IGNORED

Another fantastic performance - now with added grit!

Olé

Although we were under a lot more pressure down the wings I thought we picked up where we left off on Saturday against a much better and fitter team. We are getting better every game.

At times today it was the same slick one touch passing of the weekend. Tomlin was masterful, did what he wants whenever he had the ball and has really hit his form. Paterson continues to look one of the biggest ever steals in the transfer market, and Bobby Reid was a bundle of energy again. Freeman is getting more and more tricky for opponents to play (such a shame he did a Bas Savage through on goal) and Pack ran the midfield. Solid and all very very good on the ball.

Hardest game for Abraham as we got pushed back a lot as a unit and he was really isolated and had little to work with, but yet again gave his all and is a positive influence on the pitch. Got to marvel at his maturity putting an arm round Tomlin after he lost his temper.

Little to criticise apart from a few more loose touches than Saturday but you can understand given the shift the players had to put in today against a much fitter team. Flint is bang back in form and to be honest it was probably Magnusson's worst game for us (few shanked passes) but only by his very high standards, and he made amends elsewhere.

Fulham on Saturday was as good as it gets but today was probably what the manager really is thrilled to see, a really gritty all encompassing performance that had both the slick ball movement going forward from Saturday but also a very resilient display of defending and self-belief.

Confidence continues to grow. Word for the ref, didn't see the Pack challenge for the goal but thought he gave most things Leeds way (free kicks for nothing) so don't know why Monk and their fans were so upset about it. And their nut job centre back hammering the ball into Raynes Road needs his head looking at. No surprise he was taken off at half time.

In the end it was two good teams but we were the better one. Shout out to Adam Baker for telling Monk where to go (and sit).

Fielding 7

Little 7 (Moore 6)

Bryan 6

Flint 8

Magnusson 6

Pack 8

Reid 8

Freeman 8

Paterson 9

Tomlin 9 (O'Neil 6)

Abraham 6 (Wilbraham 6)

Another massive win. As you say a hard fought win can be looked upon just as impressively as a thumping like Saturday.

Probaly marked Tomlin and Patterson one to many imo. Your right about Patterson though, an absolute steal. Thought Bryan had a poorish game and Reid got over run a few times. Tammy struggled tonight, lack of support and failed to hold onto it.

Flint back to his best ( including Saturday). Pack brilliant. Another assist for Tomlin. Going to miss him Saturday.

Things are really looking good ATM. Long may it continue.

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

During a bit of aggro, did Tomlin run across and raise a hand to the face of the Leeds defender? Radio Leeds suggested he should have been sent off for it...

He sure did, it was just before the corner came in. Had a good view from the Lansdown

Fair assessment. Thought Freeman was excellent tracking back and also threatened going forward. Paterson looked excellent, always used the ball well and very direct at times- agree he looks a steal. Tomlin has class about him but wasn't overly effective throughout despite timing the pass for pack perfectly. 

I was pleased to see flint doing the basics well and thought we looked solid at the back. Pack was quietly effective, battled hard and does a lot of the unattractive stuff. Think he was making a decoy run to try and give Tomlin space so was great to see a confident finish when thru. 

So... defensively solid, midfield working hard and showing real potential. Tammy up front hadn't much too feed off of. Was a great team performance with character and talent. Particularly impressive result given such a packed fixture schedule. Hoping for a repeat on saturday. 

21 minutes ago, #roe said:

It's funny how different people see different things.  Bryan was terrific second half and shut their dangerous-looking winger out every time.

Not sure about that, the only threat they had came down our left side. JB struggled with thst winger all night.

I thought Flint was MOM today, absolutely colossal at the back. We defended well tonight and although there's still work to do, nearly got found out down our left side, there's real promise here. As well as Bobby has played recently, I think he's still too lightweight to play where he does and I think Smith and O'Neil will be the No.1 pairing if both fit. Hope Bobby gets a chance in Tomlins role now he will be suspended.

19 minutes ago, #roe said:

It's funny how different people see different things.  Bryan was terrific second half and shut their dangerous-looking winger out every time.

I didn't think he was bad but he gave the Pogba Lite guy the ball a number of times, so if anything he made his work harder for himself and could have put us in bother. It says a lot that we talk about players with incredibly high standards being not quite so good. These are not the days of Richard Foster.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

During a bit of aggro, did Tomlin run across and raise a hand to the face of the Leeds defender? Radio Leeds suggested he should have been sent off for it...

Technically the nut job Taxi Driver haircut centre back raised his hands to the ref after being booked for trying to land a football in the Tobacco Factory. Would have been harsh though. Thought the game was played in the right spirit apart from his little meltdown.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Is anyone able to explain why the Leeds defender booted the ball out of the stadium after a goal kick had already been awarded?! It seemed bizarre!?!

The ball had burst and he decided he knew best where burst balls should go. His own teammates couldn't get him under control.

