IGNORED

Best footballer you have seen live

MC RISK77

Best individual perfomance I've ever watched live was ledley king playing for England ( euro 2004 Portugal) he was like a rolls Royce of football. If only his knee injury hadn't robbed him of the chance of playing at his prime !

At Ashton gate always sticks out for me was a cold Tuesday night when lomana lua lua was playing  for Colchester and he actually won the game on his own and recieved a standing ovation from the city fans. 

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I know he has been mentioned before but Kenny Dalglish had something very special about him, the way he could turn in a small space was amazing to watch.

Particularly given he possessed the biggest arse in football since Fatty Foulke hung up his boots.

Diego Maradona at wembley in a 3-1 victory for England

it was like watching 21 players walking on the moon and 1 player with a ball attached to his foot with such speed skill and vision

yes he turned out to be a cheating scumbag but he was 18 or so then and that his performance is still in my mind means he was quite phenomenal 

13 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I remember the turnstiles opened about 30 mins later than usual as the match was in doubt but then the sun got to half the pitch and thawed it slightly. The other half that was in shade was still rock solid towards the covered end where Kendall was knocked out.

I was only a young un  back then but it was the first time I saw Glenn Hoddle . He became my football god that day . 

The best performance I've seen would be David Beckham in Munich in 2001. Up to that point I could not understand the hype and was convinced Paul Scholes was twice the player.

Having watched the game many times since, itso a performance you sadly could only appreciate if you were there.  He was just involved in everything but not just that, everytime he had the ball, offered himself as outlet, battled back in the midfield, it was sheer class. His touch on the ball. Was outstanding, his movement relentless, his vision and awareness flawless. 

I watched in awe that night and have never seen a performance like it since. 

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The best performance I've seen would be David Beckham in Munich in 2001. Up to that point I could not understand the hype and was convinced Paul Scholes was twice the player.

Having watched the game many times since, itso a performance you sadly could only appreciate if you were there.  He was just involved in everything but not just that, everytime he had the ball, offered himself as outlet, battled back in the midfield, it was sheer class. His touch on the ball. Was outstanding, his movement relentless, his vision and awareness flawless. 

I watched in awe that night and have never seen a performance like it since. 

Slightly different tack that, best performance would be Zidane in Real's 4-2 win over Marseille about 12 years ago. For 40 minutes Real were absolutely hopeless. Then Zidane woke up and ran the show, he hardly moved out of the centre circle. Honourable mention for Beckham that night too, Zidane kept putting him in acres of space and the crosses rained in.

Happy days.

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

He never really got the chance to shine on the world stage though which is sad. While he was playing for them they got to the final at Euro 96, were knocked out in the groups at Euro 2000 and got to the semis at Euro 04. They only qualified for one world cup - 2006 - and got knocked out in the groups. If you followed European football you knew how good he was but the rest of the world never got to see it. I`m just glad I did see him live.

Seeing him live sounds a real treat. Czechs only making one WC definitely deprived a wider audience as you say. Think as a National team surprised they only made one WC with those players.

I seem to recall the year Greece won it he either was injured or banned in the semi.

On 10/6/2016 at 20:48, samo II said:

Samuel Eto'o in his last game for Mallocra in a friendly against City down the Gate.

Even though it was a friendly, and even though we were League One side at the time, his effortless skill and intensity in what was a non-competitive match was phenomenal.

You could see his fellow players enjoyed playing with him, and I've no doubt they were inspired by him.

Might have been enhanced by the context, but his performance certainly stuck with me.

Samuel Eto'o played at Ashton Gate?

When the frigg did this happen?

4 minutes ago, clerk said:

Samuel Eto'o played at Ashton Gate?

When the frigg did this happen?

August 2003.  Attached photos (not mine btw; I was in the Atyeo) show Eto'o, and the empty away end and scoreboard - best moment was Lee Peacock scoring for us in the second half, and everyone chanting "you're not singing anymore"!

Also; wanted to add that saw Michael Owen play for England Schoolboys at the old Wembley versus Germany, and even though we lost 4-2, Owen scored and you could already see he'd be a big player - easily the best individual on the pitch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

Has to be George Best. Second only to Pele for best ever.

If it wasn't for the fact he was lopsided and couldn't avoid the drink and was in multiple car crashes, Garrincha might have ran Pele close.

Brazil never lost a game where both Pele and Garrincha played- Garrincha was only a part of a losing Brazil side 1 time!

He had a similarity with Freeman in that he would try and take players on several times in one piece of play, but with 2 key differences.

1.He managed it.

2, He gave an end product.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If it wasn't for the fact he was lopsided and couldn't avoid the drink and was in multiple car crashes, Garrincha might have ran Pele close.

Brazil never lost a game where both Pele and Garrincha played- Garrincha was only a part of a losing Brazil side 1 time!

He had a similarity with Freeman in that he would try and take players on several times in one piece of play, but with 2 key differences.

1.He managed it.

2, He gave an end product.

I think the fact that Garrenchia had one leg shorter than t'other would have made it difficult for him to run Pele close.

Unless he ran with the shorter leg next o Pele! :)

Think about it.......

6 hours ago, samo II said:

August 2003.  Attached photos (not mine btw; I was in the Atyeo) show Eto'o, and the empty away end and scoreboard - best moment was Lee Peacock scoring for us in the second half, and everyone chanting "you're not singing anymore"!

Also; wanted to add that saw Michael Owen play for England Schoolboys at the old Wembley versus Germany, and even though we lost 4-2, Owen scored and you could already see he'd be a big player - easily the best individual on the pitch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Our Aaron Brown played for England in that game too, I went on a school trip to watch it

Archived