IGNORED

Best footballer you have seen live

MC RISK77

33 minutes ago, Olé said:

I didn't know that, but on a similar theme, didn't Keegan offer us £500,000 right after a league cup game at AG when Tristan Plummer played one of his first (and best) games for us? (I think Newcastle won 5-0 although Ginola's performance hasn't made this thread yet). If my reading of my Twitter feed in the past 24 hours is correct, is that same Tristan Plummer now on that ridiculous TV programme about people watching TV?

That was def Dwayne Plummer not Tristan 

but yes Tristan went on googlebox

55 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, didn't see that, didn't think anyone else was OLD enough to remember it !:cool:

No you're not, I remember my dad laughing every time Villa got the ball humming "tip toe, through the tulips" :) . He was excellent that day considering I always thought Spurs signed him just to be Ardiles' minder! 

16 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Ok am agreeing with RR and am bored with the international break so wondered of the many ages and generations of fans we have here who the best player you have seen live is.

mine is Andrea pirlo during a stop at Milan, fantastic footballer.

on a separate note as in best footballers you have met I once had a wee next to Gordon banks and pele at stoke's Britannia stadium...anyone trump that?

interantional break is shite

Dennis Bergkamp

Luis Suarez is a great player, I couldn't believe how quick he was when I saw him live. Horrible bloke but a fantastic footballer. 

The other I'd mention is Ruud Gullitt. He was a Rolls Royce of a player, made everything look absolutely effortless. 

16 hours ago, archie andrews said:

against us id say liam brady circ 78-80

stan collymore 93

graham rix 88

I was going to say Liam Brady. I remember him scoring from the left wing with a curling shot into top right corner against us at the Gate (open end) during the 1st div days.

Would also say that Martin O'Neill was one of the best individually talented players I've seen at the Gate as well. 

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

So only one person has seen the greatest maradona live this far? I guess not too many people took a holiday in Naples during his pomp

I saw him once:  he played for Rest of the World v the Football League in a centenary game in 1987.  I recall 3 Chelsea lads with NF tattoos sat in front of me roundly booing him for the duration.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/football-league-v-rest-of-the-world-08-august-1987-240579/

4 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

George Best

Saw him play twice for Man U, the first time he was brilliant the second time he was rubbish, don't think his 'golden years' lasted all that long. Also saw Cruyff live playing for Ajax, he was probably the best I've seen. Against City, Rodney Marsh looked outstanding, remember him giving Geoff Merrick the runaround at Loftus Road, he was unplayable that day, no reflection on Merrick. We lost 3-0 but I still enjoyed the match!

I went up to Liverpool to watch them play Middlesborough and Jari Litmaanen was mesmerising. No pace but wonderful skill and vision,  and watching him and Gary Mcallister pinging 50 yard passes to each other during the warm up was a joy. 

And have to agree with previous posts about Samuel Et'oo at the Gate,  that game he was incredible

I'm lucky enough to have seen most of the great players of recent times play live at least once - and the one thing that always sticks in my mind is other players 70 or 80 yards away reacting differently when one particular player received the ball. That player was Lionel Messi, who I saw live for Barcelona when they won 6-0 at Atletico Madrid in 2007. 

I'd have to add Luis Suarez too, sadly...absolutely lethal against England in São Paulo, where unfortunately Uruguay's only 2 efforts on target in the entire match fell to him, resulting in 2 goals. 

Zidane had a quiet first 91 minutes against England in Lisbon in 2004 but then got 2 stoppage time goals to beat us (common thread here is Steven Gerrard mistakes leading to goals by Suarez and Zidane, but that's a different story). 

Ronaldo and Henry both had quiet games whenever I've seen them live. 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Czechs had a quality side for a number of years. Their golden era was something like 1994-2007, give or take. Got to a semi final and a final in said period, as well as regularly beating Holland and qualifying for their only WC.

As for the quality of the players- toss up between peak Ronaldinho who was one of quite a few Brazil players of that era who played in Europe and who fizzled out a lot too quick  and Eto'o in the City-Mallorca game!

Ronaldinho one was a game with a lot of quality too, Barcelona-Parma 2004.

He never really got the chance to shine on the world stage though which is sad. While he was playing for them they got to the final at Euro 96, were knocked out in the groups at Euro 2000 and got to the semis at Euro 04. They only qualified for one world cup - 2006 - and got knocked out in the groups. If you followed European football you knew how good he was but the rest of the world never got to see it. I`m just glad I did see him live.

Archived