IGNORED

Ruby Derby crowd..?

Bar BS3

Apologies if I've missed it, but the pre-season talk was predicting possibly bigger crowds for the Egg chasing than City games this season. Not even close so far. 

We were told by those of an odd balled persuasion that certain fixtures, including tonight's game Vs Exeter would be massive, if not sellout crowds. 

Well, what attendance are they expecting? I've seen nothing about a sell out tonight. 

Surely such a "Rugby orientated" city as ours should have a good 20/25k crowd tonight..?

36 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Imagine spending your Friday obsessing about rugby attendances.

For what it's worth I thought the 11k v Saints was disappointing and less than 15k will be a shame tonight. 

Whose obsessing..?

I heard about the game tonight on the radio and wondered if they were anywhere near the big gates that were predicted my some on here for a West Country Derby against last seasons league runners up. 

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Don't remember anyone saying the rugby would get bigger attendances than the football.

I do remember people saying that the local derbies against Gloucester and Bath would pull in 25k and I would think and hope that they will.

Only one home game so far and there was 11,330 for that one with around 14/15k expected for tonight - not bad at all.

I think there plenty of Rugby fans and gas heads who claimed that the Rugby crowds will be much bigger than ours.

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

I think there plenty of Rugby fans and gas heads who claimed that the Rugby crowds will be much bigger than ours.

And on here from some dual season ticket holders who said there would be several Rugby sellout games and this was one of those that were highlighted. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Whose obsessing..?

I heard about the game tonight on the radio and wondered if they were anywhere near the big gates that were predicted my some on here for a West Country Derby against last seasons league runners up. 

It's on a Friday night, it's on TV and Bristol have had a poor start to the season.

I talked up Bristol's likely crowds for this season but never thought Exeter would be one of the bigger ones. Wait till it's Gloucester and Bath - they're the biggies.

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's on a Friday night, it's on TV and Bristol have had a poor start to the season.

I talked up Bristol's likely crowds for this season but never thought Exeter would be one of the bigger ones. Wait till it's Gloucester and Bath - they're the biggies.

They are indeed, but let's not downplay Exeter either: it is still a very attractive game. I certainly thought there'd be a lot more for this one, albeit nothing like the 2 you've mentioned. 

With Rugby often - not dissimilar to football - you have local teams playing at the same time and school kids too. This severely restricts crowds but far more disproportionately for Rugby. A Friday night is often the most attractive fixture for attendees irrespective of whether it is on TV or not. I have no doubt all involved in Bristol will be seriously disappointed with tonight's turnout. If they're not, they ought be. 

29 minutes ago, 29AR said:

They are indeed, but let's not downplay Exeter either: it is still a very attractive game. I certainly thought there'd be a lot more for this one, albeit nothing like the 2 you've mentioned. 

With Rugby often - not dissimilar to football - you have local teams playing at the same time and school kids too. This severely restricts crowds but far more disproportionately for Rugby. A Friday night is often the most attractive fixture for attendees irrespective of whether it is on TV or not. I have no doubt all involved in Bristol will be seriously disappointed with tonight's turnout. If they're not, they ought be. 

True.

Simple fact is though for all that "Bristol is predominantly a rugby city" stuff trotted out, particularly in the local media, it clearly isn't.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

True.

Simple fact is though for all that "Bristol is predominantly a rugby city" stuff trotted out, particularly in the local media, it clearly isn't.

Indeed. I mean it's not like Exeter are a biggie - except runners up last year meanwhile Bristol threatened a decade in the championship. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

True.

It is tho. Bristol's 'poor' opening day crowd was still higher than Bath's or Exeter 's. 

Anyway at this rate they're heading for 7/8k crowds next season down in the C'ship

Archived