness which worries me but his total lake of any desire, just doesnlt look like he wants to be here.

Though he was terrible in the first half & I would have hooked him too, Litts had a really good second half & effort wise puts him to shame.

Agree with the Freeman comments, I actually thought he responded to the song, there was a spring in his step & was really unlucky not to score. Getting back to one of those players you really enjoy watching.

Finally, the biggest smile of the night goes to Moore at the final whistle, top player, silly mistake for the penalty but no harm done. His family where there too & he looks to be loving life here.

Can't wait to see more of him... which is why we need to stay in cup competitions to keep our squad players happy!

Echo everything you've said.

Also when Moore made an error early in the game Flint was the first one to him and give him a hefty pat on his chest/shoulder to say don't worry, keep going. I just wanted someone to have done that to Flint for the couple of games he lost his way in. And at the final whistle Flint clapping the fans and patting his heart/badge, think that lays any doubt to bed now.

Yes Freeman looked good and deserved a goal, showed much less stopovers and was more direct, more urgency to him and not afraid to work hard to get the ball. Little too was very positive and I'm not a particular fan, but was much happier with him than Matthews.

Archived