IGNORED

Ruby Derby crowd..?

Bar BS3

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is tho. Bristol's 'poor' opening day crowd was still higher than Bath's or Exeter 's. 

Anyway at this rate they're heading for 7/8k crowds next season down in the C'ship

Surely Bath's crowds are limited by the limited size of their stadium.

I don't see how you can make a case for Bristol being predominantly a rugby city when our crowds are clearly consistently bigger than theirs. The only games where that will be threatened are when two local teams can both bring as many as they want, and therefore it's an unfair comparison.

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's not a bad crowd. Especially with such a low number of season tickets having been sold. 

But you can't ignore a significant number of rugby attendees cannot attend because they play whilst many games are going on. Rugby season tickets - at the prices Bristol charged - did not appeal to these attendees. POTD for a game that could be attended, like Friday night irrespective of TV, would always be impressive. I disagree that the overall number is though. A few thousand off impressive imo. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

But you can't ignore a significant number of rugby attendees cannot attend because they play whilst many games are going on. Rugby season tickets - at the prices Bristol charged - did not appeal to these attendees. POTD for a game that could be attended, like Friday night irrespective of TV, would always be impressive. I disagree that the overall number is though. A few thousand off impressive imo. 

Fair points. Although do any more people play rugby than play football whilst matches are on..?

You are probably right that being a Friday night increased the POTD attendance and I'm not sure you can entirely discount the local rugby "community" that they get. I imagine most local clubs clubhouses would have been busy with people watching on TV, whilst putting money over their own bars. 

Still, it has to be one of Bristol's largest ever home league game attendances ever, so that has to be a positive..? 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Surely Bath's crowds are limited by the limited size of their stadium.

I don't see how you can make a case for Bristol being predominantly a rugby city when our crowds are clearly consistently bigger than theirs. The only games where that will be threatened are when two local teams can both bring as many as they want, and therefore it's an unfair comparison.

I should have read Graham's post more carefully. The usual line is that 'the west country is a rugby hot bed' which I think is fair comment, but I certainly wouldn't suggest Bristol on its own is predominantly a rugby city. 

4/12 Prem clubs are west Country tho which is a much better showing than the football! 

Bottom line is Bristol's average crowd will be up there as one of the highest come the seasons end. So in rugby terms they get good crowds.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Whose obsessing..?

I heard about the game tonight on the radio and wondered if they were anywhere near the big gates that were predicted my some on here for a West Country Derby against last seasons league runners up. 

Really?  I missed that, I was to overwhelmed by the amount of points Exeter scored

15k at AG tonight. Exeter brought a large following and made themselves heard with the Indian drums. Very impressive they were,

Screens up and working and the South/Lansdown one is twice the size of the opposite one.

The sound system has finally been fixed - it was clear, crisp and even.

As for the game - men's against boys. Bristol were dire in the first 20mins. Weak tackling, poor kicking and out muscled and deservedly well out the game by half time,

Slightly better second half but still way short of Premiership standard. If they carry on like this they'll be back in the Chanpionship next season.

Not much hope next week - Harlequins are next up. Another stuffing is on the cards,

40 minutes ago, Neo said:

I snuck in with 10 minutes left as picking up daughter and looked decent enough crowd and screens were impressive!!

And there was a fight in the South Stand - at rugby !! WTF !!

Couldn't believe it... There was a massive brawl... Went on for a good 5 minutes... Various fans tumbling over the seats... Certainly did not expect that at the end of game.

44 minutes ago, Neo said:

If there's any justice in the world, I fully expect several grown men in hi-vis to film Bristol supporters endlessly now on a camcorder for the rest of their lives.

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

If there's any justice in the world, I fully expect several grown men in hi-vis to film Bristol supporters endlessly now on a camcorder for the rest of their lives.

And the culprits will be banned from all rugby games for the rest of eternity.

Still, gentlemen watching the thug's game.

29 minutes ago, Natchlander said:

Couldn't believe it... There was a massive brawl... Went on for a good 5 minutes... Various fans tumbling over the seats... Certainly did not expect that at the end of game.

I take it that they'll all be banned for life..? 

34 minutes ago, Natchlander said:

It wasn't a "massive brawl" otherwise we would have had a clear view of it from Lansdown stand. We heard some booing and looked over to the SS and saw two stewards in vis jackets making their way up to where the trouble was - not in any particular hurry either. 

Whether the booing was aimed at the stewards or the guys who kicked off I don't know.

Big fuss about nothing as far as I could tell.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I snuck in with 10 minutes left as picking up daughter and looked decent enough crowd and screens were impressive!!

10 minutes ago, Natchlander said:

The booing took place well after it was going off...  The guy I was with was really appalled with it and never seen anything like it before in all his years of following Bristol rugby. 

Doesn't he watch the games? 

Regardless of what went on in the stands, tonight was embarrassing for a gate of 15k to completely break Ashton Gates capacity as a functioning refreshment offering stadium. 

20-30 minute queues for drinks in Lansdown stand. Shambles. One server of Butcombe. Closing tills whilst queues are in front. 

The perpetuation of this absolute farcical "5/6 individual queues" per concession stand?! That is the biggest pisstake. Everything else is learning. To have forced queues whilst one person ahead of you may order a pie or might order 8 pints... the variation in delay is ridiculous. 

@mkelly (guessing name!) this is the main fix for tonight 

Mentioned on Rugby forum. Allegedly some drunken Exeter fans on a stag night.

As usual, some of the"holier than thou" rugger fans claim straight away it's football fans. So I've had a go at them on behalf of all round ball fans who also follow the egg shaped game.

Bristol are struggling just as City did for the first half of last season. Promotion now to Premiership Rugby standard is extremely hard and made even worse by the club not being in a position to begin recruiting until after the pray-offs at end of May when most players are already contracted. Rumours around that they are trying to get some in from southern hemisphere by November. They need about three Lee Tomlins and three Gary O'Neil's. 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Screens up and working and the South/Lansdown one is twice the size of the opposite one.

The one in the Atyeo/Dolman corner is temporary so not surprising that it's considerably smaller. 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not much hope next week - Harlequins are next up. Another stuffing is on the cards,

Nope. Saracens next. But they're even better. 

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Apologies if I've missed it, but the pre-season talk was predicting possibly bigger crowds for the Egg chasing than City games this season. Not even close so far. 

We were told by those of an odd balled persuasion that certain fixtures, including tonight's game Vs Exeter would be massive, if not sellout crowds. 

Well, what attendance are they expecting? I've seen nothing about a sell out tonight. 

Surely such a "Rugby orientated" city as ours should have a good 20/25k crowd tonight..?

What a needlessly antagonistic post when all you wanted to ask was "what was the attendance for the Bristol game tonight?"

As something happened to you in the post to foster this attitude?

37 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What a needlessly antagonistic post when all you wanted to ask was "what was the attendance for the Bristol game tonight?"

As something happened to you in the post to foster this attitude?

Eh? 

Have you read the rest of the thread? What's antagonistic about it? 

It appears you are the one with the issues. 

Archived