IGNORED

20:33 Paddington

bs3

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

You're being flippant but it is only football fans.  Rugby fans don't (if this story is true then it's an extremely rare occurance).  Unfortunately football seems to attract thugs with low self esteem who need to prove something to themselves and their thuggish mates.

No it isn't... I've seen some angry confrontations and some punch-ups between some Wasps and Leicester/Northampton fans, Gloucester and Bath fans on trains in the past.

But I guess they were football fans posing as rugby fans right?

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

You're being flippant but it is only football fans.  Rugby fans don't (if this story is true then it's an extremely rare occurance).  Unfortunately football seems to attract thugs with low self esteem who need to prove something to themselves and their thuggish mates.

Obviously not if there was trouble Friday night. ..

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Are you really that naive to think only football fans play up? 

Bath played up in Leicester today, but rugby doesn't make headlines.

Exactly this, some of them should try coming back on a train from Gloucester when the rugby club have been playing at home. Alot of fans have been on the ale and are loud and obnoxious, just like some football fans, they have no real consideration for passengers who might want a quiet journey.

I think football just gets a bad rep because of the past but 99% of football fans are there to have a good day, there is definitely a minority in rugby and both codes... League and Union despite what some think

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Really? 30-40 people? Are you sure about that..?

We were in the Lansdown and saw absolutely nothing going on. If there had been brawl of 30-40 blokes we'd definitely seen something. 

We heard some booing and a saw a couple of weary looking stewards heading up the SS but that was it.

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

Are you really that naive to think only football fans play up? 

Bath played up in Leicester today, but rugby doesn't make headlines.

55 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

No it isn't... I've seen some angry confrontations and some punch-ups between some Wasps and Leicester/Northampton fans, Gloucester and Bath fans on trains in the past.

But I guess they were football fans posing as rugby fans right?

50 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Obviously not if there was trouble Friday night. ..

Compared to football it's very rare with little stewarding.  Imagine if there was no steward or police at football.  Mayhem!  

• Admin
41 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Compared to football it's very rare with little stewarding.  Imagine if there was no steward or police at football.  Mayhem!  

Just a blatant lie, perhaps stop believing all the headlines in the sun and learn about what goes on every week 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We were in the Lansdown and saw absolutely nothing going on. If there had been brawl of 30-40 blokes we'd definitely seen something. 

We heard some booing and a saw a couple of weary looking stewards heading up the SS but that was it.

There was a group of 20/25 marines on a stag do, they kicked off after the final whistle. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. ... 

Guess Bristol sport made their statement for no reason?

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

All part of a "good day out" for some people, unfortunately. 

No wonder we have to put up with condiscending attitudes from rugby fans when people can't just enjoy an exceptional away without ruining other people's trip. 

Some of em are cocky enough when sober,let alone 'on the soup'.....found myself at Fulham wishing I weren't in the 'company' of one or two little darlings.being lumped in with people you would normally reverse rapidly away from is I suppose an occupational hazard for genuine football fans,but far more sinister should you just happen to be on a train with your grandkids,and your nice day out/mindset is transformed in an instant.

3 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

There was a little scuffle at the rugby on Friday. By all accounts it was caused by a few ex marines from Exeter who had a skin full. Makes it even worse that it was alleged ex servicemen to be honest as you'd expect them to have more self control. The post that said 30-40 people was way off the mark. Any fighting at any sporting event is uncalled for, but the rugby lot do seem to be a little high and mighty when it comes to this. As someone pointed out before, rugby PLAYERS are extremely difficult to deal with compared to footballers when out on the piss and I have experience of dealing with both sorts (professional) in my previous job. In fact rugby boys when pissed are actually ****ing nauses....and I was a player when younger!

No jeans,no Marines.......

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

There was a group of 20/25 marines on a stag do, they kicked off after the final whistle. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. ... 

I didn't say it never happened Phantom. I said we never saw anything kick off during the game. I didn't know the fracas took place after the final whistle.

39 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Some of em are cocky enough when sober,let alone 'on the soup'.....found myself at Fulham wishing I weren't in the 'company' of one or two little darlings.being lumped in with people you would normally reverse rapidly away from is I suppose an occupational hazard for genuine football fans,but far more sinister should you just happen to be on a train with your grandkids,and your nice day out/mindset is transformed in an instant.

In all fairness and as Fod says below any train leaving an urban area from any city in any major western nation has the cocktail of drunk and disorderly groups who might easily antagonise each other or fellow passengers. Sport may play a part it may not. 

Try the last train out of London Bridge or Victoria heading to multiple stops toward the south coast for example... Packed with a drunken crowd that can easily turn a little scary to an average passenger.

12 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Is it not a reflection of what you can see any weekend in many towns or cities? 

There is a common denominator and It's nothing to do with any sporting interest.....

6 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Same thing happened after the Rovers v Chelsea match. I had the misfortune to be amongst the hoards on the last train back (I work in London) from Paddington and many were kicked off at Swindon. It was the last train so they had to say overnight apparently

Not surprised - Chelsea fans are well known for their anti-social behaviour.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I didn't say it never happened Phantom. I said we never saw anything kick off during the game. I didn't know the fracas took place after the final whistle.

You're funny.

It took place before the end of the game and lasted a few minutes.

