IGNORED

LJ

Esmond Million's Bung

Here you go @Griffin

Adam Matthews has cut out fizzy drinks in a bid to return to his very best form for Bristol City in the Championship.

When the loan signing from Sunderland was sidelined by a hamstring injury last month, City head coach Lee Johnson decided to draw up a fitness programme for the Wales international right-back.

Since recovering, the 24-year-old has been training three times and day, while he has taken advice from the club's team of sports scientists regarding his diet.

Read more: Even Fulham could not dampen Tammy Abraham's spirits at Craven Cottage

image: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276268/binaries/matthewsding5.jpg

matthewsding5.jpg

And the Welshman has had to eradicate fizzy drinks from his diet in a quest to rediscover his best form.

Head coach Johnson revealed: "Adam has worked very hard and now looks as though he is in good nick. He has lost a bit of timber and is moving well, which is good news.

Read more: Johnson pays Taylor Moore ultimate compliment by comparing him to legendary Sir Bobby Moore

"We gave him three sessions a day and really went strong on his diet, cutting out the sugary drinks. Everybody is different. Some people might get the munchies at 9pm and consume 400 Maltesers, like me, or others might have an addiction to Coca Cola. It's a case of re-educating players to put the right things inside their bodies.

"Certainly Adam Matthews, when fully fit, is one of the best right-backs in the division, and we want to get him back to that. It's not a punishment thing, it's us saying we love you and we will do our very best to help you.

Read more: Penalty hero Ivan Lucic on how he psyched out Woodrow - but he didn't learn it from Manuel Neuer

"Our sports scientists told me he was ready, he told me he was ready and the Fulham game gave me the chance to chuck him back in."

image: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276268/binaries/flinemate4.jpg

flinemate4.jpg

Having shed the pounds, Matthews made his comeback in Wednesday's 2-1 EFL Cup win against Fulham at Craven Cottage. He played 45 minutes, but was substituted at half time as a precaution.

Johnson explained: "There was no recurrence of the injury, just the muscle getting fatigued in what was a tough game. I'd have liked him to get 60 minutes but, in the end, I felt the right thing to do was take him off at half time.

Read more: Dean Windass started full-blown warfare on Twitter and City fans responded in best way!

"I saw him feel his hamstring and I didn't want to take any risks with him. I think it was a good decision to make the change when I did.

"I want to keep everybody match fit and, the good thing as far as Adam is concerned, is that he has got the monkey off his back as far as playing again is concerned."

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/there-s-no-fizz-in-adam-matthews-life-as-he-bids-to-win-back-starting-place-at-bristol-city/story-29741699-detail/story.html#vzV9ZSt9bcrDlg6W.99

I find it utterly astounding that a grown man, who has represented his country has to be told by a 'sports scientist' that 'fizzy drinks' are fattening!

Surely the player himself has to take some responsibility for his own diet, as a full time professional football player?

Well done LJ and City - but c'mon Adam - it's not Rocket Science!

6 hours ago, SX227 said:

I find it utterly astounding that a grown man, who has represented his country has to be told by a 'sports scientist' that 'fizzy drinks' are fattening!

Surely the player himself has to take some responsibility for his own diet, as a full time professional football player?

Well done LJ and City - but c'mon Adam - it's not Rocket Science!

Maybe so but addiction is addiction. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fizzy drinks are do not change your mood. 

No but they illicit a hormonal response, which is the trigger of addiction. Ingest sugar --> rise in blood sugar levels --> insulin spiked --> blood sugar levels crash --> body craves sugar. 

"I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle." Fat Bastard, 1999.

35 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Says who?  You an expert?  I wouldn't normally quote the Telegraph but:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/healthy-eating/11-reasons-to-stop-drinking-fizzy-drinks/

There's a huge difference between an eating disorder and an addiction. Both cause psychological changes but in different ways.

Clearly any over use of virtually anything is harmful. Dairy products, chocolate, red meat...the list I endless.Fizzy drinks are in excess are no different.

Drugs like nicotine, opiates and alcohol cause physical dependence which on cessation causes with drawl symptoms.

Fizzy drinks do not cause physical dependence, nor do they cause an altered mood state.

Having spent almost 30 years as an addiction counsellor I do know a great deal about it. Unlike the person who wrote the article it would seem.

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Too true. Mars bars were a foot long as well and cost a farthing for two.

And what about Curly Wurly's heh? They were as long as my shin when i was 6 now they are shorter than my foot. Absolutely shameless these food makers; they think as we get older we won't notice. Duhhhhh.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

There's a huge difference between an eating disorder and an addiction. Both cause psychological changes but in different ways.

Clearly any over use of virtually anything is harmful. Dairy products, chocolate, red meat...the list I endless.Fizzy drinks are in excess are no different.

Drugs like nicotine, opiates and alcohol cause physical dependence which on cessation causes with drawl symptoms.

Fizzy drinks do not cause physical dependence, nor do they cause an altered mood state.

Having spent almost 30 years as an addiction counsellor I do know a great deal about it. Unlike the person who wrote the article it would seem.

Nail on the head, an addiction is physical and will cause withdrawal. I am going through it with benzodiazepine tapering as we speak, and its hell on earth. Fizzy drinks are NOT an addiction if you actually use the context of 'addiction' correctly.

3 minutes ago, BookEnd said:

Nail on the head, an addiction is physical and will cause withdrawal. I am going through it with benzodiazepine tapering as we speak, and its hell on earth. Fizzy drinks are NOT an addiction if you actually use the context of 'addiction' correctly.

Good luck and stay strong.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Don't a fair few fizzy drinks contain caffeine?

Caffeine is addictive no?

14 minutes ago, BookEnd said:

Benzo addiction was common place in my former line of work and we often had to ease people off them by reducing their dosage fairly rapidly down to around 10mgs a day. Then gradually reduced the dosage 2mgs at a time until they were on the just 2ml a day. Bear in mind that benzodiazepines have a relatively short half life - around 8 hours getting the patient off that last 2mgs was the hardest part.....

Throughout the detox and afterwards we worked with them to develop atlternative ways of coping with anxiety by using their own cognitive resources. 

You will get free of them so stay strong.

2 minutes ago, Malago said:

Apparently even sugar free coke causes weight gain, although it's not been established why.

Very difficult to prove it's that alone if imagine, more likely those of the larger variety choosing an easy option to make it look like they're doing something whilst still pigging out.

Archived