That was the toughest game of the season so far...wasn't  expecting it to be honest.

Bryan and Freeman ran themselves into the ground literally...both collapsed onto the floor at the end. Freemans 'Bas Savage' was down to his legs being gone.

I'd suggest if they were playing on the touchline nearest LJ he would have subbed them at some point.

Fantastic team effort...very disciplined.

Flint and Hordur were magnificent...both were under a lot of physical pressure tonight from Wood. What a poor first touch he has though.

Terrific ground out result tonight...Can expect a few changes for Saturday I expect. Some very tired looking players towards the end.

21 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure about that, the only threat they had came down our left side. JB struggled with thst winger all night.

Anyone would've struggled with Sacko. We should have bought him over the summer - I thought he was real class. Helped by the fact that Jo didn't seem to be able to see him.... he was given way too much space imo.

10 minutes ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

Anyone would've struggled with Sacko. We should have bought him over the summer - I thought he was real class. Helped by the fact that Jo didn't seem to be able to see him.... he was given way too much space imo.

Think it's something they work on in training, the full back doesn't push out to the winger until he receives the ball. It keeps the back four tight in the centre of the back line and reduces the option of a through ball through the middle.

1 hour ago, WesM said:

I thought Flint was MOM today, absolutely colossal at the back. We defended well tonight and although there's still work to do, nearly got found out down our left side, there's real promise here. As well as Bobby has played recently, I think he's still too lightweight to play where he does and I think Smith and O'Neil will be the No.1 pairing if both fit. Hope Bobby gets a chance in Tomlins role now he will be suspended.

Flint lived up to his name - a rock. 

He was totally immense for us.

I'd be tempted to give MOTM to Patterson though. Just so creative and controlled. 

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 22:59, Olé said:

Although we were under a lot more pressure down the wings I thought we picked up where we left off on Saturday against a much better and fitter team. We are getting better every game.

At times today it was the same slick one touch passing of the weekend. Tomlin was masterful, did what he wants whenever he had the ball and has really hit his form. Paterson continues to look one of the biggest ever steals in the transfer market, and Bobby Reid was a bundle of energy again. Freeman is getting more and more tricky for opponents to play (such a shame he did a Bas Savage through on goal) and Pack ran the midfield. Solid and all very very good on the ball.

Hardest game for Abraham as we got pushed back a lot as a unit and he was really isolated and had little to work with, but yet again gave his all and is a positive influence on the pitch. Got to marvel at his maturity putting an arm round Tomlin after he lost his temper.

Little to criticise apart from a few more loose touches than Saturday but you can understand given the shift the players had to put in today against a much fitter team. Flint is bang back in form and to be honest it was probably Magnússon's worst game for us (few shanked passes) but only by his very high standards, and he made amends elsewhere.

Fulham on Saturday was as good as it gets but today was probably what the manager really is thrilled to see, a really gritty all encompassing performance that had both the slick ball movement going forward from Saturday but also a very resilient display of defending and self-belief.

Confidence continues to grow. Word for the ref, didn't see the Pack challenge for the goal but thought he gave most things Leeds way (free kicks for nothing) so don't know why Monk and their fans were so upset about it. And their nut job centre back hammering the ball into Raynes Road needs his head looking at. No surprise he was taken off at half time.

In the end it was two good teams but we were the better one. Shout out to Adam Baker for telling Monk where to go (and sit).

Fielding 7

Little 7 (Moore 6)

Bryan 6

Flint 8

Magnússon 6

Pack 8

Reid 8

Freeman 8

Paterson 9

Tomlin 9 (O'Neil 6)

Abraham 6 (Wilbraham 6)

This and other reading material from this time last year; yes we are doing great.....so far....but we were then as well; in fact 5th on Oct 1st; so I am remaining cautious .....for now.

38 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

This and other reading material from this time last year; yes we are doing great.....so far....but we were then as well; in fact 5th on Oct 1st; so I am remaining cautious .....for now.

Good comparison.

We did well early last season and LJ was mentioned in association with the England job; not seriously but because he was something like the fourth highest placed English manager at the time.

Then the pitches got heavy and the fallings out started.

Without looking back I can't remember where it all went wrong? Maybe after Hull dumped us out if the cup, so I'm approaching the Crystal Palace game with caution. Of course at the time we didn't know it would turn into one loss after another and go on to be record breaking. I think we are stronger this season,  maybe Leko isn't quite a Tammy but we have better cover for each position and players who are prepared to put effort in and put their bodies in the line.

11 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

On 28/09/2016 at 00:06, spudski said:

Terrific ground out result tonight...Can expect a few changes for Saturday I expect. Some very tired looking players towards the end.

Two decent points here, one today (and it's a decent reality check for us all), but just as pertinently, one last year from Spud.

This time last year if we had tired players we didn't have the depth or quality to rest people without seriously damaging the team. We do now, and as has been said, when the heavy pitches come that could be vital 

Archived