IGNORED

Thick millionnaires.

Major Isewater

Unless some of these filthy rich football club owners are just lotto winners , one supposes that they have a certain amount of intelligence to have accumulated their fortunes , how come when they land their club do they turn into basket cases ?

Dr Zia , Tan  and company wtf ? 

It just amazes me .

Even our dear Mr Lansdown took ten years before the penny dropped.

Why ? 

For them this isn't a business to make money. A football club is nothing more than a status symbol or a toy that they may see as a welcome distraction from their own business. Then some, like it seems Mr Tan, get bored and stop caring. 

I've said it before but SL is in a minority when it comes to decent owners and the sooner we get all British clubs 51% owned by the fans then many decent fans will suffer through no fault of their own as to who has bought their club.

I often wonder why SL, who was considered one of the shrewdest businessmen in Bristol and also a shrewd investor would want to pump millions into BCFC.  I'm sure he knows that from a financial perspective, this is money down the drain, so must have invested for reasons other than financial.

I suppose at his age he must want to do something useful with his money as he can't take it with him and will leave enough to ensure his family are financially secure, so why not invest in something he enjoys like his football club and also do something that will benefit the many city fans and perhaps the city of Bristol as a whole.

Who knows, I may be wrong and BCFC will turn into a strong financial investment, but even success like promotion to the prem is going to cost even more to remain competitive despite TV rights, parachute payments, etc.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I often wonder why SL, who was considered one of the shrewdest businessmen in Bristol and also a shrewd investor would want to pump millions into BCFC.  I'm sure he knows that from a financial perspective, this is money down the drain, so must have invested for reasons other than financial.

I suppose at his age he must want to do something useful with his money as he can't take it with him and will leave enough to ensure his family are financially secure, so why not invest in something he enjoys like his football club and also do something that will benefit the many city fans and perhaps the city of Bristol as a whole.

Who knows, I may be wrong and BCFC will turn into a strong financial investment, but even success like promotion to the prem is going to cost even more to remain competitive despite TV rights, parachute payments, etc.

cos he loves us, and we're lush. Plus he is trying to create a sporting empire in Bristol

I get the impression that the world of football is populated with some very greedy, unscrupulous and competitive people.  The mix will always make it difficult to control because the various players, managers, agents and coaches do not always tell the truth about their capabilities - and then the FA are not always helpful with their interventions.  Small incidents in a game - and injury to a key player or a really duff refereeing decision, can easily dictate the fate of a manager, and owners see their cash running down the plughole and panic.  If they have been very successful in other lines of business, which would seem likely for them to have the pile of cash in the first place, then they might be overconfident to the extent where the believe that they can pick a new manager, who is more likely to win and get them out of trouble or where they want to be.  Every time a manager changes, he wants new and more expensive players - the owner feels honour bound to support, and maybe existing players on big contracts rot in the reserves.  It really can be a toxic cocktail and people like SL have been through the mill and learned the hard way.  His pockets are so deep that he has lasted long enough to have a great deal of experience.  As we have seen with other owners, like Birmingham, owners can put themselves under huge financial pressure and totally underestimate the cash needed to keep ailing clubs afloat.  The owners are not thick, they have simply entered the field as complete novices and are easily duped.  Most fields of business are fairly honest and straightforward - football appears to be a rats nest!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Unless some of these filthy rich football club owners are just lotto winners , one supposes that they have a certain amount of intelligence to have accumulated their fortunes , how come when they land their club do they turn into basket cases ?

It just amazes me .

Why ? 

The penny?

500 million of them more like!

6 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

What is then in it for the 49% investor?

And how would we have got the ground redeveloped?

What's in it for SL now? He could still invest. He'd still be adored by City fans. Nothing would change bar his % stake in the club which has been a massive drain on his bank account.

6 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Control.

And sale if he wanted to.

His financial muscle will give him control. We are still relying on his money to survive so all he'd have to do is play the 'my money my rules' card and he has his way. What the 51% rule does is in extreme situation like at Cardiff and Blackburn where if the owners turn out to be complete &*^%s then the fans are not held ransom by a disinterested and/or malicious owner. 

People often cry about why football is so cheap in Germany. The 51% rule is the answer. It works in Germany and people and companies do invest in the teams. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It just amazes me .

Why ? 

For the answer, read this or any forum. All of us think we know best re football, even if day to day work is nowhere near relevant to it - it looks easy.

Give most forum users the money, and, particularly if they've been successful at another business, they'll think this football lark can't be that hard and go at it by chucking money in a fantasy football way. If it goes well, they get the kudos. If it doesn't, they either follow the Tan route and can't be ar*ed any more or the SL route of taking a step back and getting pleasure from the result, even if you're not the do-er (being a fan helps...)

Short answer: Ego and Money!

Archived