IGNORED

lucic penalty save

Acton Red

20 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I know it's only local football but a keeper done it to me once in a penalty shootout and I missed , I was the regular penalty taker as well and didn't miss many but it really messed with my head . 

I think it's a fairly common practice for keepers to stand slightly off centre in the hope of improving their guess-rate as to where the player will put it, but I've never seen it so exaggerated as Lucic.

19 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

was stood much nearer the left post than the middle, leaving the right hand side unprotected. then once the run up was started moved central to save the penalty heading to the previously empty right side of the goal

Back in the day the keeper wasn't allowed to move before the ball was kicked, let alone move along the line.  Good tactic, anything to break the penalty takers routine it thought processes.

Simple but effective double bluff.

keeper shows the space, striker try's to make keeper think he'll go opposite direction yet shoots for the space anyway, playing right into keepers hands.

having to work all that out as you're taking the penalty will certainly be off putting as you need to be assured and confident to take a good pen.

wonder if he learnt that of Neuer?...

Archived