IGNORED

Best footballer you have seen live

MC RISK77

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Best opposing player I've seen at Ashton Gate was probably either LuaLua (when he was at Colchester)

It's funny how some things stick in the memory for some of us - Lua-Lua came to mind for me too, albeit it was during a depressing midweek 0-0 or 1-1 under Pulis, he was absolutely sensational and got a standing ovation from the entire ground (partly aimed at spiting Pulis whose football at the time was utterly devoid of any purpose or skill).

Was also at the games where Eto'o and Gullit stood out a mile and agree with both of those although friendlies only.

My other highlights come from following Portugal at multiple tournaments as far back as 96. Rui Costa was just masterful to watch (Figo too, but Rui Costa just had this casualness and unselfishness, he made everything look so easy). I've seen Ronaldo at 3 or 4 tournaments and obviously few as good, but I'd say Éder for just 10 seconds in Paris in July. ;) 

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's funny how some things stick in the memory for some of us - Lua-Lua came to mind for me too, albeit it was during a depressing midweek 0-0 or 1-1 under Pulis, he was absolutely sensational and got a standing ovation from the entire ground (partly aimed at spiting Pulis whose football at the time was utterly devoid of any purpose or skill).

Was also at the games where Eto'o and Gullit stood out a mile and agree with both of those although friendlies only.

My other highlights come from following Portugal at multiple tournaments as far back as 96. Rui Costa was just masterful to watch (Figo too, but Rui Costa just had this casualness and unselfishness, he made everything look so easy). I've seen Ronaldo at 3 or 4 tournaments and obviously few as good, but I'd say Éder for just 10 seconds in Paris in July. ;) 

I thought this game was under Ward .

He did have a blinder that night

18 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

I thought this game was under Ward .

He did have a blinder that night

19/10/1999 so would have been Pulis. 7,777 at AG. Colchester sold him to Newcastle for £2.25m within a year (been Googling!)

50 minutes ago, Olé said:

Glad it isn't just keep who remembers that performance.

Also recall around the same time period Goodridge having an absolute stormer in a 5-1 how win against Luton. Possibly on a Friday night.

Looking at some of those highlights of George Best was great, it's easy to forget what a talent he was, having only seen him playing for Fulham on one of his comebacks. He really burned bright but for such a short time. 

The original question the best I have seen "live" so in order of when I saw them play.....

Bobby Charlton - playing for England against Wales in the late 60's 

Glenn Hoddle - From seeing him at the Gate playing for Tottenham reserves through to when he was player manager at Swindon just my absolute favourite.

Ossie Ardiles - Perhaps the most fluid mover I have ever seen on the pitch

9 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Hanson, different class, Dalglish just behind him superb.

After watching City beat Liverpool in the 70's, I recall having a heated debate with a Liverpool 'fan' at our school, in which I argued strongly that Gary Collier was a better centre half than Alan Hansen. And on that particular day, I was probably right :cool:

Messi on several occasions when visiting Barcelona,  great city to visit also.

On a side note, remember Frank Worthington hitting 50 yard cross field balls across AG against us with pinpoint accuracy when I was a kid. I was sat in the Dolman looking down on him, amazed at how accurate it was. Astounding left foot he had.

Alan Walsh had a bloody good left foot also.

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It was because he was Czech I think and they didn`t have anything like a decent side then so he never got to show it to the world. He was one of my favourite players of that era and I was made up that he played that night.

Czechs had a quality side for a number of years. Their golden era was something like 1994-2007, give or take. Got to a semi final and a final in said period, as well as regularly beating Holland and qualifying for their only WC.

As for the quality of the players- toss up between peak Ronaldinho who was one of quite a few Brazil players of that era who played in Europe and who fizzled out a lot too quick  and Eto'o in the City-Mallorca game!

Ronaldinho one was a game with a lot of quality too, Barcelona-Parma 2004.

Xabi Alonso (passing was just effortless, strolling around like it was a kick about at the park) , Didier Drogba (put fear into the opposition everytime he touched the ball), Antonio Di Natale (made football look easy) and Luis Suarez.

Not necesarily the best players I have ever seen, but performances on the day.

13 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Ok am agreeing with RR and am bored with the international break so wondered of the many ages and generations of fans we have here who the best player you have seen live is.

mine is Andrea pirlo during a stop at Milan, fantastic footballer.

on a separate note as in best footballers you have met I once had a wee next to Gordon banks and pele at stoke's Britannia stadium...anyone trump that?

interantional break is shite

2 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

Nice 1 . Didn't we reportedly offer a million straight after the game for him.

I didn't know that, but on a similar theme, didn't Keegan offer us £500,000 right after a league cup game at AG when Tristan Plummer played one of his first (and best) games for us? (I think Newcastle won 5-0 although Ginola's performance hasn't made this thread yet). If my reading of my Twitter feed in the past 24 hours is correct, is that same Tristan Plummer now on that ridiculous TV programme about people watching TV?

As others have said Ricky Villa for his performance on an icebound AG, for those too young and thinking we mean it had a slight coating if frost it was icebound, the Spurs keeper Kendall was actually knocked out when the back of his head banged against the hard ice!

The best player on a normal pitch I seen was Liam Brady, ran the show in a 3-1 Arsenal victory at AG in c.1978.

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

As others have said Ricky Villa for his performance on an icebound AG, for those too young and thinking we mean it had a slight coating if frost it was icebound, the Spurs keeper Kendall was actually knocked out when the back of his head banged against the hard ice!

Would never even start now.

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Would never even start now.

I remember the turnstiles opened about 30 mins later than usual as the match was in doubt but then the sun got to half the pitch and thawed it slightly. The other half that was in shade was still rock solid towards the covered end where Kendall was knocked out.

Archived