IGNORED

One for the future?

Port Said Red

OK, as my previous timewasting piece of nonsense (sorry thread) went so well here's another one to keep some of us occupied.

Players you have seen as youngsters and thought, "I'll remember that name, that lads going places". But for some reason they just don't develop in the way you hoped.

A couple of City ones to start us off.......... 

John Bain - probably the most cultured player at our club during the first division days, but rarely got a look in due to AD's loyalty and the fact there was only one sub in those days i guess. We sold him to Portland Timbers in the US, wiki says .....  During five seasons with the Timbers, Bain became one of the team's all-time greatest players. He would go on to score 45 goals and assist on 55 others in 148 games giving him the Timbers' record for career goals and assists. He now coaches at youth level in the US.

Steven Gillespie - I got very excited when I saw him score a hat trick in his trial match for us but he never quite hit the level I thought he would, Liverpool were right to let him go it seems. He had a reasonable career in the lower leagues, particularly for Cheltenham and Colchester, but at the grand old age of 31 he is now playing for Warrington Town in the Northern Premier league.

Robert Stambolziev - I thought he looked every inch a striker each time I saw him in an academy game and wasn't surprised when he went to a Champions league club, even if it was Panathinaikos. After a bit of travelling he is back in the UK with the mighty Kidderminster Harriers!

In one of the games I saw Stambolziev play there was a lad playing for QPR called Josh Parker - a right footed winger who looked unplayable once he switched to the left wing, he scored one of the best goals I have seen at any level and inspired a comeback from 3-0 down to beat our kids 5-3 in extra time. According to Wikipedia he is no longer with a club having finished last season at Red Star Belgrade and having a spell on loan at Aberdeen! He's only 26.

I wonder where it all went wrong for these lads? 

There are others, but I'll let you guys add some.

For me it was Steven Caulker. I thought he was a cut above all of our players and saved us countless points in a difficult season. When he then went on to play and score for England, I thought it was a matter of time before he became a regular. 

Also, whatever happened to Jennison Myrie-Williams? I can remember him scoring a delightful chip in front of the old East End. Thought he had a bit of talent. Now playing for Newport according to Wikipedia.

Sometimes it can be because they were blighted by injury, I am sure a few of the older guys on here can remember Gary Shaw scoring a hat trick for Aston Villa down here and thinking he would be an England player for years to come. 

Or even Tommy Docherty. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

OK, as my previous timewasting piece of nonsense (sorry thread) went so well here's another one to keep some of us occupied.

Players you have seen as youngsters and thought, "I'll remember that name, that lads going places". But for some reason they just don't develop in the way you hoped.

John Bain - probably the most cultured player at our club during the first division days, but rarely got a look in due to AD's loyalty and the fact there was only one sub in those days i guess. We sold him to Portland Timbers in the US, wiki says .....  During five seasons with the Timbers, Bain became one of the team's all-time greatest players. He would go on to score 45 goals and assist on 55 others in 148 games giving him the Timbers' record for career goals and assists. He now coaches at youth level in the US.

Steven Gillespie - I got very excited when I saw him score a hat trick in his trial match for us but he never quite hit the level I thought he would, Liverpool were right to let him go it seems. He had a reasonable career in the lower leagues, particularly for Cheltenham and Colchester, but at the grand old age of 31 he is now playing for Warrington Town in the Northern Premier league.

Robert Stambolziev - I thought he looked every inch a striker each time I saw him in an academy game and wasn't surprised when he went to a Champions league club, even if it was Panathinaikos. After a bit of travelling he is back in the UK with the mighty Kidderminster Harriers!

In one of the games I saw Stambolziev play there was a lad playing for QPR called Josh Parker - a right footed winger who looked unplayable once he switched to the left wing, he scored one of the best goals I have seen at any level and inspired a comeback from 3-0 down to beat our kids 5-3 in extra time. According to Wikipedia he is no longer with a club having finished last season at Red Star Belgrade and having a spell on loan at Aberdeen! He's only 26.

Bain should have been in the team, as should Colin Lee, but we effectively abandoned our successful youth system when we were promoted. What a waste.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Bain should have been in the team, as should Colin Lee, but we effectively abandoned our successful youth system when we were promoted. What a waste.

The trouble was that in those days of one sub, it was difficult to give players a run out, we had a team with an average age of 22 as it was, we never seem to sell many of them in those days so there was never any progression.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

The trouble was that in those days of one sub, it was difficult to give players a run out, we had a team with an average age of 22 as it was, we never seem to sell many of them in those days so there was never any progression.

Fair comment, though, much as I liked Cormack and Royle, I would have preferred us to use Bain and Lee and be true to our policy. It would have been better for the club in the long term, not least financially.

My guess is that the current regime would have been ready to sell one or two of the others to keep the ball rolling so to speak.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Good calls . 

Seem to remember being impressed with a loan player we took from Palace many moons back. Pretty sure he was a winger called Tommy Black. 

A boxing day game away at Brentford for some reason stands out for me as possibly being his best performance for us. Thought he looked a real talent.

Add to that Dani Rodriguez on loan from Southampton who also looked class until that horrific leg break at the Gate.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Seem to remember being impressed with a loan player we took from Palace many moons back. Pretty sure he was a winger called Tommy Black. 

A boxing day game away at Brentford for some reason stands out for me as possibly being his best performance for us. Thought he looked a real talent.

Add to that Dani Rodriguez on loan from Southampton who also looked class until that horrific leg break at the Gate.

Yes to Tommy Black, I remember thinking I hadn't seen anyone who could cross a ball like that playing for us. Looking at his WIki page it appears he has made a few bad career choices, e.g. choosing to go Southend in 2008 instead of Watford! 

There is the elephant in the room which I am loathe to mention because it usually sparks a whole other debate, but JET? A man with that kind of talent shouldn't be bumming around in League 1 should he? Even this season on the C5 highlights I have seen him do things that have lit up the game, it's heartbreaking in a way.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There is the elephant in the room which I am loathe to mention because it usually sparks a whole other debate, but JET? A man with that kind of talent shouldn't be bumming around in League 1 should he? Even this season the C5 highlights I have seen him do things that have lit up the game, it's heartbreaking in a way.

Unfortunately he is like one of those freestyle footballers the kids like. 

Bags of individual talent but just not good enough to be a top class team player.

Too good for League One but not good enough for the Championship. Much like Pack, Reid and Freeman  (if this forum is to be believed).

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There is the elephant in the room which I am loathe to mention because it usually sparks a whole other debate, but JET? A man with that kind of talent shouldn't be bumming around in League 1 should he? Even this season on the C5 highlights I have seen him do things that have lit up the game, it's heartbreaking in a way.

Agreed, and the same was true of David Noble, for different reasons I think. For JET I get the impression that football is not the most important thing for him.

In the mid-90's we had a whole crop of young players on the fringes of the squad. This was mainly due to the cash drying up and Osman clearing out a host of playeres, but they were given an opportunity. Of that crop only Jim Brennan really broke through and went on to better things.

I remember seeing players such as Scot Paterson and Scot Partridge, Rodney McAree, Jason Fowler, Mike Wyatt and the unfortunately named Colin Loss, all get a chance in the side. Most left us to wander around the lower leagues.

I thought of the group the two Scots could have gone on to better things but they were at City at the wrong time.

Archived