IGNORED

lucic penalty save

Acton Red

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

was stood much nearer the left post than the middle, leaving the right hand side unprotected. then once the run up was started moved central to save the penalty heading to the previously empty right side of the goal

We all questioned the space he was leaving but it worked. Fair play to him, good debut!

11 hours ago, Acton Red said:

He says he has tried it in training against Tammy and he never scores. has anyone seen a keeper try that tactic before?

Yet half the "experts" on here thought Tammy should have taken the penalty at Sheffield..! 

Anyone would think that professional footballers planned & prepared for these things! 

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

If any keeper does this to you then straight down the middle and off the floor so his legs don't save it. The keeper will always dive if their arsing about like that.

Statistically speaking the best thing for a keeper to do is stand still but they won't do it because they fear looking stupid when the ball goes in the corner.

16 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Statistically speaking the best thing for a keeper to do is stand still but they won't do it because they fear looking stupid when the ball goes in the corner.

Incomparable really, that's the best chance because the players expect him to dive. If no keepers dived, players would do different tactics and then the outcome would be different again.

19 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Incomparable really, that's the best chance because the players expect him to dive. If no keepers dived, players would do different tactics and then the outcome would be different again.

Certainly if all keepers stood still all of the time then the striker would just roll the ball into the corner but given that the keeper is still allowed to move it would have to be struck with enough force and close enough to the corner that the keeper couldn't get there if he moved after the ball was struck, which would increase the chance of missing completely.

Surely you just place it exactly where he is stood - if you have the nads that is - will make the keeper look a right tool presuming he does move to cover the space.

Interesting though - I can see how it would mess with the striker.  He probably has the ability to put it right in the corner but when there is that much room you come in 4 foot to be absolutely safe and the one step to the right and dive does the rest - gutsy :clap:

5 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Still have Basso as my favourite. Well do I remember him.leaving his line to shake hands and bless the penalty taker. Believe he then went back and prayed to the heavens, asking the Holy Ghost for advice. Apparently the Holy Ghost told him to go to his left.

I met basso at a player and sponsor evening and I asked him how he knew he was going to his left, he told me that God told him to dive that way and he saved it. I  told him I normally look in their eyes and it works. Don't think he was too impressed

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Surely you just place it exactly where he is stood - if you have the nads that is - will make the keeper look a right tool presuming he does move to cover the space.

Interesting though - I can see how it would mess with the striker.  He probably has the ability to put it right in the corner but when there is that much room you come in 4 foot to be absolutely safe and the one step to the right and dive does the rest - gutsy :clap:

If you're prepared for it, you're probably right.  But obviously having not seen Lucic at a penalty before, Woodrow didn't have time to think it out.

It reminded me of something I was reading last week - statistically the best thing to do with a penalty is to whack it straight down the middle but players tend not to whack it straight down the middle because it looks ridiculous if they miss.   I suspect psychological quirk was at hand with what Lucic did.  IF Woodrow had hit where Lucic was standing and Lucic hadn't moved Woodroow would have looked an utter chump. 

Archived