A brawl and several side event saloon bar style punch ups, around 30+blokes all told.

Don't see why anybody would be in denial, it happened.

Why else would Mark Kelly make a statement that they will be looking at the CCTV.

6 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Same thing happened after the Rovers v Chelsea match. I had the misfortune to be amongst the hoards on the last train back (I work in London) from Paddington and many were kicked off at Swindon. It was the last train so they had to say overnight apparently

Overnight in Swindon is more than enough punishment.....

I think this is a not just a football fan problem as rugby can be as bad or as worse but don't take my word for It read what the transport police say about football vs rugby. However putting exforces lads out on a stag jolly will increase the chances of a few fists flying regardless of where they are, night club, rugby, football or where ever.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-launch-scathing-attack-middle-10891543

12 minutes ago, cider head said:

I think this is a not just a football fan problem as rugby can be as bad or as worse but don't take my word for It read what the transport police say about football vs rugby. However putting exforces lads out on a stag jolly will increase the chances of a few fists flying regardless of where they are, night club, rugby, football or where ever.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-launch-scathing-attack-middle-10891543

My dad always said policing 6 nations in Cardiff was one job he hated - Not because it was violent, but simply for the utter state people would drink themselves into.

When I was a student I worked at Temple Meads in a coffee bar on a Saturday, and of all the events Football was probably the least problematic. Weirdly, the beach race at Weston would probably attract the biggest amount of ***** traveling.

It's pretty clear to see that the moral high ground rugby fans have held over football fans is slowly eroding away. 

Of course historically football fans have caused more trouble, but many would argue the foundations of bravery, teamwork and respect for fellow supporters, officials and players in rugby isn't the same anymore. There certainly have been plenty of ugly incidents by players and fans alike over recent years.

I also read an article recently that policing major rugby events is costing police more than football matches, due to the fact that rugby fans drink more, for longer, and often cause more trouble.

But having said that, if you had the 'average' segregation and stewarding level at the average rugby game at the average football game, there would probably be more trouble at the football than rugby. 

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

It took place before the end of the game and lasted a few minutes.

A brawl and several side event saloon bar style punch ups, around 30+blokes all told.

Don't see why anybody would be in denial, it happened.

Why else would Mark Kelly make a statement that they will be looking at the CCTV.

Ffs Nick - what is it about me saying that we didn't see anything that don't you understand? 

None of us saw anything during or after the game but I'm not saying that there wasn't a brawl, obviously there was. It's just that we didn't see it. 

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

9 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

My dad always said policing 6 nations in Cardiff was one job he hated - Not because it was violent, but simply for the utter state people would drink themselves into.

When I was a student I worked at Temple Meads in a coffee bar on a Saturday, and of all the events Football was probably the least problematic. Weirdly, the beach race at Weston would probably attract the biggest amount of ***** traveling.

True, I also think with the corporate side it does attract the odd group on a jolly who it can be said are just out for a one off play up and where you probably won't see them again in the ground i.e: stag events, this happens a lot in night clubs but it is becoming more and more popular at sporting events like the races, rugby, football and cricket. The club may we'll be starting to realise this now as to be fair we have not catered for the corperate side of things on this large scale before.. as a former night club DJ and working in night clubs and pubs stag and hens can be a pain in the arse and they are being attracted to sporting events.

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

I've got a bit of an issue when it comes to rugby fans being well behaved. We were away at leicester in the cup a few years back, Tigers were playing same day...on the way back to the train station, me, the old man and my mate were happily chewing the game over when three rugby fans came up from behind and deliberately and aggressively shoulder barged my mate because we were all in colours and would have likely blamed it on my mate if we had kicked off. The worst thing is at that time I was a young teenage fat kid, my old man was in his 50's and the reason they went for my mate is because he was 19 and had a skin head. But that changed our mentality of Egg chasers, not the angels they make out to be at all!

3 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Exactly this, some of them should try coming back on a train from Gloucester when the rugby club have been playing at home. Alot of fans have been on the ale and are loud and obnoxious, just like some football fans, they have no real consideration for passengers who might want a quiet journey.

I think football just gets a bad rep because of the past but 99% of football fans are there to have a good day, there is definitely a minority in rugby and both codes... League and Union despite what some think

Same on trains from Bath to Trowbridge, Westbury and Frome after a Bath home game. Noisy and obnoxious. 

11 minutes ago, cider head said:

True, I also think with the corporate side it does attract the odd group on a jolly who it can be said are just out for a one off play up and where you probably won't see them again in the ground i.e: stag events, this happens a lot in night clubs but it is becoming more and more popular at sporting events like the races, rugby, football and cricket. The club may we'll be starting to realise this now as to be fair we have not catered for the corperate side of things on this large scale before.. as a former night club DJ and working in night clubs and pubs stag and hens can be a pain in the arse and they are being attracted to sporting events.

Bristol Sport must be on a sharp learning curve because never before has so much alcohol been sold/consumed inside Ashton Gate stadium on a match day, be it football or rugby.

The big problem for me is that if anything goes wrong like last Friday, it is the rugby or football club that gets the bad publicity even though the clubs are now only responsible for the playing side. Ticketing, refreshments, hospitality and stewarding are now the responsibility of a totally separate organisation to the two clubs. 

Archived